Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
    If you remember in 2008, when they had ex and current players reminiscing about The Stadium, every single one said it was the best place to play baseball in all of the major leagues. They would say that everything that was old and "dumpy" about it was the exact reason they liked it.
    The players in 2009 raved in awe, over NYS last year..

If OYS was still in existence in it's true form, then replacing it would've been sacrilege..
    But because the original charm was destroyed in the early 70's, it doesn't bother me as much, as it would have if they were tearing down OYS, and not RYS..
    Plus the fact that I do love NYS..

IMO, the more serious crime happened in 1974-1975, not 2009-2010..
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• So far no OUTSIDE work on Gate 2

Comment

• Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
        Two hours before the last upper deck piece falls(Standing room only):

And the crowds got bigger. Only one way to remedy this. Take to the sky:

I never thought I'd be so sad about a building coming down the way I am about this one. So many memories it's sad to see it in this state, not to long ago I was enjoying a game with my friends on one of the hottest days in NYC in 2008 :'(

Comment

I'm sorry, but I disagree. The best, richest, and most historical franchise deserved this Stadium; The Stadium. If you remember in 2008, when they had ex and current players reminiscing about The Stadium, every single one said it was the best place to play baseball in all of the major leagues. They would say that everything that was old and "dumpy" about it was the exact reason they liked it. Everyone always talks about the memories made in The Stadium; unfortunately, there was A LOT more to it than just that. The architecture of the Stadium is what is being lost, and can never be replaced.
          i hear ya, but not everyone are stadium or historian junkies like us who spend alot of time on these forums. I love all these construction, demo and just historical reference threads of ballparks past.. great stuff. But i bet many Yankee fans love the new park and didnt bother them either way that The Old park is being torn down, my father being one of them and he went to the Pologrounds, OYS , RYS and NYS. His view is different , he seen all the parks and palyers and has fond memories of all, but is all for progress.. History is made everyday, think 60-80 years down the line and all the Yankeee greats that will have played in the NYS and even more championships, and then talks will sprout up about a new Ball park to be built on the site of OYS again and those new generations will be up in arms over it..

Comment

I'm sorry, but I disagree. The best, richest, and most historical franchise deserved this Stadium; The Stadium. If you remember in 2008, when they had ex and current players reminiscing about The Stadium, every single one said it was the best place to play baseball in all of the major leagues. They would say that everything that was old and "dumpy" about it was the exact reason they liked it. Everyone always talks about the memories made in The Stadium; unfortunately, there was A LOT more to it than just that. The architecture of the Stadium is what is being lost, and can never be replaced.
            The real Stadium could have been improved upon to meet today's wide girthed and attention deficit plagued baseball fan. There was no good reason for such an historical gem to have been torn apart like a common street building.
            Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by DN4L View Post
              The players in 2009 raved in awe, over NYS last year..

If OYS was still in existence in it's true form, then replacing it would've been sacrilege..
              But because the original charm was destroyed in the early 70's, it doesn't bother me as much, as it would have if they were tearing down OYS, and not RYS..
              Plus the fact that I do love NYS..

IMO, the more serious crime happened in 1974-1975, not 2009-2010..
              Kevin Millar was not in awe. Stadium slam! Blue Jays' Kevin Millar rips new Yankee Stadium

The Phillies were also not in awe. As hard it is to say, I agree with them. It just didn't feel like a World Series. Yankee Stadium has been a Mausoleum
              sigpic

Comment

Kevin Millar was not in awe. Stadium slam! Blue Jays' Kevin Millar rips new Yankee Stadium

The Phillies were also not in awe. As hard it is to say, I agree with them. It just didn't feel like a World Series. Yankee Stadium has been a Mausoleum

Kevin Millar is a luitenant in Al-Chowda Nation..
                So his opinion doesn't count... :P

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about the tearing down of an American landmark, and I'm pissed that they're not going to save Gate 2..
                But what kills me more than anything else, is that I never stepped foot inside OYS...
                "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by DN4L View Post
                  Kevin Millar is a luitenant in Al-Chowda Nation..
                  So his opinion doesn't count... :P

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about the tearing down of an American landmark, and I'm pissed that they're not going to save Gate 2..
                  But what kills me more than anything else, is that I never stepped foot inside OYS...
                  Same here. But I have looked and poured over so many photographs of the Old Stadium, that I almost feel like I have been there. Obviously it's no where near the same experience, but it's as close as we can get. I always think that in the afterlife, I can go and watch the Babe and Gehrig play at the Old Stadium.
                  sigpic

Comment

From demolitionofyankeestadium (attached, not hotlinked, Joe):

[ATTACH]83645[/ATTACH]
                    Don't think we'll be spotting any more catwalks...

