Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CharlesM View Post
    .....and not the awful, defaced, "Joan Rivers Stadium" as some of you pathologically characterize it.
    I'm assuming that you're referring to me. That's OK, you can say it to me directly, I can take it and certainly don't have a thin skin, especially over the internet.

Let me ask you a question. Are my beliefs any more "pathological" than the obsession some people have over RYS and/or the plight of Gate 2, as if it were more important than their first born? Any more pathological than some of you who haven't strayed from this thread, often spewing hate, some acting like babies who didn't get there way, often spreading mistruths and blatant exaggerations? Any more pathological than some of you who take your angst and anger out on a building (NYS) and those fans who just happen to like it?

How can we take some poster's comments and experiences seriously when some of you are inflexible, only see things in black or white in their worship of RYS, with no in between, and who then turn around and have the gall to tell some of us that our own opinions and experiences aren't valid? How can we take your (some of you) impressions of RYS or NYS seriously, and think that you're being objective, even when it's over a simple discussion about crowd noise?
    Last edited by Rob R; 04-30-2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
      I cant believe all the nonesense about all this petty stuff- you make it sound like after a steal or midweek home run the stadium was rocking and swaying
      I was at hundreds of games and every playoff game since 1976 at RYS it swayed on rare occassions- Many big playoff home runs CHamblis, Reggie, Mattingly, Bernie game 1 baltimore 1996, Tino in "98" The 4 homeruns in game 3 WS in "99" Tino and Scotty in 2001 and Boone thats the truely rocking moments of the deck rumbling I can remember off hand
      as for regular season I remember 1 time the crowd was even big enough in the 80's and that was Ron HAsseys upper Deck blast against Toronto. after that there might have been a few I dont recall that really had the place swaying

Last year after Arods 2 run homer vs Minny and Teixeiras winner it swayed a bit- so NYS is off to a good start in the swayong department
      Why do we bother comparing RYS to NYS thats like comparing OYS to RYS
      A no win situation
      Please refer to post #7690. I put this whole "swaying" issue into perspective.
      RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• I will try to give you all my own perspective on this debate(OYS vs RYS) as a person who spent alot of time in both.
        When I was a kid, there were very few, even decent Yankee teams to cheer for, and the Yankees knew this. But, the one thing the Yankees had to sell ( maybe their only thing) was their tradition, and the Yankees made SURE you knew that Yankee Stadium was THE major part of the tradition that they were selling.
        Now, were we sad and upset that the City was going to renovate Yankee Stadium? Yes we were, very upset. But before the City reached the agreement with the Yankees, it was almost a forgone conclusion that the Yankees would be heading to New Jersey, so we accepted the soon to be renovation.
        It was better to have a reno and keep the Yankees then to lose them totaly.
        I was at the last night game at the Old Place in 1973 with my dad and brother( both are gone now) and so there we said our goodbye, even though we knew that the major part of the Stadium would be there in 1976. So it was really a bittersweet moment.
        Now, flash forward to 1976. My friends and I went to the RYS, and to me, I knew exactly where I was.I knew it was Yankee Stadium as I walked up to it. Same arched windows, same exteriour. Of course I didnt like the Pod. When we walked inside, I noticed it was a lot cleaner. The seats were wider, and more comfortable. Did I miss the frieze? Of course. But I knew as I walked up the uper deck where I was. I was in Yankee Stadium. I could see the old outline of the 'OYS'. I could point to where the Mick had almost hit one out, It was all still there. Several years later, I took MY son there, around 1996. I pointed out to him where the monuments used to be, I showed him where Mick had hit the homer off of Bill Fischer that almost went over the roof, I showed him the spot where Lou had stood on Lou Gerieg day, it was all still there. When Reggie hit one 'into the black', he hit the ball in the same area that Mantle did when he hit one over the screen, You see, it was all still there.
        This is what will never be again. This is what has been destroyed, and as nice as New Yankee Stadium is, those memories of what was, contrasted with what 'is' (the events that took place after the renovation) are gone forever, never to be seen again.
        I miss the Old Girl

