No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody bother to ask the people who live in the South Bronx what THEY want done with the site?

Comment

• When Bleacher tickets were general admission, they used to sell them in the old ticket booths. I used to go there to avoid the line. After 9/11, when they closed the booths under the escalator towers for security checks, I believe they also stopped using the old ones by gate 2.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by dpcv8 View Post
        Anybody bother to ask the people who live in the South Bronx what THEY want done with the site?
        The goal of any preservation scenarios we would present is to have zero impact on the recreation facilities.

Comment

• [QUOTE=SparkyL;1479180]What we need is someone who can produce some renderings like these with the gate in place . . . . to the architects on this board, any volunteers?

I agree with the above. A rendering of what we are proposing will bring it alive to those who aren't so familiar with this concept as we are. Unfortunately, I'm not one of the architects.

I do believe that we need to coordinate our efforts, however. Yes, we should contact key people using the media, but which key people? What media outlets? Do we have a consensus on what we would actually propose? There are many questions to answer and we're running out of time.

If this has a chance to succeed, we need a more focused approach. A lot of you have done excellent things like Sparky's draft proposal, Chris calling the HOF and Mickey Mantle's, or sharing your great ideas here. If we organize, we can do all these kinds of things quickly and simultaneously rather than scattershot. Then when a proposal is ready to go, it could be presented by our group (by the name of, say, "The Yankee Stadium Heritage Committee"). I think this would get us more attention than a proposal from just one or two of us.

Yesterday, I suggested the possibility of meeting. That I didn't get an overwhelming response is understandable. We all have busy lives. I know I do and many of you don't even live near New York. Maybe, a conference call might be possible instead. It could be a good way for us to bounce ideas off each other, agree on some priorities, divvy up tasks, and then fan out and get it done. At some point, going off-line from this forum would probably be necessary.

Well, these are my thoughts. But in any case, whatever we agree upon, I am IN. Even if it comes down to chipping in for a kiosk!

Regards,
          Mark

Comment

• [QUOTE=mackenzie;1479805]
            Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
            What we need is someone who can produce some renderings like these with the gate in place . . . . to the architects on this board, any volunteers?

I agree with the above. A rendering of what we are proposing will bring it alive to those who aren't so familiar with this concept as we are. Unfortunately, I'm not one of the architects.

I do believe that we need to coordinate our efforts, however. Yes, we should contact key people using the media, but which key people? What media outlets? Do we have a consensus on what we would actually propose? There are many questions to answer and we're running out of time.

If this has a chance to succeed, we need a more focused approach. A lot of you have done excellent things like Sparky's draft proposal, Chris calling the HOF and Mickey Mantle's, or sharing your great ideas here. If we organize, we can do all these kinds of things quickly and simultaneously rather than scattershot. Then when a proposal is ready to go, it could be presented by our group (by the name of, say, "The Yankee Stadium Heritage Committee"). I think this would get us more attention than a proposal from just one or two of us.

Yesterday, I suggested the possibility of meeting. That I didn't get an overwhelming response is understandable. We all have busy lives. I know I do and many of you don't even live near New York. Maybe, a conference call might be possible instead. It could be a good way for us to bounce ideas off each other, agree on some priorities, divvy up tasks, and then fan out and get it done. At some point, going off-line from this forum would probably be necessary.

Well, these are my thoughts. But in any case, whatever we agree upon, I am IN. Even if it comes down to chipping in for a kiosk!

Regards,
            Mark
            Conference call is the best way to get things started . . . Mark, can you set one up . . . I have time tomorrow night (EST) . . . private msg for the #.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
              what? A guy can't have an opinion now?
              Oh by all means . . . all I was meaning is I always get a kick out of your posts. Opionionate away! Go into it with that ole David Brinckley attitute . . . "thats my opinion and your entitled to it" . . . ha!

Comment

• Originally posted by mackenzie View Post
                Hi Mary Ellen,

The ticket booths (we call them the kiosks) apparently were moved to the current site during the renovation which was completed in 1976. I provided more information about this in post #776 on the previous page.

In regard to how long they've been closed, I don't remember ever seeing them open since the renovation. If they were, it would have had to been very early on. So I think Chris is right, they would have last been open in 1973 at their former location. That would have been either Gate 4 (home plate) or Gate 6 (right field).

My guess is Gate 4, by the way. There are six kiosks now. Up to 1973, there were six at Gate 4 and eight at Gate 6. Same number at Gate 4 as now and a shorter distance away.

Regards,
                Mark
                Originally posted by mackenzie View Post
                Well all right, that's the spirit!

Speaking of the kiosks, I found something pretty interesting. Something I hadn’t previously realized. I was going through my pictures to see when the kiosks showed up by Gate 2 as I had posted "1923/1928?" earlier today with regard to their age. So I checked beginning with 1923. Nothing early on. No kiosks by 1928. Then I found the photo posted below taken in 1937 during the RF grandstand construction. Still no kiosks! They never got there even by the '60s.

Sooo, it looks to me like they were moved from either Gates 4 or 6 to their current location during the renovation. As we know, those gates got the "pods" that we all hate and they rendered the kiosks redundant as the tickets booths were moved under the "pods". Gate 2 remained relatively unchanged (or less changed) as the escalators in that area were set within the stadium footprint.

Does anyone recall these kiosks being relocated? I counted them tonight. There were eight opposite Gate 6, six at Gate 4, and the two smaller ones up against the stadium wall between these two gates. I think that there's five or six now near Gate 2.