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                      I also heard from a source gate 2 is going on tuesday. Looks like im making a trip in.
                      Dude... while you're there, steal in and grab us a terracotta piece or two, will ya?

Comment

• Majesty Destroyed

It's hard to stomach.

Upper Deck Collapse (Slow).gif
                        sigpic

Comment

• Since it looks like Gate 2 is going down next week . . . let's make one more effort to preserve SOMETHING.

Please contact Parks Commissioner Benepe, teh NYC Design Commision and Bronx Boro Pres. Diaz TODAY and urge them to have some key artifacts removed and reinstalled in the new park. We need EVERYONE to contact them - the quantity of requests they receive today is what matters.

Benepe: http://nyc.gov/html/mail/html/maildpr.html

Design Commission: http://nyc.gov/html/mail/html/mailartcom.html

Diaz (email address): [email protected]

Here is what I sent today, feel free to cut/paste/edit:

GATE 2 ARTIFACTS:

With the demolition of Yankee Stadium’s exterior wall scheduled to commence next week, potentially starting with Gate 2, I most strongly urge you to remove several architecturally significant elements from the Gate (the three balconies with terra-cotta inserts and two terra-cotta emblems) for reinstallation as historically-relevant, decorative elements within the Park.

Since these artifacts are from the 1920’s Stadium, they would nicely complement the already planned-for artifacts from the 1970’s
                          renovated Stadium (the two sections of Frieze, the field outline and the Bat). Adding these additional artifacts to the Park would “complete the timeline” of the Stadium, providing elements from both the original and renovated Stadium.

Preserving these small, but very significant artifacts would go a long way in preserving and presenting the full history of old Yankee Stadium in the Park. It is certainly a low cost/effort-high value proposition.

Comment

:applaud:

I used to LOVE when balls hit the facing of the upper deck. Even on foul balls, it would make this loud and distinctive sound. I remember one game in 2008, I was sitting in the first row of the upper deck right behind the Yankees dugout. A foul ball came flying up toward us and hit the facing, and made this huge sound; it seemed like everyone in the Stadium gasped because it was so loud. When I heard that sound, for some reason I leaned over and started hitting the facing of the upper deck with my hand. I have to tell you, it was exhilarating being able to make the entire Stadium look at me. I even noticed a few Yankee players turning around looking up at me. It was amazing. In the NYS, the facing of the decks is that ugly-ass wire meshing, and makes absolutely no sound when balls or hands hit it (trust me, I've tried). These little things about the RYS I will miss, and my children will never know existed.
                            Even more interesting than that sound was the sound that the ball made when hitting the railings, like a loud muted dong. Once in 99 I was sitting in Section 8 2nd or 3rd row. O'neill fouled one up and back so fast that I didn't even see it coming, off that rail - DONG!!! - and bounced back about two feet over my head. If I was quicker I could have barehanded it but a guy two rows behind me leaned over the guy in front (who was probably watching in terror as it flew toward his own head) and pulled it in. God DAMN I'm going to miss this place...

Comment

• I'm thinking those wire seats floating up in the air will be classy enough to remember the greatest sports venue of all time. Maybe a Manneken Piss statue taking a leak on a Yankee cap, too. Other than that, I'm good.
                              Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                                Since it looks like Gate 2 is going down next week . . . let's make one more effort to preserve SOMETHING.

Please contact Parks Commissioner Benepe, teh NYC Design Commision and Bronx Boro Pres. Diaz TODAY and urge them to have some key artifacts removed and reinstalled in the new park. We need EVERYONE to contact them - the quantity of requests they receive today is what matters.

Benepe: http://nyc.gov/html/mail/html/maildpr.html

Design Commission: http://nyc.gov/html/mail/html/mailartcom.html

Diaz (email address): [email protected]

Here is what I sent today, feel free to cut/paste/edit:

GATE 2 ARTIFACTS:

With the demolition of Yankee Stadium’s exterior wall scheduled to commence next week, potentially starting with Gate 2, I most strongly urge you to remove several architecturally significant elements from the Gate (the three balconies with terra-cotta inserts and two terra-cotta emblems) for reinstallation as historically-relevant, decorative elements within the Park.

Since these artifacts are from the 1920’s Stadium, they would nicely complement the already planned-for artifacts from the 1970’s
                                renovated Stadium (the two sections of Frieze, the field outline and the Bat). Adding these additional artifacts to the Park would “complete the timeline” of the Stadium, providing elements from both the original and renovated Stadium.

Preserving these small, but very significant artifacts would go a long way in preserving and presenting the full history of old Yankee Stadium in the Park. It is certainly a low cost/effort-high value proposition.
                                Nice work, SparkyL. I filled out the forms and sent the emails to each one of those men. Godspeed to us.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X