Comment

• Dear shaneslatts,

I feel exactly as you did. I also went to the last game in 1973. When the Yankees played at Shea, I never felt at home. But when we came back to the Stadium in 1976, I felt at home again. I haven't been to the new Yankee Stadium, so I cannot comment on it, although it looks beautiful from the photos I've seen. All I can do is read what everyone else says on Baseball Fever. I LOVE the pre-renovated Stadium and always will, along with its unrivaled history.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• Originally posted by shaneslatts View Post
            I will try to give you all my own perspective on this debate(OYS vs RYS) as a person who spent alot of time in both.
            When I was a kid, there were very few, even decent Yankee teams to cheer for, and the Yankees knew this. But, the one thing the Yankees had to sell ( maybe their only thing) was their tradition, and the Yankees made SURE you knew that Yankee Stadium was THE major part of the tradition that they were selling.
            Now, were we sad and upset that the City was going to renovate Yankee Stadium? Yes we were, very upset. But before the City reached the agreement with the Yankees, it was almost a forgone conclusion that the Yankees would be heading to New Jersey, so we accepted the soon to be renovation.
            It was better to have a reno and keep the Yankees then to lose them totaly.
            I was at the last night game at the Old Place in 1973 with my dad and brother( both are gone now) and so there we said our goodbye, even though we knew that the major part of the Stadium would be there in 1976. So it was really a bittersweet moment.
            Now, flash forward to 1976. My friends and I went to the RYS, and to me, I knew exactly where I was.I knew it was Yankee Stadium as I walked up to it. Same arched windows, same exteriour. Of course I didnt like the Pod. When we walked inside, I noticed it was a lot cleaner. The seats were wider, and more comfortable. Did I miss the frieze? Of course. But I knew as I walked up the uper deck where I was. I was in Yankee Stadium. I could see the old outline of the 'OYS'. I could point to where the Mick had almost hit one out, It was all still there. Several years later, I took MY son there, around 1996. I pointed out to him where the monuments used to be, I showed him where Mick had hit the homer off of Bill Fischer that almost went over the roof, I showed him the spot where Lou had stood on Lou Gerieg day, it was all still there. When Reggie hit one 'into the black', he hit the ball in the same area that Mantle did when he hit one over the screen, You see, it was all still there.
            This is what will never be again. This is what has been destroyed, and as nice as New Yankee Stadium is, those memories of what was, contrasted with what 'is' (the events that took place after the renovation) are gone forever, never to be seen again.
            I miss the Old Girl
            Amazingly having lived through the same era I have different sentiments- to me as a youngster and up to age 14 when I went to the stadium it was never about yankee stadium as bad as the teams were for me it was about the Yankees nothing more -my favorite team- I never got the feeling the yankees were selling tradition or the stadium. it just happened to be a bad team I loved - dont get me wrong I loved oys much more so than remodeled
            when I walked into rys I again share non of your sentiments so many of the things I loved were gone- to me it looked and felt NOTHING like the old stadium inside or out (because in reality it didnt). however over the years rys evolved into a home with all its warts and won me over. But again it wasnt the stadium that won me over- cause I could never imagine Ruth or gehrig on that field nor Mantle who I saw on a few occassions at OYS- It was a team the yankees the team I went to sleep with as a youth- with a transistor radio listening to frank messer. when I sat there during the last game ever played and went on a tour the 2nd to last day- I looked out and remembered were I was when Chamblis hit his home run and Boone and tino and Rags no hitter those were the memories of that stadium not the old place- those memories I have -but are a much much different place a place that looked and felt much different

Comment

• Went up there last night (4/30) after work. As previously reported, the Gate 4 pod is down. It's really something to "see" in person.

This was my first visit to the demo site on a game day, and it was interesting observing the reactions of fans seeing it for the first time as they approached it from the Metro-North stairway. When you're as involved with the ballparks as we are it's hard to "come out of our ivory tower," as it were, and realize that since this doesn't get coverage on the nightly news, the current state of the ballpark is quite a shock to those who aren't prepared for it.

Surprised that the right field wall and ramps are still up, but there has been some work done. The "bridges" connecting the Gate 6 pod with the stands have been taken down - you can see the "holes" where the escalator from Loge to Tier, and from the pod to the Main and Tier levels, are. The remnants of the "building" where the right field team store was, are gone. Can't really describe it in words, but a little bit of the right side of the structure ("right" when looking at the site from the new Macombs Dam Park) has been taken down - I haven't made a comparison with earlier photos, but it appears that the right edge (again, "right" when looking from within the new Macombs Dam Park) is "neater" and "straighter" than it was in the past. Maybe they're being careful because it's the closest to residential buildings, and they can't afford to risk dust floating over to Gerard Avenue?

