No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took these pictures today (4/11/10). WARNING! These images may cause shock and disbelief.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coop_20...n/photostream/

Comment

• Great job getting photos and videos of Yankee Stadium everyone. It's sad to see it go. It's a moot point now, but could Gate 2 have stood on its own, or would they have had to build some kind of support system?

Comment

• Very, very sad to see. I had some great memories of Yankee Stadium, and baseball lost a legend.

Comment

• Any shots or videos of the entire "Gate 4" pod going down?

Comment

• They're clearly rushing at this point to wipe this place off the face of the earth by home opening day.

I mean, maybe I'm naive, but I assumed that the signage on the Stadium's exterior (the Joe quote, the championships sign) would be removed prior to demo. Would/should they not have some intrinsic value as collector pieces or museum artifacts?? Are they just going to scoop up the remnants and sell them off?

I really think the demo of this building is being handled disgracefully, considering what it is/was. Months from now, it will come out in the press that the demo lagged behind schedule and that they were rushing toward the end. I'll bet that a lot of planned important salvage work was cancelled due to poor schedules. Wouldn't be surprised if they are pulling down sections in twos tomorrow instead of one at a time.

Have to say, thought I'd be numb to all of it by this time, but as I look at the newest videos and pics, I still can't help but shake my head at how supremely screwed up all this is on principle. What kind of culture does this to one of its top-10 historic/beloved landmarks? OK, so now we'll save some Gate 2 planters that accidentally survived--are you kidding me?? And don't tell me to be grateful for some crumbs; show me people of integrity to would have done the right thing, and the dignified thing, and saved historic features of Yankee Stadium with some actual forethought and planning put into it.

In a mere matter of days, "The House That Ruth Built" is gone forever. And in extremely unfortunate fashion. Really, when you look back on the span of history and the supposed progress of civilization, sometimes you can only conclude that, with some exceptions, human beings just never freaking learn.
            Last edited by CharlesM; 04-11-2010, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
              Great job getting photos and videos of Yankee Stadium everyone. It's sad to see it go. It's a moot point now, but could Gate 2 have stood on its own, or would they have had to build some kind of support system?

Well, a little bit of both, actually.

Gate 2 could definitely have stood, but not in the way the Parks Department depicted it (pictured below).

In reality, Gate 2 would have probably needed some structuring behind the original outer wall to ensure a long lasting monument. However--and this is based upon meetings with a structural engineer, as well as discussions after the upper deck had been removed--it would have been minimal if done correctly, and would not have taken away from the Gate's presence.

As for how to make something like that aesthetically pleasing, several options were proposed. These included placing the screen from the outfield wall at the rear for summer movie screenings and social events (similar to what they do in Van Cortlandt, but more permanent), a small Bronx/Yankee museum, or putting a rear wall up, with a mural, similar to the one done on the side of the Ball Park Lanes on 157th.

Photo by Gary.

These are just a few of the options that could have been played out. In fact, with several of these, especially the screen idea, Gate 2 could have provided a magnificent back drop to fair-weather performances of the New York Philharmonic, which (to my knowledge) has never played in the south BX, but only up in Van Cortlandt.

Another option would have been to eliminate the "comfort station" along Ruppert/Doughty and place small restrooms within the lowest levels of the Gate's structure. Park visitors could have still passed through the original entryways, but with rest rooms on either side of them.

These are some of many. The limits of something like this would have been practically endless if someone would have put the time and effort into thinking about it. It was never a primary focus of ours because we had to deal with so much else aside from that. But the options were always there.

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by CharlesM View Post
                They're clearly rushing at this point to wipe this place off the face of the earth by home opening day.

I mean, maybe I'm naive, but I assumed that the signage on the Stadium's exterior (the Joe quote, the championships sign) would be removed prior to demo. Would/should they not have some intrinsic value as collector pieces or museum artifacts?? Are they just going to scoop up the remnants and sell them off?

I really think the demo of this building is being handled disgracefully, considering what it is/was. Months from now, it will come out in the press that the demo lagged behind schedule and that they were rushing toward the end. I'll bet that a lot of planned important salvage work was cancelled due to poor schedules. Wouldn't be surprised if they are pulling down sections in twos tomorrow instead of one at a time.

Have to say, thought I'd be numb to all of it by this time, but as I look at the newest videos and pics, I still can't help but shake my head at how supremely screwed up all this is on principle. What kind of culture does this to one of its top-10 historic/beloved landmarks? OK, so now we'll save some Gate 2 planters that accidentally survived--are you kidding me?? And don't tell me to be grateful for some crumbs; show me people of integrity to would have done the right thing, and the dignified thing, and saved historic features of Yankee Stadium with some actual forethought and planning put into it.

