X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schnu
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob R View Post
    Skip the corned beef (have it on St Paddy's day or something) and go for the king of all pastrami sandwiches at Katz's Deli. They're the only deli left that still hand carves their meat instead of putting it through a slicer, like everyone else. The hand carving makes a HUGE difference and a more tender, tastier sandwich. And if you really want corned beef, though not as good as their pastrami, it's still a cut above the rest and hand-carved as well.

Plus Katz's pastrami is specially cured, not commercial like most other delis.
    There's a Toasties deli by my office (48th btwn 5th & Madison) that still hand-carves their pastrami and corned beef sandwiches. And I agree the hand carving makes a HUGE difference.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    Classless and tackier than anything in recent memory from a professional sports franchise:

They're already selling off the rubble - Steiner, the Yankees and the Times all get a piece of the action from destroying history. Blech. Ptooey. Class organization indeed!
    Didn't they sell the same crap from Shea?

Leave a comment:

• dabigyankeeman
    replied
    Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    Classless and tackier than anything in recent memory from a professional sports franchise:

They're already selling off the rubble - Steiner, the Yankees and the Times all get a piece of the action from destroying history. Blech. Ptooey. Class organization indeed!
    If the stadium was destroyed to create these items, then i would agree, that would be terrible. However, since the stadium was destroyed anyway, at least stuff like this gives the average person who feels stongly about the stadium a chance to get a piece of it.

I hate the fact that the great sports cathedral in this country has been destroyed, but since it has, whats wrong with selling this stuff?

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Maas_Pasqua_Pags
    replied
    Originally posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
    Yeah, Katz is excellant, but remember that Carnegie makes their own pastrami and in my humble opinion its the best, as are their knishes. However, either one is fantastic. Yum........
    Tears on my pillow....................
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• shaneslatts
    replied
    Skip the corned beef (have it on St Paddy's day or something) and go for the king of all pastrami sandwiches at Katz's Deli. They're the only deli left that still hand carves their meat instead of putting it through a slicer, like everyone else. The hand carving makes a HUGE difference and a more tender, tastier sandwich. And if you really want corned beef, though not as good as their pastrami, it's still a cut above the rest and hand-carved as well.

Since I moved to Florida, I havent had a good corned beef sandwich.
    May the curse of the Bambino be on the lot of you for talking about corned beef

Leave a comment:

• dabigyankeeman
    replied

Yeah, Katz is excellant, but remember that Carnegie makes their own pastrami and in my humble opinion its the best, as are their knishes. However, either one is fantastic. Yum........

Leave a comment:

• YankeeDean
    replied
    I imagine a lot of us right abut now are reminiscing about our fathers and the games they took us to. God bless those still with us and may those we have lost rest in peace.

My dad would have been 80 on June 5th. He was a hard-working immigrant who was not into baseball, but he made sure he brought his son and his friends to the ballpark. July 22, 1969 was my first. Yankees lost to Seattle Pilots 5-2. since then, in more than 200 games I have a 750+ winning pct, regular and post season. I give my dad credit for that.
    I'm not sure how much I'll be visiting this thread from now on, but many thanks to Gary and all the rest of the people who posted photos.

Leave a comment:

• Rob R
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mike Wagner
    replied
    Dear kobathecat,

You are also correct in what you say. I fully agree with you. I also firmly believe both of us are right in our opinions. A decent portion of old Yankee Stadium should have been left so people would at least have a true idea of what it was like. No, it's not the same as going to the Stadium for a game, but to leave absolutely nothing is totally wrong!!!

-Mike

Leave a comment:

• kobathecat
    replied
    [QUOTE=Mike Wagner;1732787]Dear dabigyankeeman and JE Piper,

You and many others know what I'm talking about. The sights, aromas, and taste of a corned beef on rye. How many people are looking at the above photo and wonder what it tastes like since they've never had this wonderful experience? We're lucky because we've had the honor and pleasure to do so. The same for old Yankee Stadium. People who hae never had the honor or pleasure to see it or go there, but will in the future, will be deprived of the experience, and can only imagine what is was like. Instead they'll be "treated" to some worthless garbage put up by the NYC Parks Dept. that won't come close to the true experience. That is so sad, especially since it was so avoidable.

Mike, I respectfully disagree. While I also wished Gate 2 or some other remnant(s) of Yankee Stadium could have been saved for posterity, doing so would not have allowed future visitors to experience 'Yankee Stadium'. True, they could have touched Gate 2 and though 'this is a part of it, a witness to history', but that is not the same as buying a ticket, entering the fully functioning facility, and watching the actual team play a game there. That ended the moment of the last play of the last game back in September 2008. You can imagine it, and imagining is good as I often do it when walking preserved Civil War battlefields, but that is still not the same as the actual experience.

Leave a comment:

• cgcoyne2
    replied
    Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
    from weds
    sorry about this I have no idea how to post pictures here
    Here you go.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SparkyL
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Do you HAVE to talk about steroids in this thread? Please take the discussion elsewhere, or start a new thread if there isn't already an appropriate "elsewhere." Thank you.
    Most of the posts in the thread are off-topic

Leave a comment:

• Mike Wagner
    replied
    Dear dabigyankeeman and JE Piper,

You and many others know what I'm talking about. The sights, aromas, and taste of a corned beef on rye. How many people are looking at the above photo and wonder what it tastes like since they've never had this wonderful experience? We're lucky because we've had the honor and pleasure to do so. The same for old Yankee Stadium. People who hae never had the honor or pleasure to see it or go there, but will in the future, will be deprived of the experience, and can only imagine what is was like. Instead they'll be "treated" to some worthless garbage put up by the NYC Parks Dept. that won't come close to the true experience. That is so sad, especially since it was so avoidable.

By the way, when I see this photo, all I can say is, "I'M IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

-Mike

Leave a comment:

• dabigyankeeman
    replied
    Originally posted by JE Piper View Post
    Carnegie Deli for a "great" corned beef on rye???? That's equivalent to New Yankee Stadium to me -- try Ben's Best on Queens Boulevard!
    Carnegie Deli - you gotta have the pastrami sandwich and a knish and a Dr Browns Black Cherry. Carnegie Deli is the best, better than Bens or anyone else for pastrami and knishes. Better knishes than Knish Knosh too. Carnegie is tops!!!!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X