• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Friends,

How's this for irony?

NYC's Washington Sq. Park to get 'comfort station'
    NYC Wire
    Published: Today

NEW YORK (AP) - New York City's Washington Square Park has received approval for a $4 million structure that will house a restroom and space for parks department staff.

The Landmarks Preservation Commission approved the plan on Tuesday.

The new glass and granite comfort station will replace three older buildings, including a rundown restroom.

Construction is slated to begin in early 2011. It should be finished in one year.

It is the last phase of a multimillion dollar makeover of the park that included the restoration of its landmark fountain.

The 9.75-acre park is in the heart of Greenwich Village.

___

Information from: New York Post, http://www.nypost.com

Comment

• Dear Friends,

This was on YAHOO! today. I hope Bloomberg, the Steinbrenners, The NYC Parks Dept, and NYC Design Commission have no input here. If they do, the Colosseum is doomed!

Falling mortar renews worry over Rome's Colosseum
      Reuters

Buzz up!0 votes
      * Send
      o Email
      o IM
      o Facebook
      o Twitter
      o Delicious
      o Digg
      o Fark
      o Newsvine
      o Reddit
      o StumbleUpon
      o Technorati
      o Yahoo! Bookmarks
      * Print

30 mins ago

ROME (Reuters Life!) – Falling chunks of mortar from Rome's Colosseum has rekindled the debate about the state of the Italian capital's archaeological treasures -- some of which are literally falling apart.

Three pieces of mortar -- measuring half a square meter (yard) -- collapsed at the weekend in the ancient amphitheatre, one of the most popular sites in Rome, plunging through a protective netting.

It was the latest in a string of collapses in the forum, where ancient Romans came to watch gladiators fight and see massive spectacles staged, raising fears about visitor safety and whether the buildings can remain standing for much longer as water leaks from rain undermine their foundations.

A restoration and cleaning project is set to start within the next month at the Colosseum, which was completed in 80 AD, but the city council is still struggling to raise all the funds needed from the private sector and from donors abroad.

"We have already organized work on all areas around the three rings of the Colosseum, the first, second and third floors, which will be completely restored under this project involving conservation work for 23 million euros" said the under-secretary for Italy's heritage ministry, Francesco Giro.

In March, part of the ceiling collapsed at the nearby Palace of Nero, or Domus Aurea -- which has been plagued by structural problems since it was opened to the public in 1999.

"Conservation, preservation and restoration is needed in the Colosseum and many other places," said Darius Arya of the American Institute for Roman Culture.

"It is very difficult because these are not pieces and artifacts that are inside a museum, they are outside in the open with the rain and the noise and all these tourists walking around. So these are places that need even more money than most people can imagine," he added.

Comment

• Originally posted by quagmire View Post
        I am watching a documentary called, " Yankee Stadium: Baseball's cathedral". It has some amazing pictures and videos of the construction of the stadium, all the historical moments, and pictures and color video of the renovation. The music really puts you in the mood of how ominous Yankee Stadium was. Watching this movie has just reinforced my belief of how they could tear this stadium down.
        Except they said cathedral of baseball everyother world

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
          How long the building is designed to last has nothing to do with it. How long it is useful as a money machine for the tenant is the determining factor in how long it will last.

And yes, the new ballpark sits on a much larger plot of land. The new facility itself has 500,000 more square feet of retail space alone.

Richard

UH, what?? I dont get your point..Wether they built a new or kept RYS , it was still going to be a cash cow either way. If its standing they will come.

Also if the lot of land at OYS site is much smaller, then how would they fit a new stadium there filled with all these modern day amenities they have today.. Simplicity is not the wave of the future unfortunately.

Comment

• You commented that the new Yankee Stadium would be around longer than the next 40-50 years. My comment was directed at the practicality of that statement. Note the word useful in my post.

Yankee Stadium was not closed because it was falling apart or in despair. Its doors were closed because more money could be made from a new facility with much more retail space and dozens more suites.

The fact of the matter is that the new Yankee Stadium will stand as long as it is the most up to date facility for generating money for the Yankees organization. If a time should come when the facility would not be in a position to maximize profit and other venues are newer with something else to offer, then the 2009 Yankee Stadium would need either a renovation or replacement. The latter of which being the most probable, as these new ballparks aren't designed with much modification in mind. (For example, how would you put more suites into the new Stadium if suites became as popular as they were 5-10 years ago again? Enclose the mezzanine level concourse so you could put more in? I bet that would go over real well with fans.)

As for how they would build a bigger ballpark on the 1923 plot of land; you're right, it's smaller and thus impossible to use the exact footprint. However 157th street and Ruppert/Doughty are no longer trafficed roads and would easily accomodate much more space.

Richard

Comment

• I get what your saying, but how much more ammenity can they get in a ballpark. i think there is now too much as it is. Cant people just go to the ball park and watch a game?? Do we really need a plethora of restaurants, Bars, and all sorts of other venues at a Ballpark or as they now call them MallParks.. But your right if there is more money to be made, im sure accomodations will be made and if after 50 years the NYS is unsuitable for the times, then yea i guess a case for another park woudl be made. I just see NYS lasting a bit longer then that IMO..