In a mere matter of days, "The House That Ruth Built" is gone forever. And in extremely unfortunate fashion. Really, when you look back on the span of history and the supposed progress of civilization, sometimes you can only conclude that, with some exceptions, human beings just never freaking learn.
                I don't think we are qualified to say the "planning was poor". Turner is not going to risk injury to their workers by "rushing" the job. As much as it pains me to see this beautiful institution get reduced to pebbles and dirt, much time was spent to remove "artifacts" by whomever was responsible to deem them as such. I also don't think that much more demolition will be taking place today. If you look at my previous post, the pictures designate that there is a lot of debris on what was the "field" and taking down the RF side of the wall may not be possible now.

Also, with the Yankees coming "home", demolition may take a back seat for a couple of days as the gate 4 pod and the right side wall are near areas where people will need to transverse (Metro North train exit and the parking garage. I am "assuming" that internal removal of steel and concrete will be the order of the week.

Comment

• I'm a Mets fan but as someone born and raised in NY this saddens me. It's a disgrace how the Yankees and New York City handled this. Thanks to all of you who tried.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
                    I don't think we are qualified to say the "planning was poor". Turner is not going to risk injury to their workers by "rushing" the job. As much as it pains me to see this beautiful institution get reduced to pebbles and dirt, much time was spent to remove "artifacts" by whomever was responsible to deem them as such. I also don't think that much more demolition will be taking place today. If you look at my previous post, the pictures designate that there is a lot of debris on what was the "field" and taking down the RF side of the wall may not be possible now.

Also, with the Yankees coming "home", demolition may take a back seat for a couple of days as the gate 4 pod and the right side wall are near areas where people will need to transverse (Metro North train exit and the parking garage. I am "assuming" that internal removal of steel and concrete will be the order of the week.
                    Only Tuesday and Wednesday since they are 1:00 games. For the 7:00 games they can work 7-2 or so and be done well before people start to show up for the game.

Comment

• Well, the time has come. Im officially not interested in this demolition anymore....probably more so because i recently stumbled into a massive 19th century stamp collection for basically nothing. I have months of identifying and what not ahead of me and that leaves me little time and/or motivation for these demolition images. I may in fact be putting the domain up for sale in the coming weeks....if anyone here is interested in it please send over a PM. Its probably not going to come cheap so dont send me any 10 dollar offers. lol.

It was a good run and i commend everyone involved.
                      www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Mary Ellen
                        Shocking and brutally sad poignant photos.
                        Concur. I curse both the Yankee and Red Sox regimes with the fury of a thousand suns, but that's still painful and heartbreaking to look at.

Comment

• Here's 23 new shots that I posted this morning: http://slidingintohome.blogspot.com/...on-update.html
                          Sliding Into Home: A Yankees Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
                            I don't think we are qualified to say the "planning was poor".
                            Can we not come to that conclusion just by looking at what is going on and what has happened? Saving those Gate 2 planters just because they (mostly) survived the demo = poor planning. Afterthought, not forethought.

I know it would have taken time and work (anything that is worthwhile usually does), but the Joe quote could have been removed intact and placed in a museum or used in some sort of public space (maybe donated to a local university or something). At least it would have survived intact. Instead it has to lie in rubble in a pile of debris? Come on.

See, many people in the future (1st timers, kids, etc.) are going to walk past the site of OYS and are going to feel nothing--because they don't know. All they ultimately see is an urban park. That is wrong. That is loss of history. One should walk past there and feel something--good memories, sadness, etc.--but feel something. That's human. And something prominent should remain there as a memorial to inspire those feelings, so we don't forget that something of gigantic importance and greatness in our cultural history was once here. This should be done as well to be a gift to all the loyal fans who went in and out of those gates for 85 years.

They've had years and years and YEARS to plan this project. Ultimately we are not winding up with a significant, proud memorial to mark that Yankee Stadium stood on that site.

"Isn't that where Lou Gehrig made some speech a hundred years ago or something?" "Yeah...I think. Over there, where that softball dude just hocked a big loogie."

The Macombs parkland should have been reclaimed elsewhere. How about demo-ing some unused, burnt-out apartment buildings to get the land back? The OYS site should have been made into an open plaza, hopefully with Gate 2 remaining, and with historical markers showing the places on that site where hundreds of great moments and events happened. Trees, walkways, benches... How beautiful would that have been? That's forethought and proper planning and respect for history.

Instead, we are losing history. Very, very wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                              Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but it's an interesting shot, nonetheless.

yeah it is, really neat shot, thanks!

Comment

• I will probably have a chance to very briefly speak with Mayor Bloomberg tomorrow. What can I ask him to do that is doable and worthwhile - no jokes please, I really would like some guidance. I forgot the names of the people involved in the Gate 2 efforts. It looks like all that was worth preserving was on the left field side.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X