Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OllieNYY View Post
    Steiners had 'dibbs' on everything there so any other stuff from the demolition will most likely come from people trying to make a buck on eBay off of Steiners stuff they bought for a cheaper price.
    There's already one guy on Ebay selling the rail plates he bought in the Steiner auction.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
      nyc owned the building and control the site, yanks had nothing to do with what's happening.
      it's the friendly mayor-for-life who's responsible...
      Nah, that's not right either - if the Yankees hasn't demanded a new stadium, the city would never have made the horrendous deal it did. So it was a partnership in destruction. And, of course, the Mayor-for-life is from Boston - no accident, that....
      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
        Nah, that's not right either - if the Yankees hasn't demanded a new stadium, the city would never have made the horrendous deal it did. So it was a partnership in destruction. And, of course, the Mayor-for-life is from Boston - no accident, that....
        And of course, one must also mention (in fairness after all) that the NY Mets pulled the same thing with NYC in regards to Shea Stadium. And the Mayor for life was all too ready to do whatever they wanted, certainly no accident.

It remains to be seen what the mayor for life does for the Mets in regards to the chop shops.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbyb26 View Post
          The new stadium has not grown on me like I thought it would. No matter how good my seats are, I still feel miles away from the game. The information SUPER DUPER SCORE BOARD PARTY is so distracting in center field, by the time I realize what stat Im looking at, the at bat is over. I miss the 70's animation on the old info board!
          I'm with you, Robby26. I desperately wanted to like the stadium since my favorite team plays there, but I just can't bring myself to appreciate the architecture of it. Some of the choices the architects made regarding deck placement and grandstand angles cannot be fixed. I don't get those "butterfiles-in-my-stomach" feelings that I did from the old Stadium when sitting and looking around, and I don't find it pleasing to the eye on TV any longer.
          sigpic

Comment

• Finally made it back to the site Thursday after work... since there's no more demolition going on, I guess it's more fitting and proper to post my pictures in the "Heritage Field (Old Yankee Stadium site)" thread... so from a photographic standpoint I'll say farewell to this thread with one last image... but first, a quote to set it up...

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
            My 138 G-J plate arrived yesterday. I'd post a picture of it but I want to wait and take it with me the next time I go up to the site to see if I can create an "art" shot of it.
            And that's exactly what I did... here's an "art" view of my BOX 138 G-J plate as it returns to the Bronx for one last visit, with Gate 2 in the background... Gate 2 was the closest entry point to Box 138, hence its relevance...

And for those of you who may have forgotten, here's another shot of the plate in its original form (don't worry, it's not the exact same photo I posted a couple of days ago)...

(Photo taken August 30, 2006. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Gary, great pictures as always, I really like them. Clever how you did that first one.

Here is a simple scan of my rail plate:

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 07-03-2010, 04:37 AM.
              I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

• Great photos guys! Glad y'all happy with your signs!
                Huge Yankees & Mike Mussina Fan

Check Out My Youtube Channel For More Of My Yankees Collection

Check Out My MLB 2K11 Yankees Franchise

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                  I'm with you, Robby26. I desperately wanted to like the stadium since my favorite team plays there, but I just can't bring myself to appreciate the architecture of it
                  I really hate the new stadium. I find it particularly galling that they stuffed a restaurant in the middle of the bleachers, with almost a blatant, intentional disregard for the fans whose views had been displaced. It's made me re-evaluate my relationship to teams like the Mets and Red Sox. The Mets new stadium isn't perfect, but where it caters to the rich, such as the blocked out view behind home plate, it compensates in other ways. Nowhere do they demonstrate disrespect towards patrons. And as for the Red Sox, they've been lucky enough to preserve their team's heritage, and a might fine ballpark it is. It doesn't have the grandeur of the old Yankee Stadium, the elegance, but it has the authenticity of a real baseball park, and it's democratic in that no matter what seat you buy, it looks like any other.

Comment

• Originally posted by gbittar View Post
                    I really hate the new stadium. I find it particularly galling that they stuffed a restaurant in the middle of the bleachers, with almost a blatant, intentional disregard for the fans whose views had been displaced. It's made me re-evaluate my relationship to teams like the Mets and Red Sox. The Mets new stadium isn't perfect, but where it caters to the rich, such as the blocked out view behind home plate, it compensates in other ways. Nowhere do they demonstrate disrespect towards patrons. And as for the Red Sox, they've been lucky enough to preserve their team's heritage, and a might fine ballpark it is. It doesn't have the grandeur of the old Yankee Stadium, the elegance, but it has the authenticity of a real baseball park, and it's democratic in that no matter what seat you buy, it looks like any other.
                    You are a sad, failure of a baseball fan.
                    sigpic

Comment

So I suppose this seat...

looks exactly like these seats...

Gimme a break...

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
                        You are a sad, failure of a baseball fan.
                        Post of the week.
                        Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

Comment

I really hate the new stadium. I find it particularly galling that they stuffed a restaurant in the middle of the bleachers, with almost a blatant, intentional disregard for the fans whose views had been displaced. It's made me re-evaluate my relationship to teams like the Mets and Red Sox. The Mets new stadium isn't perfect, but where it caters to the rich, such as the blocked out view behind home plate, it compensates in other ways. Nowhere do they demonstrate disrespect towards patrons.
                          My feelings towards Fake Yankee Stadium Fail are well known, but I have to say that you're wrong in saying that "Nowhere do [the Mets] demonstrate disrespect towards patrons" when it comes to Citi Field. The use of platforms instead of portals to access the upper level seating is a case in point, and to prove it, I'd like to present into evidence this photograph of the great R.A. Dickey pitching to Detroit's Brandon Inge in the top of the 4th inning on June 23rd of this year... at least, you'll have to take my word for it that it is the great R.A. Dickey on the mound, because you sure as H-E double hockey sticks can't actually see the great R.A. Dickey in this view from Promenade Reserved 504, row 1, seat 2...

(Photo taken June 23, 2010. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
                          X
                          What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

• I think that pretty much every new ballpark has obstructed views somewhere...

Comment

• Originally posted by darbypitcher22 View Post
                              I think that pretty much every new ballpark has obstructed views somewhere...

I agree...
                              You could be a "fake stadium fail" *******, with just about any new ballpark, if you so chose..
                              "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by DN4L View Post
                                I agree...
                                You could be a "fake stadium fail" *******, with just about any new ballpark, if you so chose..
                                The New York Mets have never claimed that the great moments in their history, honored in their spectacular new Hall of Fame and Museum, took place within the confines of the Citi Field stadium. Whatever its flaws, Citi Field is not a Fake Shea Stadium.
                                X
                                What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X