No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even though some accounts have Lou's speech using the word "THIS", i hear it as "THE", absolutely, no question about it. I cant make it out to be any other word except "THE". This being said, i cant believe websites can have such an important thing like this wrong. Its a travesty. Lou pronounces it as its the word THEE, there is NO WAY it could be THIS.

Pardon my rant, but this is way too important to get wrong. I have respect beyond belief for Lou Gehrig, and this is the most famous speech in baseball history, maybe in sports history, and its gotta be correct. I dont consider it petty.
    Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 03-27-2010, 09:17 AM.
    I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

• One question about Lou's speech. How come the words that he speaks seem different from the words in any transcript i've seen of it?

"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans.

Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn’t consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day? Sure, I’m lucky. Who wouldn’t consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball’s greatest empire, Ed Barrow? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Sure, I'm lucky.

When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends you a gift — that’s something. When everybody down to the groundskeepers and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies — that’s something. When you have a wonderful mother-in-law who takes sides with you in squabbles with her own daughter — that's something. When you have a father and a mother who work all their lives so that you can have an education and build your body — it's a blessing. When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed — that's the finest I know.

So I close in saying that I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for. Thank you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRvrI...eature=related

It sounds like he's saying: "When you look around, wouldn't you consider it a priveledge to associate yourself with such a fine looking man, as your standing in uniform in this ballpark today."

Unless im hearing it wrong, that like isn't in the transcript above.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
        This is the first time in memory,that all of New York's Professional parks are brand new (including the NFL Giants). And the old ones,GONE. All. A new chapter for what ever the reason. The newest Yankee Stadium,if you can have Will Smith from "Men in Black",erase your memory;is actually a nice place. Shea's my mom who recently died-but I actually like my step-mother CitiField. We go on. Thank God,the two teams didn't leave town. One moved north one block and one moved east 410 FT. My uncles' and neighbors who were Dodgers and Giants fans,didn't fare as well. We care,what can you say. In a few days we'll divert our attention to opening day. We have a lot to be thankfull for....and we have a lot of great photographers here.......play ball.
        This is possibly the most insightful post I have seen in awhile. Yes, it makes me a little sick to my stomach to see the Stadium come down so unceremoniously, especially after all the MLB propaganda/fanfare about it being a "cathedral" two years ago. Part of this feeling comes from being a die-hard Yankee and baseball fan and having great memories there. Part of it comes from the fact that, like seemingly many others on this board, I have a somewhat irrational love and respect for old buildings, and hate to see anything built before the "prefab" era come down. The renovation did kill a lot of the style Yankee Stadium had, but it was still a great design. I wish they could've renovated it again, but inside we all knew these days would come. We can be thankful, though, that the Yankees are STILL the Bronx Bombers. They still play at 161st and River Ave. They are not the New Jersey Yankees or the Wall Street Yankees... because ten years ago that's where we all thought they were going. The new building looks like Yankee Stadium. As long as the team plays in New York, and wins, they're still the Yankees. Personally though, I don't think I'll be able to make it down to any games until after the old Stadium is gone. It would just be too sad.

Comment

• Any photos from today?
          "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• I'm glad so many have finally woken up to the travesty that has been occurring the past 5 years. Too bad none of these sentiments were expressed several years ago. George Steinbrenner will go down as one of most famous participants in the history of the sport and he eminently deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, but his biggest legacy will be his demoltion of Yankee Stadium.

I don't know why they even call the new place Yankee Stadium? It has a lot more in common with Target Field and Petco Park than the real Yankee Stadium....I've been to the new place once and I don't plan on going back. I'm an honest person. I was prepared to hate the new stadium no matter what they built. But, if the Yankees had built a true replica of the original I would have reluctantly embraced it, but they did anything but and totally lost my business. They don't miss me one bit however, and I don't miss them....but I truly miss Yankee Stadium and the thrill I always got this time of year in preparation for my first trip back there every spring which was usually a sunny April Saturday afternoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
              I'm glad so many have finally woken up to the travesty that has been occurring the past 5 years. Too bad none of these sentiments were expressed several years ago. George Steinbrenner will go down as one of most famous participants in the history of the sport and he eminently deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, but his biggest legacy will be his demoltion of Yankee Stadium.

