Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    No, this is incorrect and a common misperception. There was only one, original Yankee Stadium - the House That Ruth Built - on one site, despite alterations over the years. Just as there is only one U.S. Capitol and one White House, each on their original foundations and sitings, despite heavy alterations throughout history. But unike the American people, the Yankee corporation in partnership with politicians of the day decided to throw it all away on a new building across the street on an entirely different site, with a different basic shape, different site lines and zero history whatsoever. You don't have to hate the new building (it's pretty good despite obvious faults) to despise this short-term, money-grubbing, ignorant, history-bashing decision...
    I was watching Mike Francesa yesterday and someone called up claiming that present day Yankee Stadium was a band box. He hung up on the caller and a replied was Yankee Stadium a bandbox when Mickey Mantle played?

I'm really getting annoyed at how the Yankee organization and media is trying to brainwash people into believing that this Yankee Stadium is the original Yankee Stadium.

I don't care how many JiM Beams you have.....Derek Jeter speaking about Reggies three home runs and Larsen's Perfect game while panning the new Stadium aint going to change the fact that New Yankee Stadium is a new building with no link to the original.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
      I was watching Mike Francesa yesterday and someone called up claiming that present day Yankee Stadium was a band box. He hung up on the caller and a replied was Yankee Stadium a bandbox when Mickey Mantle played?

I'm really getting annoyed at how the Yankee organization and media is trying to brainwash people into believing that this Yankee Stadium is the original Yankee Stadium.

I don't care how many JiM Beams you have.....Derek Jeter speaking about Reggies three home runs and Larsen's Perfect game while panning the new Stadium aint going to change the fact that New Yankee Stadium is a new building with no link to the original.
      You totally misrepresented that call...the caller said the yanks have an advantage because the stadium's dimensions down the line were too short, he that 317ft (we all know its 314) was too short and that his girls softball team could hit it out there. mike then made a comment about the old stadium and asked if that was too short (296ft) the caller then went on the say that 95% of homeruns are hit off the foul poll and then mike had enough and hung up. i think francesa knows its a different ballpark...he was just making a point that the yankees always had a short porch. just trying to keep it accurate.

Comment

There was only one, original Yankee Stadium - the House That Ruth Built - on one site, despite alterations over the years. Just as there is only one U.S. Capitol and one White House, each on their original foundations and sitings, despite heavy alterations throughout history. But unike the American people, the Yankee corporation in partnership with politicians of the day decided to throw it all away on a new building across the street on an entirely different site, with a different basic shape, different site lines and zero history whatsoever. You don't have to hate the new building (it's pretty good despite obvious faults) to despise this short-term, money-grubbing, ignorant, history-bashing decision...
        Gary Dunaier likes this.

Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
        I'm really getting annoyed at how the Yankee organization and media is trying to brainwash people into believing that this Yankee Stadium is the original Yankee Stadium . . . . . Derek Jeter speaking about Reggies three home runs and Larsen's Perfect game while panning the new Stadium aint going to change the fact that New Yankee Stadium is a new building with no link to the original.
        Gary Dunaier likes this.
        X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

No, this is incorrect and a common misperception. There was only one, original Yankee Stadium - the House That Ruth Built - on one site, despite alterations over the years. Just as there is only one U.S. Capitol and one White House, each on their original foundations and sitings, despite heavy alterations throughout history. But unike the American people, the Yankee corporation in partnership with politicians of the day decided to throw it all away on a new building across the street on an entirely different site, with a different basic shape, different site lines and zero history whatsoever. You don't have to hate the new building (it's pretty good despite obvious faults) to despise this short-term, money-grubbing, ignorant, history-bashing decision...
          Actually, there have been two White Houses. The original was burned down in the War of 1812.

And I believe shane was being sarcastic mocking the people who say the Pre-Renovated OYS and Renovated OYS were two different stadiums.
          Last edited by quagmire; 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by quagmire View Post
            Actually, there have been two White Houses. The original was burned down in the War of 1812.

And I believe shane was being sarcastic mocking the peo ple who say the Pre-Renovated OYS and Renovated OYS were two different stadiums.
            Depending on how you look at it there was an OWH, NWH, and RWH. OWH was 1800-1814, NWH was 1817-1948, and RWH is 1948-present.

