Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YankeeDean View Post
    I think someone else said the same earlier, but the photo is so disturbing that I thought for a second what a cruel joke it would be if the city decided to preserve only "The Pod". Would we mount a collection to pay for the city to finally tear it down?
    BTW. I got to the event on Thursday to late to speak with Bloomberg.
    I had a feeling this would happen - I mentioned it about a week before Gate 2 came down. :dismay: :dismay:
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by Power Wally View Post
      The 100's of photos posted by you guys documenting the demolition of Yankee Stadium are fabulous. That thing is the most interesting stadium ever built and then renovated by man. I see many of the questions about the renovation are being answered in spades with the demolition (but not worth it).

It appears that the escalator pods only reach as high as the second level. If I were to have a ticket to a seat on the top level, could I have reached the second level by escalator, and then switch over to the ramps to get to the third level, or would I have to take the ramps all the way up?

Some of the recent photos show the ramps nearest to the right field foul pole also stopping at the second level. Where are the ramps to the top level?

When Dodger stadium is through, it looks like it would be easier to bury it than to demolish it.
      The pods did not go all the way to the top {Tier} level. An escalator ran up thru the top of the pod to the Tier level. This can be seen in photos of Gate 4 and Gate 6. The escalator tower near Gate 2 was built differently and did go all the way to the Tier level.
      Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• locke40, the el, the Courthouse and the apartment bldgs are not enough reference points? Anyway, the water tower was renovated and only 2/3 of it is original.
        Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
          locke40, the el, the Courthouse and the apartment bldgs are not enough reference points? Anyway, the water tower was renovated and only 2/3 of it is original.
          So that means that the brainiacs at the Parks Department would not give historic status to the water tower because it's not 100% original. Also, they would erect poles to hold water balloons where the water tower actually stood above the water tower stand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Power Wally View Post
            It appears that the escalator pods only reach as high as the second level. If I were to have a ticket to a seat on the top level, could I have reached the second level by escalator, and then switch over to the ramps to get to the third level, or would I have to take the ramps all the way up?
            Originally posted by The Monument View Post
            The pods did not go all the way to the top {Tier} level. An escalator ran up thru the top of the pod to the Tier level. This can be seen in photos of Gate 4 and Gate 6. The escalator tower near Gate 2 was built differently and did go all the way to the Tier level.
            This is the escalator to the Tier level at Gate 4. In the foreground are the escalators from the lower levels; in the lower left corner of the image you can see shadows of people on the escalator.

(Photo taken June 6, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
              I wish the Steinbrenners and Mayor Bloomberg would correct their mistake and save part of the exterior wall of old Yankee Stadium before it's too late.
              it ain't gonna happen.

btw - everything these days is always somebody else's fault. the nyy and king bloomie don't care and blaming them for something that's out of your control is wasted effort. they just don't care and if you don't hurt them financially, they will continue not caring...
              the turd in the punchbowl
              reality really sucks.
              enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                This is the escalator to the Tier level at Gate 4. In the foreground are the escalators from the lower levels; in the lower left corner of the image you can see shadows of people on the escalator.

(Photo taken June 6, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

Brings back memories in going up to my seats, in Tier Reserved section 2...
                "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Tier reserved, section 2: My first world series game. Game 2, 1977. Catfish got ripped. I recall 4 homers including one by dave lopes. Ladies and gentlemen, cost of that series ticket behind home plate: $15.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeDean View Post
                    Tier reserved, section 2: My first world series game. Game 2, 1977. Catfish got ripped. I recall 4 homers including one by dave lopes. Ladies and gentlemen, cost of that series ticket behind home plate: $15.
                    Nothing beat Tier Reserved seats. The loge was for suckas.

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsean View Post
                      Nothing beat Tier Reserved seats. The loge was for suckas.
                      I had front row loge third base side right at the alternate score board for years and loved them. Great seats. He a piece of the original OYS beam that we'd hit our knees on too.
                      Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                        I had front row loge third base side right at the alternate score board for years and loved them. Great seats. He a piece of the original OYS beam that we'd hit our knees on too.
                        What original beam are you referring to? Remember, beams are horizontal structural members. I think you may be referring to the original columns; I do remember seeing these little stubs that had been cut during the renovation.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                          What original beam are you referring to? Remember, beams are horizontal structural members. I think you may be referring to the original columns; I do remember seeing these little stubs that had been cut during the renovation.
                          Yup, a nub of a column was there. Not a beam. Had sharp edges too that were capped rather badly.
                          Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                            I'll make an exception for front row loge. Any farther back and you spent the whole game with your head tilted parallel to the ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsean View Post
                              I'll make an exception for front row loge. Any farther back and you spent the whole game with your head tilted parallel to the ground.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
                                I can't even imagine how hard it must have been to see out when the mezzanine went all the way back, AND the columns were there too. Bonus I guess was that fly balls are always a surprise :P

Rob's pic nicely illustrates Max's "column caps" as well... I see two in frame here.

While I'll never forgive the Yankees for taking away my upper deck (that's right... it's MINE), the nearly saving grace may be that NYS actually has a usable middle tier. The new upper deck must be like sitting in Shea... I'm sure there's a ball down there somewhere... right?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X