I don't know why they even call the new place Yankee Stadium? It has a lot more in common with Target Field and Petco Park than the real Yankee Stadium....I've been to the new place once and I don't plan on going back. I'm an honest person. I was prepared to hate the new stadium no matter what they built. But, if the Yankees had built a true replica of the original I would have reluctantly embraced it, but they did anything but and totally lost my business. They don't miss me one bit however, and I don't miss them....but I truly miss Yankee Stadium and the thrill I always got this time of year in preparation for my first trip back there every spring which was usually a sunny April Saturday afternoon.
              Good riddance than, you are as far from a true fan as you can possibly get.
              sigpic

Comment

• I love the people who call themselves true fans, then go on to say they'd rather got to the rivals ballpark to see the team play then the home stadium just because they dont like the look of the place. I betcha that if this forum existed in 1923 you would've been refusing to visit Yankee Stadium because the Polo Grounds were so great. And it seems like you never even gave the new stadium a chance, you just hated it from the start just because was replacing the old one. It seems you never gave the new stadium a clean slate, a good start. It was always a bad stadium to you, even before they broke ground. If the old stadium never existed and you took the new stadium as replacing nothing, what would you think of it? Is it still a travesty?
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
                  I love the people who call themselves true fans, then go on to say they'd rather got to the rivals ballpark to see the team play then the home stadium just because they dont like the look of the place. I betcha that if this forum existed in 1923 you would've been refusing to visit Yankee Stadium because the Polo Grounds were so great. And it seems like you never even gave the new stadium a chance, you just hated it from the start just because was replacing the old one. It seems you never gave the new stadium a clean slate, a good start. It was always a bad stadium to you, even before they broke ground. If the old stadium never existed and you took the new stadium as replacing nothing, what would you think of it? Is it still a travesty?
                  I would still hate it. There is a difference in going to the ballpark, sit in your seat and watch the game rather than passing martini bars, butcher windows, restaurants. It has absolutely no ballpark feel to it. The one thing I like about Citi is that other than the FanFest area, the park has a classic ballpark feel. That being said, I miss RYS and Shea with all my heart. Those parks served one purpose; baseball.

Comment

• I actually like Citi Field over Fenway.. I guess I've been spoiled by these new, state of the art stadiums..
                    I definitely prefer NYS over RYS, though I wish I saw OYS as a kid...
                    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
                      They called it Yankee Stadium because they didnt want to sell out like every other sports franchise has and put some corporate logo on the front. Could you imagine the outrage if they named it Pepsi Stadium? IF anything, thats the one thing they got right. Keeping the name.
                      You said you were prepared to hate it from the start so you never even gave it a chance. You wanted to hate it and you did. Build a true replica? Were they supposed to just build the exact same thing? Isnt that a little silly? If you wanted a new house that looked just like your old one, wouldnt you want it to be as upgraded as possible? Would you still put the plumbing of the 1950s in it? Baseball is a business and a pretty profitible one when it comes to the Yankees. So why shouldnt the team go and build a place where they can maximize the potential to do that? Sure I think they went a little overboard but if you dont like the Martini bars or steakhouses, dont go to them. If you think the "Mohegan Sun Club" sucks, avoid it. I went to about 25 games last season and not once did I go to any of that stuff. I tailgated in the lots by the train station, walked to the stadium, went inside, bought a few beers, had my peanuts and sausage and peppers and enjoied baseball. The same thing I did when the stadium was a block across the srtreet. The game is still the same thing it was in the other park. Just because all that crap is there doesnt mean you need to take part in it. If you want to sit and cry about how its not the same and be cranky about it, youre the only one losing out.

