Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
    Since Garys pictures are from Saturday, can anyone confirm if the last section is still up?

My next question is, if so do any Yankees fans plan on having sort of a sending off gathering or get together like the Mets fans did last March?
    As of yesterday afternoon, there was a section still standing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
      As of yesterday afternoon, there was a section still standing.
      Okay thanks.

I'm wondering if the fans on Friday night will see it up or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
        (I did mention ADA seating earlier, or lack of. My father in law claims that for football games, people in w/c's were actually allowed on the sidelines for Giants games. I will have to verify that one.)
        I don't know about Yankee Stadium, but that was the case at Lambeau Field from the time it opened in 1957 until the club seats were built in the late 1980s. There was an area roughly from the goal line to the 20 on one sideline. And there isn't much room on the sidelines at Lambeau (although in those days, you didn't have TV trucks on both sides or promotional stuff clogging up the area.)
        "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
          (I did mention ADA seating earlier, or lack of. My father in law claims that for football games, people in w/c's were actually allowed on the sidelines for Giants games. I will have to verify that one.)
          in the pre-ada era, the only people in wheel chairs allowed on the field for giants games were the veteran servicemen who were in the bronx veteran's hospital at segwick ave., the marra family was responsible for that.
          a young enterprising/emerging photographer neil lifer realized this and volunteered to help as a chaperone to gain close-up access to the field to photograph the '58 chamiponship game. here's one of the photos he took...
          Attached Files
          the turd in the punchbowl
          reality really sucks.
          enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
            Hey, there are a couple of us here at least. Actually, at the biggest Yankee fan forums (i.e. NYYFans), an overwhelming majority of Yankee fans prefer NYS to RYS aesthetically and for its creature comforts. And these are fans (many old timers too) that very-well understand Yankee history and the significance of Yankee Stadium. Are you originally from NC and have you visited the stadium yet?
            No, I grew up in Fairfield County, CT. I used to go to 10-20 games plus a 1-2 playoff games a year until I moved to NC in 2003. I plan on going to NYS this year for weekend series. I think the stadium looks great on TV, I order MLB extra inning every year on my dish...I still watch most games.

Comment

• Originally posted by ncyankeefan View Post
              No, I grew up in Fairfield County, CT. I used to go to 10-20 games plus a 1-2 playoff games a year until I moved to NC in 2003. I plan on going to NYS this year for weekend series. I think the stadium looks great on TV, I order MLB extra inning every year on my dish...I still watch most games.
              Whereabout in Fairfield County? I grew up in Brookfield myself.

Comment

• OK, new images. Just did a drive by about 2pm. Pod by the bat is completely gone. I have to say, the new stadium looks SPECTACULAR with the open view.

Comment

• Originally posted by phishstics View Post
                  Whereabout in Fairfield County? I grew up in Brookfield myself.
                  Stratford.

Comment

• Originally posted by baseballman1243 View Post
                    Not demo but I was looking through my computer and found some of my pics from the final game:

This shot represents everything that was great about RYS. It was a beautiful place, it was colorful, intimidating, and it had a cavernous sound like no other ballpark. Oh, and it was still Yankee Stadium. It did not die post-'73; in fact, it had an extremely vibrant and exciting history afterwards. In many people's opinions, it emerged just fine after the renovation.

Having been to a game at the new stadium last year, while it is an impressive place, I can honestly say that, IMO, it does not feel like a big, imposing place in the same way the old stadium did. It's too focused on comfort, luxury and convenience to be a rowdy, intimidating place the way the old stadium was. I don't fault it for that; in the 21st century, for better or worse, a new stadium must be all those things. Another thing: NYS does not sound at all like the old stadium. That deep, ominous crowd noise is gone.

The bottom line is that the Yankee Stadium that many of us cherished for all these reasons (to say nothing of the irreplaceable history of the building) is gone. Not only is it gone, but nothing of substance will remain as a memorial and marker. It's now softball fields (well, soon to be). This is awful for the Yankees, for MLB, and for America.

What I wouldn't give to be able to go back into the old stadium with my dad, just get my hot dog and my drink, sit down, look onto that magical field, hear Eddie Layton playing that organ, hear Bob Sheppard's voice, and watch the Yankees in The House That Ruth Built.

All gone.

"Nothing Gold Can Stay."
                    CharlesM
                    Last edited by CharlesM; 04-29-2010, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CharlesM View Post
                      This shot represents everything that was great about RYS. It was a beautiful place, it was colorful, intimidating, and it had a cavernous sound like no other ballpark. Oh, and it was still Yankee Stadium. It did not die post-'73; in fact, it had an extremely vibrant and exciting history afterwards. In many people's opinions, it emerged just fine after the renovation.