Finally, it looks as though there's a kind of "excavation" in the area between Gate 2 and the bend on Ruppert Place. The steps at Gate 2 are still there, but unlike before - where you could presumably walk from the steps onto a pile of rubble (if you were very, very careful) - now, once you're at the top of those Gate 2 steps, there's a drop. Last Saturday, while I was on the platform, someone was telling me there are four stories of sub-basements underneath the level where the clubhouses were, that still need to be excavated. Don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, it might make for some interesting photographs in the weeks to come.
              X
              What's THAT guy doing?
              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

BTW, a bunch of you guys have taken what the original premise was here--that RYS had a character of sound different from that of NYS--and turned it into "Don't be stupid. There's no difference in the level of fan enthusiasm between the two parks."

Why do some of you feel the need to pull this straw-man BS all the time? Do you understand that we're talking about two different concepts here?

I reiterate and stand by my earlier observation that RYS had a special sound, different from other places. Players' own observations (Yanks and visiting) of this support that notion. It's not simply hyperbole. And I'm just saying this was one of the qualities about RYS that made it a great place and not the awful, defaced, "Joan Rivers Stadium" as some of you pathologically characterize it.

The new stadium does not sound the same IMO. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing. I'm saying it's a sad thing. It was one of those special, uncalculated, unpretensions qualities about the old place that is now gone. When I go into the new stadium, I see calculated "vibe" and pretension everywhere--like someone is trying to hammer into my head that THIS is Yankee Stadium.

Some of you walk into the new stadium and you tell yourselves (and all the old stadium supporters here) that everything is still the same. It is not, nor should it be. But you have a psychological need to think that it does, just like I have a psychological need for the Yankees to always be in the old place. Yes, I admit that. And I'm certainly not the only one. The new stadium is beautiful in many ways and over-the-top Playskool Yankee Stadium (as someone else said) in too many other ways. Overall I don't like what it represents--priceless history sacrificed for money and luxury.

Ultimately my own opinions here, of course.

However, when there's a specific premise proposed about something, like the sound quality factor, please stick to the premise; don't turn it into a different argument within which ridicule is easy to spew. I.e. We all know the enthusiasm of Yankee fans in general is OF COURSE always high when good things are happening, no matter what stadium they're playing in. But this is not what the original premise was.

Oh, so your opinion is actual fact, but ours is a "psychological need"??? Please!

"Why do some of you feel the need to pull this straw-man BS all the time? Do you understand that we're talking about two different concepts here?"
                "It was one of those special, uncalculated, unpretentensions qualities about the old place that is now gone."
                "When I go into the new stadium, I see calculated "vibe" and pretension everywhere--like someone is trying to hammer into my head that THIS is Yankee Stadium."
                Wha, wha, wha, wha, wha, wwwwwwwwhat??????????

Let me tell you something, Charlie...
                I was there last night, and when Jeter hit his 2 run home run, and his 2 run triple, it was "DEAFENING"!!!!
                You can talk about this "sound quality factor" thing all you want, and bash this beautiful place, and accuse proponents of NYS of not staying on the topic here...
                But NYS is here to stay, and is much better than RYS!

OYS 1923-1973 was a true historic landmark.
                RYS 1976-2008 was a 1970's renovation DEBACLE!!!!!!!!!!
                "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
                  I'm assuming that you're referring to me. That's OK, you can say it to me directly, I can take it and certainly don't have a thin skin, especially over the internet.

Let me ask you a question. Are my beliefs any more "pathological" than the obsession some people have over RYS and/or the plight of Gate 2, as if it were more important than their first born? Any more pathological than some of you who haven't strayed from this thread, often spewing hate, some acting like babies who didn't get there way, often spreading mistruths and blatant exaggerations? Any more pathological than some of you who take your angst and anger out on a building (NYS) and those fans who just happen to like it?

How can we take some poster's comments and experiences seriously when some of you are inflexible, only see things in black or white in their worship of RYS, with no in between, and who then turn around and have the gall to tell some of us that our own opinions and experiences aren't valid? How can we take your (some of you) impressions of RYS or NYS seriously, and think that you're being objective, even when it's over a simple discussion about crowd noise?
                  Rob,

With all due respect, I wasn’t referring just to YOU but to all those like you who think that OYS/RYS and all its history and significance was justified in being demolished and lost forever just because they built some stupid pods on the outside--?!?!?!

