Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amen!

YankeeStadium1923:

Before taking my wife to her first game at the Stadium, I made a similar composite of the original and renovated versions, just to show her what was old verses what was new.

The idea of preserving one of the entrances (Gates 2,4,or 6) is ingenius. It doesn't have to be as massive as the image supplied by Swoboda (although it looks great)...just ditch a "pod" and leave one entrance facade intact. The image you supplied on page 28 is a perfect solution...Heritage Park deserves an entrance, and the original Stadium has one primed and (almost) ready for use.

There couldn't be a better solution/proposal...Bravo, gentlemen!

Regards,

Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
      The previous Red Sox ownership tried desperately to sell the virtues of a new Fenway Park but the fan base would have none of it. Yankee fans had a laissez-faire attitude toward preservation of the stadium thus enabling the ownership to flawlessly get this project off the ground without a hitch. The Yankees have a committed fan base, but the bottom line is that the passion for the Red Sox and the facility they play in runs deeper in New England than it does for the Yankees in New York.

I hate the Red Sox and I hate the fact that each year they gut the character of Fenway with schemes to bring in new revenue but I respect them immensely for preserving Fenway because it's a great place to watch a game.
      The Fenway replacement wasn't blocked by any great rising of Sox fans against it. They had been sitting, on the rare occasion when they could actually get tickets, in a cramped, decrepit dump with lousy sight lines. The block was due to the lack of land on which to build a new structure. They were stuck with the same location, and having to expand outward from it, which would have meant acquiring more land around it. Meanwhile the Sox would play...where? Foxboro? So ownership shrugged and did what they could to shore it up and stick seats everywhere imaginable. And the ballpark loonies who never set foot in the palce rejoice it still stands, while the patrons pay ridiculous prices to sit in seats that are uncomfortable for an anorexic hobbit.

Comment

• Hopefully when Red Sox fans come to the Bronx for Yankee-Red Sox games, they'll see the amenities that Yankee Stadium has. Then they'll be begging for a new Red Sox ballpark.
        Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

Comment

• Originally posted by curb my enthusiasm View Post
          Hopefully when Red Sox fans come to the Bronx for Yankee-Red Sox games, they'll see the amenities that Yankee Stadium has. Then they'll be begging for a new Red Sox ballpark.
          I'm sure many Red Sox fans have been to other parks besides Fenway before

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Jones View Post
            YankeeStadium1923:

Before taking my wife to her first game at the Stadium, I made a similar composite of the original and renovated versions, just to show her what was old verses what was new.

The idea of preserving one of the entrances (Gates 2,4,or 6) is ingenius. It doesn't have to be as massive as the image supplied by Swoboda (although it looks great)...just ditch a "pod" and leave one entrance facade intact. The image you supplied on page 28 is a perfect solution...Heritage Park deserves an entrance, and the original Stadium has one primed and (almost) ready for use.

Regards,

Chris
            I'm IN with this. There is precedent. Gaffney St. facade and RF pavilion in Braves Field (now incorporated into Nickerson Field at BU), CF wall of Forbes Field in Shenley Park Pittsburgh, Ticket office and E. 66th St. exterior wall @ League Park Cleveland. Even a portion of the exterior wall on 3rd Av. for Brooklyn's Washington Park (the pre-1913 Ebbets Field home of the Dodgers)!

save the gate, Save The Gate, SAVE THE GATE!!!

Comment

YankeeStadium1923:

Regards,

Chris
              What would be brilliant about saving gate 2 also is that faces NYS's great hall, which is supposed to be about recreating history- what would recreate history more than looking out and seeing a piece of the original stadium?? A reminder of what was.

Last edited by YanksRule; 03-30-2009, 08:47 AM.

Comment

YankeeStadium1923:

Regards,

Chris
                Glad you think it looks great. I purposely left it "big" to allow for negotiation. Aim high, and settle; like government budgeting! If we start the bidding at "just a gate" you might end up with a marker in the dirt. My proposal includes restoration, which is good and bad. It is bad because it will cost money and take time. It is good because, if sold correctly, can create vocational job training (from construction to metalwork) for the youth of the neighborhood. (That's why I cited the St. John the Divine stonework example) By working with the neighborhood, you soften the impact of not dedicating the entire footprint to new parkland. It also will attract more tax advantaged corporate charitable giving (ala Colonial Williamsburg). Think about it in phases: Phase one; a section of the stadium is chosen for preservation, and local universities and high schools can particpate in the archeological "dig" (after the heavy work is done) as that section is de-renovated. Two; that section is readied for restoration, and these classes learn about architectural theory and construction techniques of both the 20's and 70's. Throw in a class on NYC's fiscal crisis of the 70's and its impact on the Yankees. Three; the work of restoring gate 4 starts. Eventually leading up to replacing the roof and frieze. Think about it as a five -ten year teaching project. Then you end up with a beautifully restored small section of OYS.

Anyway, the point is, it could be packaged pretty well, all that needs to be done in the short term is not tear it all down now.

