Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
    Nice job locke40. I got both sections falling on video, the first from the garage roof on the 1B side, the last from just about right next to you. There were about 40 people outside NYS taking pix of that last section going down, about 10-15 of them NYY employees that came out of the Stadium just before it fell. GATE 2 ALERT! It is scheduled to fall next Tuesday.
    I hope that you post those videos. I was stuck at work all day, so I couldn't make it up to the Bronx.
    sigpic

Comment

Nice job locke40. I got both sections falling on video, the first from the garage roof on the 1B side, the last from just about right next to you. There were about 40 people outside NYS taking pix of that last section going down, about 10-15 of them NYY employees that came out of the Stadium just before it fell. GATE 2 ALERT! It is scheduled to fall next Tuesday.
      I also heard from a source gate 2 is going on tuesday. Looks like im making a trip in.
      www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

Any word on how they are demoing Gate 2? Are they doing it all at once or taking it apart piece by piece?

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
          When was that request made? Did you receive a response?

And changing the name of the park is a small and hollow victory IMO. Making that request also gave the Design Commission the opportunity to throw us a bone - but not the one we would have wanted. That never should have been brought up as it took focus off of the primary goal.
          The Committee's name is the COMMITTEE TO COMMEMORATE OLD YANKEE STADIUM, and saving Gate 2 is part of that commemoration...and so is the renaming of the Park. It's not a small and hollow victory IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
            Gary, unfortunately, it seems like you and Bobby are the only baseball-fever guys that are able to get up to the Bronx on a consistent basis. Just think, without you two, we probably would only have random demolition photos, and not know what is going on up there at all. I predict that baseball fans 200 years from now will know your name.
            The ironic thing is that we are both Mets fans!!!!!

Originally posted by locke40 View Post
            I couldn't tell you the first thing about stamp collecting, and a stamp collecting expert would probably laugh at my incompetence.
            I have been a member of the American Philatelic Society since 1986, and I'm a Life Member of the American First Day Cover Society. Also wrote this page-turner...

X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Hopefully the balconies and/or medallions survive in one shape or fashion. If they are in an condition to be sold to collectors, why not sell them( even if they are broken into pieces, if they are recognizable they could be sold....)?

Guess the next 3 days of work is to separate Gate 2 from the rest of the structure and clean up the upper deck remains.

Gary and Bobby, I hope you people plan to take the day off work next week so you can camp out at the site to see Gate 2 go down. It will be a tragedy to miss documenting it.
              Last edited by quagmire; 03-25-2010, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Two hours before the last upper deck piece falls(Standing room only):

And the crowds got bigger. Only one way to remedy this. Take to the sky:

Comment

• You would think removing the tension cables would make it easier to bring the upper deck down......

Or were they the only thing holding up the upper deck when the workers cut the steel beams?
                  Last edited by quagmire; 03-25-2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• Looks like Gary made it out.

Comment

• Yea I would like to also thank Gary and others for getting out there and taking those pictures! All of you guys do amazing work and despite the sadness of seeing the place go, you guys are documenting history!

Comment

• The last thing they did was cut the tension cables

Last edited by 410 FT; 03-26-2010, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• Well there goes the piece of the upper deck I remember most fondly. It was in that section I saw batting practice balls fly over my head off the bat of Reggie. It is also a section that I remember watching a Pags game winner sail into as I sat in the first row of the Lodge third base side. Grand slam against Reardon of the Twins. It is was against that facing that I saw the hardest ball I've ever seen hit. Kirk Gibson of the Tigers blasted a home run against that facing so hard it was unbelievable. It was a line shot that was still rising. I saw it from the upper deck in left, above gate 2. So I had a clear sight of the trajectory. Went it hit it was "BOOM!" It echoed all around hushed stadium. People cheered him, as well they should.

So it's all gone. The most imposing upper deck that ever was. It wouldn't hurt nearly as much if the new stadium didn't blow so hard and long. But it does. It the new stadium ever dreams it's as good as the old one it better wake up apologizing. I hope Yankee brass is happy. Ignorance is bliss. And this is one ignorant and blissful organization. Words like "pride" and "tradition" mean nothing to this organization now. They have ripped apart the one constant in Yankee greatness. Their home. The new place wasn't even their first choice. I have finally gotten around to reading Torre's Yankee Years and in the first few pages it tells of Steinbrenner telling Cone if he signs in '96 he'll be playing in the new West side stadium in a few years. All for the buck. I know it's a business and I'm no culture warrior. I love success and my hat is off to anyone who can make huge bucks. But when you've made your bread and butter touting "pride" "tradition" and "Legacy" you don't do something as mind blowing as tearing down the most important sports facility in the history of this country, if not the plantet. You be creative and find ways of preserving it while still making the buck. It's clear it could have been remodeled again. It would have taken some effort and creativity but organizations that treasure things like "pride" and "tradition" find a way. Just tear the rest of it down already and get it over with. I'll be spending my bucks at local high school games and feeling damn fine doing it. Oh, I'll wind up at the new stadium someday. But the days of me making 5-10 trips a year to see the Yankees play are over. And this is why.

Your pal,

Maxy
                          Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• New pictures from WCBS' website.

http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/6665033...1csR7saul_ufwq
                            Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
                            Ernest Hemingway
                            “The Old Man and the Sea”

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                              Well there goes the piece of the upper deck I remember most fondly. It was in that section I saw batting practice balls fly over my head off the bat of Reggie. It is also a section that I remember watching a Pags game winner sail into as I sat in the first row of the Lodge third base side. Grand slam against Reardon of the Twins. It is was against that facing that I saw the hardest ball I've ever seen hit. Kirk Gibson of the Tigers blasted a home run against that facing so hard it was unbelievable. It was a line shot that was still rising. I saw it from the upper deck in left, above gate 2. So I had a clear sight of the trajectory. Went it hit it was "BOOM!" It echoed all around hushed stadium. People cheered him, as well they should.

So it's all gone. The most imposing upper deck that ever was. It wouldn't hurt nearly as much if the new stadium didn't blow so hard and long. But it does. It the new stadium ever dreams it's as good as the old one it better wake up apologizing. I hope Yankee brass is happy. Ignorance is bliss. And this is one ignorant and blissful organization. Words like "pride" and "tradition" mean nothing to this organization now. They have ripped apart the one constant in Yankee greatness. Their home. The new place wasn't even their first choice. I have finally gotten around to reading Torre's Yankee Years and in the first few pages it tells of Steinbrenner telling Cone if he signs in '96 he'll be playing in the new West side stadium in a few years. All for the buck. I know it's a business and I'm no culture warrior. I love success and my hat is off to anyone who can make huge bucks. But when you've made your bread and butter touting "pride" "tradition" and "Legacy" you don't do something as mind blowing as tearing down the most important sports facility in the history of this country, if not the plantet. You be creative and find ways of preserving it while still making the buck. It's clear it could have been remodeled again. It would have taken some effort and creativity but organizations that treasure things like "pride" and "tradition" find a way. Just tear the rest of it down already and get it over with. I'll be spending my bucks at local high school games and feeling damn fine doing it. Oh, I'll wind up at the new stadium someday. But the days of me making 5-10 trips a year to see the Yankees play are over. And this is why.

Your pal,

Maxy
                              Does this mean you'll stop posting in the NYS thread also? (Please say yes..)
                              Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
                              Ernest Hemingway
                              “The Old Man and the Sea”

sigpic

Comment

• These photos were taken from behind, in the parking garage...
                                It was the first of the last two sections that were taken down yesterday. 3/25/2010..

"We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X