Its hilarious to read all the whining and bitching that goes on in this thread. So what would have happened if they went through with renovating the place and then reopening it? People would be crying about what they did to it then. Nothing lasts forever. Its coming down and its sad. Another season is about to begin and if you are going to refuse to accept that the RYS isnt going to be there anymore, you will never enjoy baseball again and I feel bad for you for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by FilthySlider View Post
                        They called it Yankee Stadium because they didnt want to sell out like every other sports franchise has and put some corporate logo on the front. Could you imagine the outrage if they named it Pepsi Stadium? IF anything, thats the one thing they got right. Keeping the name.
                        You said you were prepared to hate it from the start so you never even gave it a chance. You wanted to hate it and you did. Build a true replica? Were they supposed to just build the exact same thing? Isnt that a little silly? If you wanted a new house that looked just like your old one, wouldnt you want it to be as upgraded as possible? Would you still put the plumbing of the 1950s in it? Baseball is a business and a pretty profitible one when it comes to the Yankees. So why shouldnt the team go and build a place where they can maximize the potential to do that? Sure I think they went a little overboard but if you dont like the Martini bars or steakhouses, dont go to them. If you think the "Mohegan Sun Club" sucks, avoid it. I went to about 25 games last season and not once did I go to any of that stuff. I tailgated in the lots by the train station, walked to the stadium, went inside, bought a few beers, had my peanuts and sausage and peppers and enjoied baseball. The same thing I did when the stadium was a block across the srtreet. The game is still the same thing it was in the other park. Just because all that crap is there doesnt mean you need to take part in it. If you want to sit and cry about how its not the same and be cranky about it, youre the only one losing out.

Its hilarious to read all the whining and bitching that goes on in this thread. So what would have happened if they went through with renovating the place and then reopening it? People would be crying about what they did to it then. Nothing lasts forever. Its coming down and its sad. Another season is about to begin and if you are going to refuse to accept that the RYS isnt going to be there anymore, you will never enjoy baseball again and I feel bad for you for that.
                        I agree. Overall NYS is a great stadium. While I don't like the seating bowl all that much, wished it took some more elements from OYS, and that it is another me too stadium and didn't set a new precedent like OYS did, design wise NYS is pretty good.

I would have preferred another renovation with basic changes to it( restore Gate 4 and 6 to original designs) and don't like the motivation why Steinbrenner wanted a new stadium, I would not put it against the team and stadium itself.

Comment

• Philosophically speaking, replacing "this earth" with "the earth" takes on a whole new meaning and one that I highly doubt Gehrig or the fans in attendance that day would understand without a lesson in Eastern beliefs and religions about reincarnation, dimensions and meditation.

But that's besides the point.

Papa, I've loved a lot of what you've posted in the past, but I do have to disagree with you (respectfully, of course) on this one. If only for the simple reason that it promotes a telephone effect that can start to blur the fine line between fact and fiction.

In the modern day world, with several people turning to Google for historical reference, we lose quite a bit of logic and intelligent thought. We tend to go with what we've found first and then enforce that as fact.

It's for this very reason that several people assume as fact that the pentagram is related to devil worship--when it was really the symbol for Venus, the Pagan goddess of fertility and was given that symbol because the planet Venus traces a perfect pentagram in the sky every four years.

The same thing applies to Ruth's called shot, the limestone debacle, and so many other things in all walks of life. Interestingly enough, Edison concrete does have limestone in it...that doesn't make it okay though.

So it is somewhat of an academic crime, in my book, to knowingly post something historically wrong, or to state "fact" based on assumptions and nothing more.

I don't want you to think that I'm attacking you, I just wanted to point this out. We are constantly concerned in this country, for the education of our society, and if we want it to improve, we should do our best to solidify the difference between fact and fiction.

Richard

P.S. - Titanic didn't break like that, it was more of a three part break, with the farthest aft section of the keel being in the middle of the reciprocating engine room. And that's a cross section of Olympic, not Titanic...although Titanic was supposed to be identical at first... Couldn't resist.
                          Last edited by RichardLillard1; 03-27-2010, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Mike (YankeeStadium1923),

That picture of yours reminds me of this one....

Richard
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                              Mike (YankeeStadium1923),

That picture of yours reminds me of this one....

Richard

Suddenly, I'm reminded of how I NEVER stepped into OYS...
                              DAMN MAYOR LINDSAY & MICHAEL BURKE FOR DESTROYING OYS!!!

Comment

• The text of the speech on lougehrig.com is riddled with errors. They give the end of the opening line as ""for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got". He did not end the sentence with "I got". They give the final line as " I've been given a tough break, but I have an awful lot to live for". He said " a bad break". The same page that has the text links you to the film of the speech (as much film as exists). I have a feeling that a stenographer/newspaperman was taking down his words for the papers and got it wrong. Take a look at how the Gettysberg Address was first reported, how Lincoln wrote it down on his train as he rode to Gettysberg and how Lincoln reproduced it for friends after the fact. In the age before electronic recording was the standard there was a lot of that kind of reworking of precise wording.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X