X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tino24
    replied
    Originally posted by quagmire View Post
    I am watching a documentary called, " Yankee Stadium: Baseball's cathedral". It has some amazing pictures and videos of the construction of the stadium, all the historical moments, and pictures and color video of the renovation. The music really puts you in the mood of how ominous Yankee Stadium was. Watching this movie has just reinforced my belief of how they could tear this stadium down.
    Except they said cathedral of baseball everyother world

Leave a comment:

• Mike Wagner
    replied
    Dear Friends,

This was on YAHOO! today. I hope Bloomberg, the Steinbrenners, The NYC Parks Dept, and NYC Design Commission have no input here. If they do, the Colosseum is doomed!

Falling mortar renews worry over Rome's Colosseum
    Reuters

Buzz up!0 votes
    * Send
    o Email
    o IM
    o Facebook
    o Twitter
    o Delicious
    o Digg
    o Fark
    o Newsvine
    o Reddit
    o StumbleUpon
    o Technorati
    o Yahoo! Bookmarks
    * Print

30 mins ago

ROME (Reuters Life!) – Falling chunks of mortar from Rome's Colosseum has rekindled the debate about the state of the Italian capital's archaeological treasures -- some of which are literally falling apart.

Three pieces of mortar -- measuring half a square meter (yard) -- collapsed at the weekend in the ancient amphitheatre, one of the most popular sites in Rome, plunging through a protective netting.

It was the latest in a string of collapses in the forum, where ancient Romans came to watch gladiators fight and see massive spectacles staged, raising fears about visitor safety and whether the buildings can remain standing for much longer as water leaks from rain undermine their foundations.

A restoration and cleaning project is set to start within the next month at the Colosseum, which was completed in 80 AD, but the city council is still struggling to raise all the funds needed from the private sector and from donors abroad.

"We have already organized work on all areas around the three rings of the Colosseum, the first, second and third floors, which will be completely restored under this project involving conservation work for 23 million euros" said the under-secretary for Italy's heritage ministry, Francesco Giro.

In March, part of the ceiling collapsed at the nearby Palace of Nero, or Domus Aurea -- which has been plagued by structural problems since it was opened to the public in 1999.

"Conservation, preservation and restoration is needed in the Colosseum and many other places," said Darius Arya of the American Institute for Roman Culture.

"It is very difficult because these are not pieces and artifacts that are inside a museum, they are outside in the open with the rain and the noise and all these tourists walking around. So these are places that need even more money than most people can imagine," he added.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Wagner
    replied
    Dear Friends,

How's this for irony?

NYC's Washington Sq. Park to get 'comfort station'
    NYC Wire
    Published: Today

NEW YORK (AP) - New York City's Washington Square Park has received approval for a $4 million structure that will house a restroom and space for parks department staff.

The Landmarks Preservation Commission approved the plan on Tuesday.

The new glass and granite comfort station will replace three older buildings, including a rundown restroom.

Construction is slated to begin in early 2011. It should be finished in one year.

It is the last phase of a multimillion dollar makeover of the park that included the restoration of its landmark fountain.

The 9.75-acre park is in the heart of Greenwich Village.

___

Information from: New York Post, http://www.nypost.com

Leave a comment:

• locke40
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
    I agree.

The first time I went, my wife and I had a hard time navigating NYC public transit on a Sunday. We finally followed a group of Asians in Yankee caps and hoped for the best. It wasn't until we saw the glimpse of green through the rightfield gap that we knew that we had actually made it.

It's a shame that fans will get off the train before it passes the stadium now.
    Not the fans coming from the north. They actually have a better and longer glimpse of the NYS field then the fans going to RYS from the south.

Leave a comment:

• RichardLillard1
    replied
    Originally posted by nymTom View Post
    I wouldnt count the days, It may be longer then that.. These new stadiums are designed to last much longer then that and im sure with the cost of this one, it will be around a long time.. But one question, since the New Yankee stadium is much bigger is the lot of land its on much bigger then OYS land?? Just wondering cause OYS concourses were rally narrow as it looks like there may have had some land restraints to its overall width of the building down the sides??

Oh and i think NYS looks so much nicer and cleaner without that awful parking garage on top of it like the old park had...

How long the building is designed to last has nothing to do with it. How long it is useful as a money machine for the tenant is the determining factor in how long it will last.

And yes, the new ballpark sits on a much larger plot of land. The new facility itself has 500,000 more square feet of retail space alone.