Having been to a game at the new stadium last year, while it is an impressive place, I can honestly say that, IMO, it does not feel like a big, imposing place in the same way the old stadium did. It's too focused on comfort, luxury and convenience to be a rowdy, intimidating place the way the old stadium was. I don't fault it for that; in the 21st century, for better or worse, a new stadium must be all those things. Another thing: NYS does not sound at all like the old stadium. That deep, ominous crowd noise is gone.

The bottom line is that the Yankee Stadium that many of us cherished for all these reasons (to say nothing of the irreplaceable history of the building) is gone. Not only is it gone, but nothing of substance will remain as a memorial and marker. It's now softball fields (well, soon to be). This is awful for the Yankees, for MLB, and for America.

What I wouldn't give to be able to go back into the old stadium with my dad, just get my hot dog and my drink, sit down, look onto that magical field, hear Eddie Layton playing that organ, hear Bob Sheppard's voice, and watch the Yankees in The House That Ruth Built.

All gone.

"Nothing Gold Can Stay."
                      What game did you go to. I went to ALDS Game 2 and ALCS Game 2, the stadium was just as loud and rocking as the old one.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Man that just doesn't look right

Comment

All gone.

"Nothing Gold Can Stay."

Yeah...the new ballpark just doesn't have the same deafening roar like the old house did. It does sound somewhat hollow by comparison. It's all those open concourses that allows the sound to bleed out of the building. Plus it doesn't have that same intimidating canyon like feel to it like the original. the decks fan out on a more shallow angle, making the place more open. Which I guess is good from a line of sight POV. And with the new joint, you don't get the same feeling that you are hanging right on the field. It's like we're pushed back and detached from the playing field. The one plus for the new joint is that you can hang out on the concourse and still see the action. Can't complain about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankee1965 View Post
                            Yeah...the new ballpark just doesn't have the same deafening roar like the old house did. It does sound somewhat hollow by comparison. It's all those open concourses that allows the sound to bleed out of the building. Plus it doesn't have that same intimidating canyon like feel to it like the original. the decks fan out on a more shallow angle, making the place more open. Which I guess is good from a line of sight POV. And with the new joint, you don't get the same feeling that you are hanging right on the field. It's like we're pushed back and detached from the playing field. The one plus for the new joint is that you can hang out on the concourse and still see the action. Can't complain about that.

I used to sit in Tier Reserved 2 in RYS, and I now sit in section 420B in NYS, and I can tell everybody here, that there is "no difference" whatsoever in the energy, noise, and passion from the fans, "up there"..
                            The "main problem" in NYS is the EMPTY seats in the moat... You fill those muckity muck seats up, and there will be no difference in atmosphere between NYS & RYS....
                            NONE!!!
                            "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by DN4L View Post
                              I used to sit in Tier Reserved 2 in RYS, and I now sit in section 420B in NYS, and I can tell everybody here, that there is "no difference" whatsoever in the energy, noise, and passion from the fans, "up there"..
                              The "main problem" in NYS is the EMPTY seats in the moat... You fill those muckity muck seats up, and there will be no difference in atmosphere between NYS & RYS....
                              NONE!!!
                              Not talking about the level of enthusiasm, noise, etc. We're saying that the new place doesn't SOUND the same. The old stadium had a very distinct crowd sound...very big. When I used to watch RYS games on TV I would sometimes just take a few moments and listen to the sound of the crowd. It was a unique sound. Huge, deep. Many players that played on that field reported this phenomenon and said it was part of the intimidation factor.

That place resonated, and I mean that literally--from an acoustic standpoint, like a giant musical instrument. The RYS upper deck was floating in the sense of the cantilevering. If you ever sat up there, believe me, that thing MOVED at times when the crowd noise reached a certain level. Sympathetic resonance: All objects vibrate when exposed to certain sound frequencies. It was all part of the magic and singularity of that place. One of the reasons RYS had a beauty of its own.

Comment

Not talking about the level of enthusiasm, noise, etc. We're saying that the new place doesn't SOUND the same. The old stadium had a very distinct crowd sound...very big. When I used to watch RYS games on TV I would sometimes just take a few moments and listen to the sound of the crowd. It was a unique sound. Huge, deep. Many players that played on that field reported this phenomenon and said it was part of the intimidation factor.

That place resonated, and I mean that literally--from an acoustic standpoint, like a giant musical instrument. The RYS upper deck was floating in the sense of the cantilevering. If you ever sat up there, believe me, that thing MOVED at times when the crowd noise reached a certain level. Sympathetic resonance: All objects vibrate when exposed to certain sound frequencies. It was all part of the magic and singularity of that place. One of the reasons RYS had a beauty of its own.

As I said in my earlier post...
                                I hear no difference in SOUND between RYS and NYS...
                                "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X