Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
    IMO, within 10 years, that moat will be gone. Notwithsatanding the fact that it looks bad on TV, when you start hearing little old ladies on the bus deriding "the moat", then it's reaching critical mass. With economic disparities likely to only widen in the years ahead (for any number of reasons), I just don't see the media relenting on this, especially when so many of the lower seats are empty.
    Some non-rhetorical questions (I don't have a TV, so I'm not hep): Do little old ladies on the bus truly deride the moat? Do the media actually denounce this, rather than defer to their corporate masters?
    But it will probably be more internal than public pressure that will change the configuration. The empty seats are a corporate embarrassment for the whole Yankee brand that will have to be fixed eventually. That probably means the Yanks will exploit revenue sources that aren't so obvious to the casual blue collar fan 81 days a year.
    Not to echo Paul W levels of cynicism, but I'm not so sure that the corporate owners aren't immune from embarassment as far as blue collar fans are concerned. Why wouldn't they be confident that they can write heir own narrative of reality? Can cries about the emperor having no clothes even resonate anymore?

Comment

• I am definitely getting the feeling it was too short. Less than 20 minutes left and we are getting to the structure demo. I know they were kicked out by the time Gate 2 fell, but still.... A lot to cover in only 20 minutes.....

Yeah, that was waay to short. Wished they covered the Gate 2 story.....
      Last edited by quagmire; 04-28-2011, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by quagmire View Post
        I am definitely getting the feeling it was too short. Less than 20 minutes left and we are getting to the structure demo. I know they were kicked out by the time Gate 2 fell, but still.... A lot to cover in only 20 minutes.....

Yeah, that was waay to short. Wished they covered the Gate 2 story.....
        NatGeo was still on site the day Gate 2 was demolished. Three of us were interviewed and filmed in front of Gate 2 an hour or two before it's demolition. I believe the cameramans name was Yuri and I have seen him interviewed on other NatGeo programs. He was on site and photographed by Gary D after Gate 2 was demolished and can be seen in the posted image.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 04-29-2011, 04:52 AM.
        Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Damn! Between the Yankee game last night, and the NFL draft, I forgot all about the National Geographic special..
          Does anybody know of any repeat telecasts?
          "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Dear DN4L,

Go on the National Geographic website for their TV schedule. I also thought a 2 hour program would have been better, as I thought a lot more of the bowels of the Stadium being shown would have been great for everyone to see. I also hoped the fight to save Gate 2 would have been brought up.

Comment

• Thanks for the info, Mike..
              "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

• Show times were:

Thursday April 28 2011 10PM ------- PAST
                Friday April 29 2011 1 AM ------- PAST

Last time shown:

Thursday May 5 2011 6 PM
                Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Originally posted by J.E.Fullerton View Post
                  Some non-rhetorical questions (I don't have a TV, so I'm not hep): Do little old ladies on the bus truly deride the moat?
                  I don't know about little old ladies en masse, just one little old lady on a bus in Hoboken NJ

Not to echo Paul W levels of cynicism, but I'm not so sure that the corporate owners aren't immune from embarassment as far as blue collar fans are concerned. Why wouldn't they be confident that they can write heir own narrative of reality? Can cries about the emperor having no clothes even resonate anymore?
                  There are many more empty seats in other cities, including blue collar cities like Pittsburgh and Cleveland. But the cries about them have been more focused on the product on the field (i.e. Pittsburgh) or subpar stadiums (Tampa). In contrast, the Yanks are the league's marqee team, playing in a new $1.5 billion stadium in the largest market, and they're challenging for the division every year. All those empty seats are indeed a corporate embarassment, as well as a head shaker to many Yankee fans. Yankee fans won't admit it, but there is some envy watching the Red Sox play the A's at Fenway on a cool misty April night and seeing all the downstairs seats full. Having to justify the YS empty seats to Red Sox fans is frustrating, especially in my case when I have to see them everyday.:disgruntled:

Comment

• Nothing has to be justified to Boston fans, Fenway is a smaller park. Besides, the Yankees and their stadium are superior.
                    I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

• Old Yankee Stadium Grass Ain't Greener On The Other Side

Wednesday, April 27 2011 4:50 PM
                      Written by: Steve Henson

Millions of rabid New York Yankees fans, many with overstuffed bank accounts and outsized fine-trimmed lawns, and not a one has sprung for a prized piece of memorabilia that would turn a front yard into the coolest ballyard on the block.

The 20-by-20-foot section of turf behind home plate at the old Yankee Stadium, spray-painted with the interlocking white "NY", was considered so precious by the team and memorabilia partner Steiner Sports that after the stadium was demolished two years ago it was covertly transplanted to the premises of DeLea Sod Farms on Long Island.

"It's kept at a top-secret location separate from the rest of the stadium grass," says Jim DeLea, the company's owner. "Everybody was worried that an overzealous Yankee fan might go looking for it."

The Yankees might have overestimated the zealotry. The turf is still there, unsold, and sod shoppers walk past it daily, oblivious to its purported value because grass grows and the spray paint has long since been mowed. The same goes for at least half the 100,000 square feet of stadium sod put up for sale in one-square-foot, $120 pieces, the price point of a new pair of top-drawer sneakers. It's tended to by DeLea, who admits, "It's no longer the blades of grass A-Rod ran across."

The rest of the article can be found here.
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?
                      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• That's a point I hadn't considered....the grass, if maintained would have kept growing and the NY logo paint would have a short life. I had other reservations. Even if I had the $$ and the land for the sod, I would have balked because if it was anything like the new sod I planted in my backyard, it would be dead within a few months. It seems no matter your level of competence with grass maintenance, either way you lose. Unless you're content with YS dirt.

Comment

• I am still disgusted at the prices they are charging for stadium artifacts.

$1000 for a no smoking sign, $750 for a refreshments sign, $3000 for a POS old CRT TV, etc.

I want to buy something from the stadium, but the prices are not worth it. The only worth while item I see is a Mariano Rivera signed seat back. Everything else I am paying $100-$150 just for nostalgia.......

Comment

• [QUOTE=Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock;1879547...within 10 years, that moat will be gone...[/QUOTE]

not if players $aleries keep rising at present levels and the federal/state tax codes don't change regarding sports tix as business expense write-offs. the nyy don't care if those seats appear empty as long as they are paid for, no matter what noise is made about them.
                            the turd in the punchbowl
                            reality really sucks.
                            enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by J.E.Fullerton View Post
                              i'm realistic, not cynical. unless the empty seats have signs attached to show who bought those locations they can keep on getting their tax write-offs for those "empty" seats without "embarrassment". that's the only reason for corporations to purchase those seat locations, not because large corporations are baseball fans.
                              want to "embarrass" them? take out an ad in the ny papers and print the co. names and their locations.
                              reality really sucks.
                              enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
                                That's a point I hadn't considered....the grass, if maintained would have kept growing and the NY logo paint would have a short life...
                                the paint/chalk would "grow out" as the grass blades were cut and rain would have washed out more of it thru the soil.
                                anyone who would buy this is exactly what barnum talked about.
                                reality really sucks.
                                enjoy the game more...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X