Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shaneslatts View Post
    Sparkky, those are great plans, and your rendering is exactly as it should be. I think that if anyone here has access to any of the media, they should be submitted ASAP, as, to be honest, I think that the city would like to see all of yankee stadium gone before anyone can complain.
    I have tried going to the politicians(schumer and clinton), and never recieved a reply. I also wrote off and called preservation societies. So it seems to me, they want their plans kept ' hush - hush' .
    Your plan preserves the original sections of the stadium, and allows almost all of the parkland space as well. As is shown in your renderings, what the city will do is destroy the original walls of yankee stadium, not just the ' 1973-75 renovation" . Your renderings prove that, so what it comes down to is why would the city of new york even WANT to be responsible for tearing down the most famous baseball stadium in america? They have never answered that question, because no one has asked it. And of course Im talking about the 1923 original sections of course.
    The thing is, it needs to be presented to the media. There have been websits proposing preservation, but to no avail.
    The media here is the key. Otherwise, Im afraid, all that will be left will be a home plate marker

Right On!

-NYT
    -NYDN
    -NYP
    -LIND
    -NJSL

Should all receive hard & 'soft' copies of SparkyL's proposals. What began as an 'example' of a preservation website has ended up as what should be - period - or at least parts of it. There is little room for improvement to what Sparky has created here, and at least some creativity can be breathed into the chambers of City Hall.

Perhaps Kaplanski can deconstruct some of his fabulous late '60s OYS renderings into a post-2010 Heritage Field - the way it ought to be!
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
      Right On!
      -NYT
      -NYDN
      -NYP
      -LIND
      -NJSL
      The NJR too!
      sigpic

Comment

• Before we go too much further - anyone here capable of creating renderings?

These will be the backbone of our proposal and the kind of thing that the media will grab and run with.

Comment

• Originally posted by shaneslatts View Post
          Sparkky, those are great plans, and your rendering is exactly as it should be. I think that if anyone here has access to any of the media, they should be submitted ASAP, as, to be honest, I think that the city would like to see all of yankee stadium gone before anyone can complain.
          I have tried going to the politicians(schumer and clinton), and never recieved a reply. I also wrote off and called preservation societies. So it seems to me, they want their plans kept ' hush - hush' .
          Your plan preserves the original sections of the stadium, and allows almost all of the parkland space as well. As is shown in your renderings, what the city will do is destroy the original walls of yankee stadium, not just the ' 1973-75 renovation" . Your renderings prove that, so what it comes down to is why would the city of new york even WANT to be responsible for tearing down the most famous baseball stadium in america? They have never answered that question, because no one has asked it. And of course Im talking about the 1923 original sections of course.
          The thing is, it needs to be presented to the media. There have been websits proposing preservation, but to no avail.
          The media here is the key. Otherwise, Im afraid, all that will be left will be a home plate marker

just to let you know, Hillary Clinton isn't a senator anymore. She's President Obama's Secretary of State. I have no clue who the lady who took her place is, all I know is I don't like her, and I hope Chuck Schumer does something to embarrass her.

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
            I live in New England, and I can say that the Red Sox have always been THE team that NE sports fans root for. But since 2004...it's like EVERY SINGLE PERSON claims to like the Sox here. Obviously it died back down with the Sox being eliminated by the Rays in October and the Celtics taking center stage.

But yeah you are absolutely right. Red Sox 'religion' is true if you are talking about legit Red Sox fans who attend the games and genuinely enjoy the game. But the rest of 'em... it's just quantity instead of quality. Most of them forget about the Sox in the winter and remember that they are good when October comes around again.
            I guess it also depends what section of New England you live in. Connecticut, particularly the two most populated counties, Fairfield and New Haven, have a far larger Yankee fanbase then Red Sox fanbase. Living here, I see a lot more Yankee fans then Red Sox fans. The rest of the state probably lean more towards the Red Sox though. So I think it's fair to say Southern New England is Yankee territory, and the Yankees have always been the team to root for in these parts.

Comment

• is anyone going to start taking pictures of the fence they have been putting up around the perimeter of the ballpark?

Comment

• Originally posted by trueblue9441 View Post
                is anyone going to start taking pictures of the fence they have been putting up around the perimeter of the ballpark?
                I have tickets to Friday's game, so I'll try to take a picture of it if I can.

Comment

• Is that fence all the way around the stadium yet...hope not, wanted to take some more concrete and paint chips from the outer shell. went the other day and grabbed some and noticed they started putting it up...what ever happened to that movie they were going to film there this year, guess it went down the tubes
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
                    Connecticut, particularly the two most populated counties, Fairfield and New Haven, have a far larger Yankee fanbase then Red Sox fanbase. Living here, I see a lot more Yankee fans then Red Sox fans.
                    I BEG TO DIFFER, YF3783. The only Yankee Fans I'm able to commune with are those that commute up from the City to work where I do in Stamford! Otherwise it's a whole freakin' other country out here - I'm a navy-blue&white DOT in an obnoxious sea of RED. Actually for every Yankee cap in Stamford I do see two Mets caps. But for those three NY fans there are SEVEN more goobers wearing a Redsox cap or other Boston apparel. What town exactly do you live in in FFCo? And in which decade?