I'm quite sure that these kiosks are original and pre-date the renovation as they look old and looked old in 1976. I think the roofs may have been replaced at that point, though. I do remember thinking this at the time. Also, I recall reading something during the renovation about the kiosks being saved.

Mike Wagner (if you read this): is this something that you've covered in your YS renovation book?

In any case, even if relocated, these kiosks are historic. I believe that all of the Gates 4 and 6 kiosks date back to 1923, by the way. So let's SAVE 'em!!!

Regards,
                Mark
                Hello mackenzie and Mary Ellen,

(Re: mackenzie's post #776)

The kiosks at RYS are only simplified recreations. Until the 1973 renovation there were never ticket booths in the vicinity of Gate 2 nor its pre-1928 incarnation as an open air grandstand. The only two existing originals I know of are on display at the Smithsonian in DC and at the Hall of Fame in the Ballparks exhibit.

Further proof is seen on page 46 of the 1976 Yankee Yearbook's Special Section on The Making of the Stadium:

A picture in the yearbook shows two of the new booths (painted in a dull red) with the description, "the flavor of the old days is retained by the vintage looking ticket booths.."

As far as actual historical significance to the original Stadium, these booths have no value. For sentimental reasons in conjunction with restoring the "original" pre-1976 look of Gate 2, however, they would worth retaining.

Further evidence has just been posted by DGDGBD on the YS Renovation 1973-1976 thread showing the blueprints:

Dennis
                BrooklynDodger14
                Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 04-01-2009, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dpcv8 View Post
                  Anybody bother to ask the people who live in the South Bronx what THEY want done with the site?
                  Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                  The goal of any preservation scenarios we would present is to have zero impact on the recreation facilities.
                  I think that this is a good question, and I agree with Sparky's answer. I believe that it was the neighborhood's concern about the loss of parkland for these 4-5 years and the fact that park acreage will be more scattered than previously resulted in the change in plans for Heritage Park away from retaining portions of the old stadium.

Any successful proposal, especially at this late date, would have to (1) involve minimal impact to the park area, and (2) cost as little as possible, IMO. I also believe that it would be best to bring the neighborhood groups/people into this process early on.

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
                    Hello mackenzie and Mary Ellen,

(Re: mackenzie's post #776)

The kiosks at RYS are only simplified recreations. Until the 1973 renovation there were never ticket booths in the vicinity of Gate 2 nor its pre-1928 incarnation as an open air grandstand. The only two existing originals I know of are on display at the Smithsonian in DC and at the Hall of Fame in the Ballparks exhibit.

Further proof is seen on page 46 of the 1976 Yankee Yearbook's Special Section on The Making of the Stadium:

A picture in the yearbook shows two of the new booths (painted in a dull red) with the description, "the flavor of the old days is retained by the vintage looking ticket booths.."

As far as actual historical significance to the original Stadium, these booths have no value. For sentimental reasons in conjunction with restoring the "original" pre-1976 look of Gate 2, however, they would worth retaining.

Further evidence has just been posted by DGDGBD on the YS Renovation 1973-1976 thread showing the blueprints:
                    Dennis
                    BrooklynDodger14
                    Ouch!! Boy, I got that wrong. My fault; should have looked closer. You're definitely right about this, BrooklynDodger. I went back and looked at my old photos and have posted two of them. One each from Gates 4 and 6. The differences between the old kiosks and the existing versions posted above are clear.

Guess you learn something every day! Thanks for clearing this up.

Regards,
                    Mark
                    Attached Files

Comment

• [QUOTE=SparkyL;1479808]
                      Originally posted by mackenzie View Post

Conference call is the best way to get things started . . . Mark, can you set one up . . . I have time tomorrow night (EST) . . . private msg for the #.
                      Just noticed this post. I missed it earlier with the old/new kiosk posts in between!

Yes, I can set up a conference call for tomorrow night. Anyone interested in calling in, send me a private message.

Comment

• These ticket booths have been used for most of the last 30 years. From 1976 up until the Yankees first eclipsed the 3 million mark in 1999 the Yankees had a small season ticket subscriber base, and whenever the Yankees were expecting a big walk-up crowd which would create long lines at the box office the Yankees would sell tickets at all of these ticket booths.

I remember one day the Yankees played the Tigers on June 30th, 1993, an afternoon day game and 20,000 thousand fans bought tickets at the main ticket window and all those little ticket booths. This created huge lines and the ticket booths helped. (I'm surprised none of these Yankee Stadium experts knew this.) These were the days when you could walk up and be guaranteed a ticket to a game. It wasn't until 2000 when the Yankees for the most part stopped using the ticket booths because most tickets were purchased via advanced sale and at this point walk up sales decreased because of the increase in season tickets and ticketmaster sales throughout the winter.

Comment

• "I am IN" as well!

Mark and Sparky:

Being relatively new at this, how do I send a private message?

P.S. I can only think of one thing to say about the kiosks...I'll be damned!

Comment

• Here's a quick photoshop of something I think would look good. This is gate 2, across from the new stadium.

Last edited by Pinstripes; 04-01-2009, 11:46 PM.
                            New York Yankees
                            New York Rangers
                            New York Giants

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinstripes View Post
                              Here's a quick photoshop of something I think would look good. This is gate 2, across from the new stadium.

Wow that looks nice...GREAT JOB!...
                              I do think though, that more of the walls running from thir to first should be preserved as well... Could you take a try at that? No upperdeck, of course
                              Again, that looks really sharp

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinstripes View Post
                                Here's a quick photoshop of something I think would look good. This is gate 2, across from the new stadium.

Nice job. I just wonder if it is structurally possible and also what would the reverse side of the entrance look like. To make this possible, it would have to be at minimum costs

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X