Also, good point about the OYS site and the surrounding streets not in traffic use so that they can be used for possible expansions for the one day new but Old site of Yankee Stadium. Its ilke back to the future, LOL

Comment

• I don't know if they will have need for more of anything either, but I do see a constantly growing trend that most teams have jumped on, with the exception of the Red Sox and Cubs, who seem to recognize that by embracing their history, they've made getting tickets to a game at their parks (specifically Fenway) one of the most demanded things in baseball, to which there isn't much supply.

But it wouldn't surprise me if at some point they want more of something. As long as more money is to be made, something will change the game and how we experience it.

Back to the future...or Deja vu all over again!

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                  Dear Friends,

This was on YAHOO! today. I hope Bloomberg, the Steinbrenners, The NYC Parks Dept, and NYC Design Commission have no input here. If they do, the Colosseum is doomed!

Falling mortar renews worry over Rome's Colosseum
                  Reuters

Buzz up!0 votes
                  * Send
                  o Email
                  o IM
                  o Facebook
                  o Twitter
                  o Delicious
                  o Digg
                  o Fark
                  o Newsvine
                  o Reddit
                  o StumbleUpon
                  o Technorati
                  o Yahoo! Bookmarks
                  * Print

30 mins ago

ROME (Reuters Life!) – Falling chunks of mortar from Rome's Colosseum has rekindled the debate about the state of the Italian capital's archaeological treasures -- some of which are literally falling apart.

Three pieces of mortar -- measuring half a square meter (yard) -- collapsed at the weekend in the ancient amphitheatre, one of the most popular sites in Rome, plunging through a protective netting.

It was the latest in a string of collapses in the forum, where ancient Romans came to watch gladiators fight and see massive spectacles staged, raising fears about visitor safety and whether the buildings can remain standing for much longer as water leaks from rain undermine their foundations.

A restoration and cleaning project is set to start within the next month at the Colosseum, which was completed in 80 AD, but the city council is still struggling to raise all the funds needed from the private sector and from donors abroad.

"We have already organized work on all areas around the three rings of the Colosseum, the first, second and third floors, which will be completely restored under this project involving conservation work for 23 million euros" said the under-secretary for Italy's heritage ministry, Francesco Giro.

In March, part of the ceiling collapsed at the nearby Palace of Nero, or Domus Aurea -- which has been plagued by structural problems since it was opened to the public in 1999.

"Conservation, preservation and restoration is needed in the Colosseum and many other places," said Darius Arya of the American Institute for Roman Culture.

"It is very difficult because these are not pieces and artifacts that are inside a museum, they are outside in the open with the rain and the noise and all these tourists walking around. So these are places that need even more money than most people can imagine," he added.

Salva cancello a due!

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                    As for how they would build a bigger ballpark on the 1923 plot of land; you're right, it's smaller and thus impossible to use the exact footprint. However 157th street and Ruppert/Doughty are no longer trafficed roads and would easily accomodate much more space.
                    The area where the 153rd Street Garage sits would be fair game as well. Whatever parking would be lost could be re-claimed by building a taller garage on the unused space, possibly as high as the ballpark itself. And that could add another high-roller amenity, or perquisite: one parking level could be reserved for suite/club tickets, and direct entrances to the ballpack could be built from the garage.

Originally posted by nymTom View Post
                    Do we really need a plethora of restaurants, Bars, and all sorts of other venues at a Ballpark or as they now call them MallParks.
                    If I go to Yankee's (fake) stadium at 1 E. 161 St at Bronx in 2010 I will eat "Lobels" steak Sandwich to Enhance my enjoyment experience of looking at baseball men performing athletic activities in clean white uniform clothing with interlocking "N"s and "Y"s in public.
                    X
                    What's THAT guy doing?
                    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                      The area where the 153rd Street Garage sits would be fair game as well. Whatever parking would be lost could be re-claimed by building a taller garage on the unused space, possibly as high as the ballpark itself. And that could add another high-roller amenity, or perquisite: one parking level could be reserved for suite/club tickets, and direct entrances to the ballpack could be built from the garage.

If I go to Yankee's (fake) stadium at 1 E. 161 St at Bronx in 2010 I will eat "Lobels" steak Sandwich to Enhance my enjoyment experience of looking at baseball men performing athletic activities in clean white uniform clothing with interlocking "N"s and "Y"s in public.
                      Why go to Yankee at all when you can wait on line for 3 innings to eat a burger at citi/playground fields main selling point

Comment

• Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
                        Why go to Yankee at all when you can wait on line for 3 innings to eat a burger at citi/playground fields main selling point
                        I will go to City Field's stadium and eat a Hamburger sandwich for three innings at the Mr. Met Kiddie Field.
                        X
                        What's THAT guy doing?
                        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Fake???
                          At least our (fake) new stadium represents the history of the NEW YORK YANKEES...
                          And not the history of another Major League Baseball franchise.
                          IE: Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers!!!
                          "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizrdKng67 View Post
                            Salva cancello a due!
                            Better "Salvate l'entrata numero due" Anyway, Colosseum has a lot of "gates"!

Comment

If I go to Yankee's (fake) stadium at 1 E. 161 St at Bronx
                              Ha ha! I love you Gary.
                              Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                                Ha ha! I love you Gary.
                                The great part about the new stadium is- at the 30+ games Ive been to in many different sections- everyone Ive talked to loves it -not one bad review (unlike RYS when it opened)
                                The Yankees play great there
                                We won a world series there- (much like in rys)
                                the Players also seem to love it
                                it seems to have succeded on all fronts

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X