Richard

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Originally posted by giantsean View Post
    Maybe they'll get it right this time :P

You know what I will miss quite a bit though, taking the 4 train PAST The House... that was one of the great things that told you that you were THERE. Come out of the tunnel, round the bend, and BAM. But no more of that from now on. It's going to be those little things that I will miss the most.
    I agree.

The first time I went, my wife and I had a hard time navigating NYC public transit on a Sunday. We finally followed a group of Asians in Yankee caps and hoped for the best. It wasn't until we saw the glimpse of green through the rightfield gap that we knew that we had actually made it.

It's a shame that fans will get off the train before it passes the stadium now.

Leave a comment:

• YanksRule
    replied
    Originally posted by quagmire View Post
    I am watching a documentary called, " Yankee Stadium: Baseball's cathedral". It has some amazing pictures and videos of the construction of the stadium, all the historical moments, and pictures and color video of the renovation. The music really puts you in the mood of how ominous Yankee Stadium was. Watching this movie has just reinforced my belief of how they could tear this stadium down.
    "When it was a Game" is great for all classic ballparks (and players) as well

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nymTom
    replied
    Originally posted by VAPYankees4 View Post

This picture is good and bad at the same time. It shows the beautiful new stadium we have now but at the same time it shows the stadium and history we lost. I like the New Yankee Stadium but it will never be like the old one, and most likely won't last as long. I think in about 40 or 50 years they'll be building a NEW Yankee Stadium on the spot of the original one
    I wouldnt count the days, It may be longer then that.. These new stadiums are designed to last much longer then that and im sure with the cost of this one, it will be around a long time.. But one question, since the New Yankee stadium is much bigger is the lot of land its on much bigger then OYS land?? Just wondering cause OYS concourses were rally narrow as it looks like there may have had some land restraints to its overall width of the building down the sides??

Oh and i think NYS looks so much nicer and cleaner without that awful parking garage on top of it like the old park had...

Leave a comment:

• giantsean
    replied

This picture is good and bad at the same time. It shows the beautiful new stadium we have now but at the same time it shows the stadium and history we lost. I like the New Yankee Stadium but it will never be like the old one, and most likely won't last as long. I think in about 40 or 50 years they'll be building a NEW Yankee Stadium on the spot of the original one
    This may sound weird too, but from that angle, w/ RYS gone and NYS there, and the track on the garage, and the Deegan and bridge obscured, doesn't it almost NOT look like the same area anymore?

Leave a comment:

• giantsean
    replied

Maybe they'll get it right this time :P

You know what I will miss quite a bit though, taking the 4 train PAST The House... that was one of the great things that told you that you were THERE. Come out of the tunnel, round the bend, and BAM. But no more of that from now on. It's going to be those little things that I will miss the most.

Leave a comment:

• VAPYankees4
    replied

Leave a comment:

• YanksRule
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    A few of us were interviewed by a National Georgraphic cameraman just a short time before we watched Gate 2 fall into history. The name of the Cameraman was Yuri. I'm not sure of his last name, however I have seen him in interviews from watching NATGEO. I did a quick search weeks ago but I couldn't find any information on Yuri.
    You can see him in some of the photos taken from the Subway platform the day Gate 2 was destroyed. Check Gary D or Joe Leotta photos.
    After Opening Day last year, one of the managers of the deconstruction company was outside and had sort of an impromptu informal press conference and he mentioned that Nat Geo was documenting the demolition the same as they did with the Orange Bowl site. So this does make sense...

Leave a comment:

• giantsean
    replied
    Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    One of the two offerings is from a 20s era brick wall on the interior - but the Gehrig offering is a freaking paver from the 90s update of momument park....pitiful.
    Is it at least a brick from around his own monument?

Leave a comment:

• dabigyankeeman
    replied
    Originally posted by Chef Bill View Post
    A lot of good places have been mentioned, but I've had a few poor experiences at Dough Boys. I think the best pizza in the area is Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza - there are at least a dozen locations in Broward and Palm Beach County. The coal oven-roasted chicken wings and onions are to die for!
    I find Dough Boys to be erratic, like so many places down here. Two nights ago it was awesome, other times its so-so. Most pizza places down here dont put enough sauce on the pizza, two nights ago there was a lot of tasty sauce. Havent tried Anthony's yet. Always get a good one at Mario's on University inbetween Sunrise Blve and Sunrise Strip in Sunrise. I still miss being in New York and eating that food though.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X