"...Is there aNYbody alive out there?.." - the Boss
                    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Save, Keep, Salvage

Hey, Mark...And All Of Us With Similar Mindsets:

To answer your question, "Shall we do this?"...the answer is a resounding,
                      "Yes!"

Even in failure, we will know we tried. Possibly, along with "renderings" (and we have two beautiful drafts already posted) and a web page, we should flood the Yankee offices with phonecalls, faxes, and mail...and find a kindred spirit in the local press. I think I'll begin with the folks heading up YANKEES MAGAZINE and proceed from there...what ya'll think 'bout that?

Damn, it should would help if the Yankees still had a AAA team in Richmond.

Comment

• as of last sunday...here's part of the blue wall, they had part of left field bleacher entrances up to the subway platform blocked off so far
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                          I BEG TO DIFFER, YF3783. The only Yankee Fans I'm able to commune with are those that commute up from the City to work where I do in Stamford! Otherwise it's a whole freakin' other country out here - I'm a navy-blue&white DOT in an obnoxious sea of RED. Actually for every Yankee cap in Stamford I do see two Mets caps. But for those three NY fans there are SEVEN more goobers wearing a Redsox cap or other Boston apparel. What town exactly do you live in in FFCo? And in which decade?

"...Is there aNYbody alive out there?.." - the Boss
                          I live in Waterbury (New Haven County). I've noticed in my city, along with surrounding towns and any place heading towards the New York border, Yankee fans out number Red Sox fans. Obviously I have no statistics to prove it, I'm just going by Yankee gear vs Red Sox gear that I see people wear, and whenever I watch games at local bars. North of here though (heading towards Hartford) is a different story.

I did come across this article from the NY Times. I believe I read one in 2003(?) where the Yankees were tops. I'm guessing the bandwagoners hold the swing vote.
                          Last edited by Yankeefan3783; 03-31-2009, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
                            I have no clue who the lady who took her place is, all I know is I don't like her. . .
                            That is Great! A person can never be constantly sad or suffer from melancholy when reading your posts Jimmy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Jones View Post
                              Hey, Mark...And All Of Us With Similar Mindsets:

To answer your question, "Shall we do this?"...the answer is a resounding,
                              "Yes!"

Even in failure, we will know we tried. Possibly, along with "renderings" (and we have two beautiful drafts already posted) and a web page, we should flood the Yankee offices with phonecalls, faxes, and mail...and find a kindred spirit in the local press. I think I'll begin with the folks heading up YANKEES MAGAZINE and proceed from there...what ya'll think 'bout that?

Damn, it should would help if the Yankees still had a AAA team in Richmond.
                              I think dealing with the folks who run yankee magazine would be a great start...BUT, we have to remember that they are after all, part of the Yankees, and I think that the Yankees want the entire structure gone and demolished. I also think that dealing with any of the political types would be a waste of time, as they seem to take their 'marching orders' from the media. The NY Post, the Daily News, the local stations..WFAN comes to mind. The way to get to the Yankees, and the polititians would be thru the media, and make them address several issues.
                              1. Why is the original 1923 outer facade of the stadium not eligible for landmark status?
                              2. Why would the city of New York be so eager to demolish the most famous stadium in america, when preserving it would only promote baseball, the city of New York, the Bronx and the yankees as well?
                              3. Why is a 1970's apartment building a 'land mark' while the original sections of the stadium are not?
                              4. Why is the argument for a preservation of the historical sections of yankee stadium(say third base to first base, lower section only) constantly taken to mean that folks want the entire structer(upper deck, etc) preserved?(I think its done simply to cloud the issue)The sections that should be preserved would be the lower sections. I have read that the walls of yankee stadium are 36 inches thick.Sorry, but 36 imches of space around the park is not "robbing valuable parkland"

These questions I think, along with the Sparkeys really nice renderings are what needs to be addressed. They never have been addressed by anyone in the main streem media, nor by any politition, nor by the yankees themselves. They need to be held accountable for the actions they are about to take in the destruction of a stadium so unique, that the yankees made sure to copy it as much as possible
                              I live far away in Florida, but if there is anything I can do to help, let me know

Comment

• Preservation

Hey, shaneslatts:

You live in Florida...great! How far from Legends'/Steinbrenner Field? Give those folks a call, especially since "the Boss" spends so much time down there. There has to be someone in the offices who would, at the very least, listen to you. Will there be any action taken?...probably not, but you will have placed a bug in somebody's ear.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Chris

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X