Cause I think this counts as a renovation. Just a little:

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
              Depending on how you look at it there was an OWH, NWH, and RWH. OWH was 1800-1814, NWH was 1817-1948, and RWH is 1948-present.

Cause I think this counts as a renovation. Just a little:

You're making my point for me. Yes there have been many renovations and expansions to the White House - but the exterior walls of the original Executive Mansion are still there, and it's on the same footprint at the same address, in the same shape. It's the White House just as it was for John Adams. The same cannot be said - sadly, tragically, disgracefully - for "Yankee Stadium." It's gone forever.
              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda
                Yes, I agree. Every president since 1817 has stayed in that building. But the original burned to the ground in 1814, so they're two different buildings. Also, Yankee Stadium's demolition is sad and disgraceful, but not really tragic.

Vietnam was tragic.

9/11 was tragic.

Hurricane Katrina was tragic.

The Oil Spill is tragic.

This was not tragic:
                From a life and death standpoint, you are absolutely correct. But, from a baseball and Yankees history standpoint, it is unequivocally tragic. As far as I am concerned, the 2009-present Yankees team has little to do with all the great teams of the past. Yes, they share the same name. And yes, they share the same uniforms that were created in the 70's, but that is it.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ncyankeefan View Post
                  You totally misrepresented that call...the caller said the yanks have an advantage because the stadium's dimensions down the line were too short, he that 317ft (we all know its 314) was too short and that his girls softball team could hit it out there. mike then made a comment about the old stadium and asked if that was too short (296ft) the caller then went on the say that 95% of homeruns are hit off the foul poll and then mike had enough and hung up. i think francesa knows its a different ballpark...he was just making a point that the yankees always had a short porch. just trying to keep it accurate.
                  The caller did mention the fact that the majority of Home runs hit at Yankee Stadium are down the line at the end of the call, however that wasn't his point when he first called saying that the Yankees have a clear advantage playing in that ballpark. The power alley in rightfield at new Yankee Stadium does not match the original dimensions of Old Yankee Stadium.

Mike implied that the Yankees still play in the same ballpark and the average fan might fall for such nonsense.
                  Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

, with a different basic shape, different site lines and zero history whatsoever. ...
                    Hmm. i beg to differ. History was already made in the new Ball park and 40 years down the line the youth who enjoyed going to the new stadium and enjoyed seeing Yankee baseball through the years there and saw even more championships may beg to differ with you as well.. Some people really need to move on..

Comment

• The Yankees dont have an advantage with the short right field porch, its the same distance when both teams are at bat, it doesnt move in and out like the old right field wall in Oakland created by Charley Finley.

Besides, if you watch a lot of Yankee games, and i watch every single one since i have the Major Leagues Extra Innings Package and a second tv in my den, you will notice that while last year a ton of homers just barely made it into the first or second row of right field, this year thats hardly happening. Most homers to right field are going deeper, many rows in, except for the few that go right down the line. I dont know why, but the homers to right this year are mostly longer shots than the ones i was seeing last year, particularly at the beginning of last year.
                      I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

• Seriously, folks, the comparisons of O/R/YS demo to 9/11 or the Gulf spill must stop now! Comparing the YS demo to Penn Station or even to your favorite bar being knocked down to widen a street is a faaaar more rational comparison than to a national tragedy or oil drilling incompetence. Let's get this thread back on course.
                        RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                          Seriously, folks, the comparisons of O/R/YS demo to 9/11 or the Gulf spill must stop now! Comparing the YS demo to Penn Station or even to your favorite bar being knocked down to widen a street is a faaaar more rational comparison than to a national tragedy or oil drilling incompetence. Let's get this thread back on course.
                          Better yet, if there isn't anything left to report from the site, just shut it down. No one is going to be swayed from their positions at this point, and it only serves to further annoy those of us who would like to see the Yankees, Mets, *and* Sawx disappear down that Guatemalan sinkhole.

Comment

• I know.
                            I had my scarcasm switch fully engaged.
                            As I have said many times, to me it was just' Yankee Stadium'

Originally posted by Strawman View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by ncyankeefan View Post
                              That's how I interpreted it even before reading your reply. I'm quickly losing patience with the idea that anyone is trying to fool people into thinking it's the same Yankee Stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
                                Luckily Truman was still able to run the country from Shea Stadium...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X