And if you are going to try to tell me that you, yourself, are not guilty of the same incessant invalidation of others’ opinions and all the similar accusations that you put forth above, then I am laughing my arse off.

You are the KING on this thread of knee-jerk attempted deconstructions of opinions supportive of RYS. Your general attitude can be encapsulated along the lines of, “OYS died after ’73. RYS was crap, and don’t tell me otherwise. If you disagree, then let me explain why you are wrong.”

And don’t ask me for specific examples of this. You know it’s true and so do plenty of others.

One of the greatest buildings known to mankind has been destroyed for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Nothing will remain of it, nor will the site be kept in the way that it deserves to be as a memorial to the unfathomable history that occurred there. No matter how cooooool NYS is, and the “frieze”/exterior/concourses/comforts/blah, blah, blah, blah, this is a TERRIBLE act.

Some people get this. Others, however, get past it just because of “friezes” and concourses. It’s all seduction, just as are all situations in which greed overcomes idealism to destroy what is sincere and good.

Moats in “Yankee Stadium”...moats.

Comment

• Take your last look of RYS...

April 30, 2010...
                    The last remains will be coming down shortly..

"We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by DN4L View Post
                      Oh, so your opinion is actual fact, but ours is a "psychological need"??? Please!

"Why do some of you feel the need to pull this straw-man BS all the time? Do you understand that we're talking about two different concepts here?"
                      "It was one of those special, uncalculated, unpretentensions qualities about the old place that is now gone."
                      "When I go into the new stadium, I see calculated "vibe" and pretension everywhere--like someone is trying to hammer into my head that THIS is Yankee Stadium."
                      Wha, wha, wha, wha, wha, wwwwwwwwhat??????????

Let me tell you something, Charlie...
                      I was there last night, and when Jeter hit his 2 run home run, and his 2 run triple, it was "DEAFENING"!!!!
                      You can talk about this "sound quality factor" thing all you want, and bash this beautiful place, and accuse proponents of NYS of not staying on the topic here...
                      But NYS is here to stay, and is much better than RYS!

OYS 1923-1973 was a true historic landmark.
                      RYS 1976-2008 was a 1970's renovation DEBACLE!!!!!!!!!!
                      "Charlie"--that's cute, man.

You DID read my line stating that what I wrote is my own OPINION, did you not?

Comment

• 4/30/2010: Part 2..

Comment

• 4/30/2010: Part 3

Comment

"Charlie"--that's cute, man.

You DID read my line stating that what I wrote is my own OPINION, did you not?

Yes, I read that line, as well as all the other line(s) in your post...

That's what you call it, your OPINION...
                            But your TONE on your opinion takes a totally different avenue!

Comment

Rob,

With all due respect, I wasn’t referring just to YOU but to all those like you who think that OYS/RYS and all its history and significance was justified in being demolished and lost forever just because they built some stupid pods on the outside--?!?!?!

And if you are going to try to tell me that you, yourself, are not guilty of the same incessant invalidation of others’ opinions and all the similar accusations that you put forth above, then I am laughing my arse off.

You are the KING on this thread of knee-jerk attempted deconstructions of opinions supportive of RYS. Your general attitude can be encapsulated along the lines of, “OYS died after ’73. RYS was crap, and don’t tell me otherwise. If you disagree, then let me explain why you are wrong.”

And don’t ask me for specific examples of this. You know it’s true and so do plenty of others.

One of the greatest buildings known to mankind has been destroyed for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Nothing will remain of it, nor will the site be kept in the way that it deserves to be as a memorial to the unfathomable history that occurred there. No matter how cooooool NYS is, and the “frieze”/exterior/concourses/comforts/blah, blah, blah, blah, this is a TERRIBLE act.

Some people get this. Others, however, get past it just because of “friezes” and concourses. It’s all seduction, just as are all situations in which greed overcomes idealism to destroy what is sincere and good.

Moats in “Yankee Stadium”...moats.

Just "your opinion", huh?
                              Now I'm laughing my arse off!!!

Comment

• A beautiful light at the end of the tunnel...

And what a BEAUTIFUL light it is...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X