Comment

• They cant retore the orginal gates, the orginal gates are not there anymore. It would be more of a recreation. Can the craftsmanship be recreated? The windows replaced, the Yankee stadium put back up in words. The materials can only be duplicated, it would be new not be orginal. I love Yankee stadium but it was lost in 74. I dont see the orginal stadium anymore, not even from the exterior. It was all filled with cinderblocks, conrete and painted. Maybe leave a section of the outfield wall from MP? Make a nice garden around it in the park or something. Leaving an entire gate up would look awkward stadning alone with the height it is. Maybe leave the orginal ticket booths and repaint them to orginal color? Something subtle thats still orginal, and was untouched. Unfortunately most of YS was touch and altered during the renovation and finding something that is truely orginal will be hard. Like I said earlier, it would prob been harder to watch them hack up the OYS in 74 than watch them tear it down in 09. Leaving the infield would be nice, but even that is not in the orginal placement that ruth, gehrig, dimaggio, mantle, maris, all played on. Its been raised and moved over. who knows where the orginal homeplate exactly was.
                  Last edited by 04golf; 03-30-2009, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• To Swoboda4's, point, aim high while saving some bargaining chips. But cost is inevitably an issue as is occupying the park acreage. So combining some of the suggestions here, I say:

- Save Gate 2 (1923/1928). It's on the 161st St. property line and will serve as the perfect entrance to the new park and sit opposite new gate 6 as was pointed out.

- Keep the Kiosks (1923 or 1928?). Also at the 161st St. property line.

- Salvage a section of the 1937 bleacher wall (roughly from the old 407 to 433/463 FT. signs). Close to the River Av. property line.

Cost would be relatively low; reinforcement of the gate and wall primarily. Impact on proposed park would be minimal in terms of area covered. And all three construction phases of pre-renovated Yankee Stadium would be represented. This would be a real "Heritage Park".

SAVE THE GATE, KEEP THE KIOSKS, SALVAGE THE WALL!!!

Regards,
                    Mark

Comment

• Aim high...gate, kiosks, and wall

Gentlemen:

You're right, Gate 2 is the obvious choice for preservation (for location as well as for the fact that the Gate 4 facade was gutted)...and absolutely, "aim high!"

The "Call to Action" has been sounded and the rallying cry appears above in bold print...what's our next move?

Ya'll (sorry, "youse guys") are brilliant.

Regards,

Chris

Comment

• Thought you guys may be interested to know that I just checked the members list and a certain incredibly annoying poster of pointless and disruptive opinions is no longer listed. He'll probably return under another name, but for now I guess we won't be seeing his crap on the NY ballpark forums. Thank you Mr. Moderator.

Comment

• Washington Park

Mark:

A quick question...how far by taxi or subway is the Washington Park site from the Stadium? I know the outfield wall is the oldest surviving "part" of a major league park in the country, and if time permits on May 5, I'd like to see it.

Thanks,

Chris

Post-Script...fellas, concerning the Gate, the Kiosks (ticket booths), and the Wall; seriously, what IS our next move? Didn't someone write that some of the Yankee brass did peruse BBF...if so, who?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
                            The Fenway replacement wasn't blocked by any great rising of Sox fans against it. They had been sitting, on the rare occasion when they could actually get tickets, in a cramped, decrepit dump with lousy sight lines. The block was due to the lack of land on which to build a new structure. They were stuck with the same location, and having to expand outward from it, which would have meant acquiring more land around it. Meanwhile the Sox would play...where? Foxboro? So ownership shrugged and did what they could to shore it up and stick seats everywhere imaginable. And the ballpark loonies who never set foot in the palce rejoice it still stands, while the patrons pay ridiculous prices to sit in seats that are uncomfortable for an anorexic hobbit.
                            I'm going up there for the mets/sox interleague games in may and I'm not really looking forward too it. I was there a few years back (again for mets/sox interleague) and found out 1st hand Fenways is an uncomfortable place to watch a ballgame. And if your back in the grandstand behind the columns forget it.

Comment

• Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
                              Thought you guys may be interested to know that I just checked the members list and a certain incredibly annoying poster of pointless and disruptive opinions is no longer listed. He'll probably return under another name, but for now I guess we won't be seeing his crap on the NY ballpark forums. Thank you Mr. Moderator.
                              Who? I may have reported him. You can send a private message if you like, no need to publicize it here.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Those who don't like Fenway are in the minority. They drew 3 million and just about everybody showed up. You never see empty seats at Fenway and their fans don't leave early. The Yankees sold 4.2 million seats the last few years and I'm sure only 3.5 million showed up. Shea sold well over 3 million tickets but most games Shea was half empty because of no shows and ticket brokers gobbling up tickets. Same thing with the Yankees.

Face it folks, as big as the Mets were during the 80s, and as big as the Yankees have been since 1996, when it comes to baseball fandom New England loves its Sox more than New York loves the Yankees and the Mets. This is one of the reasons why New England never would have tolerated the destruction of Fenway.

Newer, and bigger doesn't always mean better. Boston Garden was a great place to watch a basketball game. Some of those seats in the balcony high above courtside gave the best views in the NBA. All these NBA arens have decks that are all recessed far back to accommodate the luxury suites and the views suck.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X