Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    I live in Waterbury (New Haven County). I've noticed in my city, along with surrounding towns and any place heading towards the New York border, Yankee fans out number Red Sox fans. Obviously I have no statistics to prove it, I'm just going by Yankee gear vs Red Sox gear that I see people wear, and whenever I watch games at local bars. North of here though (heading towards Hartford) is a different story.

I did come across this article from the NY Times. I believe I read one in 2003(?) where the Yankees were tops. I'm guessing the bandwagoners hold the swing vote.
    The extreme southwest corner of CT. that borders Westchester is a weird area in the sense that while all of the state is considered in New England, that part has really more ties to the metro NY area then it does Boston or New England. Nobody in that area has a new England accent, they all talk like New Yorkers.
    Once you get out past the southern LI sound cities like Bridgeport and New Haven then your starting to really get into New England. Anything Hartford and north is stright up Boston and New England and there nobody holds too many ties to NYC.

Comment

• Save Something

Gentlemen:

I put a call into the Yankee offices (Yankee Publications) as well as the library at the Hall of Fame...and am awaiting return calls.

I also contacted Mickey Mantle's Restaurant and spoke with Bart. He recommended e-mailing the restaurant with a detailed proposal...
      [email protected] (maybe they could, in some way, publicize what we're trying to do). The restaurant has a strong relationship with the franchise, and we, in no way, want to jeopadize that!

If any of you live near the restaurant or have easy access to it, a personal visit with a proposal may be more effective.

There are at least 22 individuals on BBF who have directly addressed the preservation proposal and several more who have alluded to it in one way or another (not counting those on other threads).

I'll let ya'll know when (not "if") I hear back from the Yankees and the Hall.

P.S. At the very least, we should shoot for preserving a kiosk or two (although I've heard some individuals are looking to purchase them).

Regards,

Chris

Comment

• Wait A Damn Minute

Hell...with at least 22 guys interested in preserving some part of the original Stadium, we could pool our financial resouces, purchase a kiosk or something, and donate it to the Yankees as part of Heritage Park (one kiosk is better than a plaque).

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Jones View Post
          Hell...with at least 22 guys interested in preserving some part of the original Stadium, we could pool our financial resouces, purchase a kiosk or something, and donate it to the Yankees as part of Heritage Park (one kiosk is better than a plaque).
          We could do that.. the one issue would be if we bought it, it would probably be shipped to us in some way shape or form.. we'd have to work with the NYC Parks department to see if they would take it- remember, these are the same people who refused to have the park with some of the stands kept up, so they obviously don't give a damn about history.

I'm just saying it may not be as easy as it sounds.. although I'm up for trying....

Comment

• Originally posted by YanksRule View Post
            We could do that.. the one issue would be if we bought it, it would probably be shipped to us in some way shape or form.. we'd have to work with the NYC Parks department to see if they would take it- remember, these are the same people who refused to have the park with some of the stands kept up, so they obviously don't give a damn about history.

I'm just saying it may not be as easy as it sounds.. although I'm up for trying....
            The generals (NYC Parks Dept.) start the damn wars, and we're the soldiers, who know and care the most, who are always getting shot.

...maybe we could find an address about a mile from the Stadium, have it shipped there, then just roll it back to where it was.

Comment

• Do the Yankees pen have more perks then the visitors pen? because they kind of shaped differently. Looks like the Yankees have an extra door to the side before you open the door to the lounge area.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly85MVP View Post
                as of last sunday...here's part of the blue wall, they had part of left field bleacher entrances up to the subway platform blocked off so far
                I am going to guess that dismantling the frieze will be the first thing that they do, followed by the scoreboard and then the bleachers. That removes the section closest to the El and opens up the stadium to get heavy equipment inside.

Comment

• Originally posted by 80SHOCK View Post
                  Do the Yankees pen have more perks then the visitors pen? because they kind of shaped differently. Looks like the Yankees have an extra door to the side before you open the door to the lounge area.
                  Hi 80SHOCK . . I think you posted this to the wrong thread.

I don't have the Service Level plans handy, but if I remember correctly, the visitor's pen has an exist directly to the Service corridor, while the Yankees pen didn't. Therefore the Yankee pitchers will have to enter/exit via MP.

Comment

• ^ Oh yeah I did woops...

Comment

• Step 1

What we need is someone who can produce some renderings like these with the gate in place . . . . to the architects on this board, any volunteers?

Once we have a few then we can create some proposals that can be delivered to elected officials, media, fans, etc. But we need to start with something that people can see.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                        What we need is someone who can produce some renderings like these with the gate in place . . . . to the architects on this board, any volunteers?

Once we have a few then we can create some proposals that can be delivered to elected officials, media, fans, etc. But we need to start with something that people can see.
                        Do they still plan on doing that?

Comment

• Question about ticket boots

I am new to this thread. How long have these booths been closed? I know they appear in the NYPL old photos of YS. Sorry to ask such a basic question.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by DiggerODell View Post
                            That is Great! A person can never be constantly sad or suffer from melancholy when reading your posts Jimmy!
                            what? A guy can't have an opinion now?

Comment

• Ticket Booths and Pods

Mary Ellen:

Welcome to YANKEE STADIUM DEMOLITION...always great to welcome a fresh perspective...I'm not the one to answer questions about the booths; a guess would be...1973? (Don't those white racing stripes look nice?)

Right now, Mary Ellen, we're trying to figure out how to stop the "rape of Yankee Stadium" which began in 1973. Any ideas?

Sparky:

Maybe we should propose preserving the pods and offer renderings of that...then the powers that be would be begging for the gate, the kiosks, and the wall!

Comment

• Hi Mary Ellen,

The ticket booths (we call them the kiosks) apparently were moved to the current site during the renovation which was completed in 1976. I provided more information about this in post #776 on the previous page.

In regard to how long they've been closed, I don't remember ever seeing them open since the renovation. If they were, it would have had to been very early on. So I think Chris is right, they would have last been open in 1973 at their former location. That would have been either Gate 4 (home plate) or Gate 6 (right field).

My guess is Gate 4, by the way. There are six kiosks now. Up to 1973, there were six at Gate 4 and eight at Gate 6. Same number at Gate 4 as now and a shorter distance away.

Regards,
                                Mark

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X