No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else take the LIRR? I was looking out the window on my way home last night and saw what I'd swear was Yankee Stadium debris in Hicksville. I was in a south facing window and the debris was in a huge pile. Large chunks. Lots of Yankee blue on huge chunks of cement. It really caught my eye. That blue was the color of the Stadium blue. It was just west of the Hicksville train station. Maybe a mile west. I may drive down there this weekend. My only doubt is that I read somewhere on the board the cement was being ground up on site. But man, that looked like Yankee Stadium cement I tells ya. Again, this pile was in a lot that was on the south side of the tracks inbetween Westbuy and Hicksville. Close to the Hicksville train station. There is another site for old cement on the northside but that's not it. After Westbury just keep looking out a south facing window. THere's a lot of trees so you don't get too much time to see.
    Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by shaneslatts View Post
      Just to get back on topic....
      Does anyone have any new pictures of the site, clean up, etc?
      I'm also curious to see if they buried the 'basement' or if they dug that area out.
      +1 - anything new as far as the old site?
      "There's no crying in Baseball!"
      -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
        Does anyone else take the LIRR? I was looking out the window on my way home last night and saw what I'd swear was Yankee Stadium debris in Hicksville. I was in a south facing window and the debris was in a huge pile. Large chunks. Lots of Yankee blue on huge chunks of cement. It really caught my eye. That blue was the color of the Stadium blue. It was just west of the Hicksville train station. Maybe a mile west. I may drive down there this weekend. My only doubt is that I read somewhere on the board the cement was being ground up on site. But man, that looked like Yankee Stadium cement I tells ya. Again, this pile was in a lot that was on the south side of the tracks inbetween Westbuy and Hicksville. Close to the Hicksville train station. There is another site for old cement on the northside but that's not it. After Westbury just keep looking out a south facing window. THere's a lot of trees so you don't get too much time to see.

I took these photos, on November 16, 2009..
        Notice the address on the door of the truck, in the last photo..

"We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
          Does anyone else take the LIRR? I was looking out the window on my way home last night and saw what I'd swear was Yankee Stadium debris in Hicksville. I was in a south facing window and the debris was in a huge pile. Large chunks. Lots of Yankee blue on huge chunks of cement. It really caught my eye. That blue was the color of the Stadium blue. It was just west of the Hicksville train station. Maybe a mile west. I may drive down there this weekend. My only doubt is that I read somewhere on the board the cement was being ground up on site. But man, that looked like Yankee Stadium cement I tells ya. Again, this pile was in a lot that was on the south side of the tracks inbetween Westbuy and Hicksville. Close to the Hicksville train station. There is another site for old cement on the northside but that's not it. After Westbury just keep looking out a south facing window. THere's a lot of trees so you don't get too much time to see.
          If that's the case, is there any way to access the site to grab a few chucks of concrete?
          sigpic

Comment

• I work in Hicksville and will take a look over there on Monday. I'm sure it will be closed, but I'll see what I can see. Then I'll return on Tuesday and have a chat with the folks in charge. Good job Maxlugar. And DN4L, how come WE didn't think of this a lot sooner?
            Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
              I work in Hicksville and will take a look over there on Monday. I'm sure it will be closed, but I'll see what I can see. Then I'll return on Tuesday and have a chat with the folks in charge. Good job Maxlugar. And DN4L, how come WE didn't think of this a lot sooner?
              Hey bros reserve us all a chunk and we'll all have a good laugh at Brandon Steiner's expense

Comment

• Not quite the same vantage point, but here is a before and after using one of DNL4's pics and one from 1934.

YS1934..jpg

Comment

• Found Hewitt St in Hicksville on the map. Its just off of Old Country Rd but doesn't look like it backs up to the LIRR tracks. I'll check it out tomorrow and stop in on Tues.
                  Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

I work in Hicksville and will take a look over there on Monday. I'm sure it will be closed, but I'll see what I can see. Then I'll return on Tuesday and have a chat with the folks in charge. Good job Maxlugar. And DN4L, how come WE didn't think of this a lot sooner?

I didn't think of it, because I was expecting and waiting for "you know who" to take care of us..
                    That was our "real" brain fart!
                    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

Found Hewitt St in Hicksville on the map. Its just off of Old Country Rd but doesn't look like it backs up to the LIRR tracks. I'll check it out tomorrow and stop in on Tues.
                      Maybe Hewitt just the trucking co's address. I had a look at Google Earth in the area mentioned. There are a few facilities that look like they do recycling or construction (some have what look like new cement/sand piles as well) south of the LIRR tracks, west of Hicksville Station, from Grand St to Sylvester St. A bit farther west than a mile but then that's hard to gauge.

Hey... ya never know!

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsean View Post
                        Maybe Hewitt just the trucking co's address. I had a look at Google Earth in the area mentioned. There are a few facilities that look like they do recycling or construction (some have what look like new cement/sand piles as well) south of the LIRR tracks, west of Hicksville Station, from Grand St to Sylvester St. A bit farther west than a mile but then that's hard to gauge.

Hey... ya never know!
                        Wow just noticed too that GE have finally updated the maps so that you can now see both NYS and some of the demo work on RYS. In the 2009 pic they are in the middle of removing the seats and have laid them out on the outfield. Turf is gone but you can still see the diamond, and moss is already growing on the field level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelt View Post
                          Not quite the same vantage point, but here is a before and after using one of DNL4's pics and one from 1934.

[ATTACH]86087[/ATTACH]
                          To me, thats an amazing comparision.
                          You can almost see the Babe, in the new pic, standing amongst the rubble of the House he BUILT.

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsean View Post
                            Wow just noticed too that GE have finally updated the maps so that you can now see both NYS and some of the demo work on RYS. In the 2009 pic they are in the middle of removing the seats and have laid them out on the outfield. Turf is gone but you can still see the diamond, and moss is already growing on the field level.
                            All I see on Google Earth is OYS and NYS as a mockup. And the seats and field are still there as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by quagmire View Post
                              All I see on Google Earth is OYS and NYS as a mockup. And the seats and field are still there as well.
                              If your version is updated there should be a little clock, which when clicked produces a slider w/ markers on it. Click back the slider to go back over the years. I found that image around April 2009.

Comment

• I found maxlugars pile of debris today, and it definitely looks like Yankee Stadium. The address for the trucking co. is a house, probably the business owners. There were no trucks around. I drove along Duffy Ave which runs parallel to the LIRR tracks. Just about one mile west of Hicksville I found a co. called Island Waste Services. They were closed of course, but a peek thru the fence revealed two piles of debris. The first was large pieces of concrete, some with the familiar blue paint. The second pile was cinder blocks and crushed concrete. I went around to the side to get a better view thru another fence and the "Stadium blue" is pretty clear. I'll be going back tomorrow morning to speak to whoever is in charge.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X