Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yankees650B View Post
    i know this is very rough, but i just drew it up quick. they should do something like at tiger stadium preserve dugout to dugout.
    Yankees650B:

Now that's what we call "aiming high!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinstripes View Post
      Stereotypes now? You better be careful with those. You don't have to be a born and bred New Yorker who's comfortable on the streets to be a Yankee fan, nor should anyone feel intimidated out of going to a game. I know a lot of seriously die hard Yankee fans who have been wary of trips to Yankee Stadium because of the neighborhood around it. Wanting to feel comfortable walking down the street isn't a crime.

Of all the stadiums I've been to, the neighborhood around Yankee Stadium is by far the least inviting. I'm not suggesting its dangerous, but it's just not a family atmosphere compared to many other ballparks.
      The area around YS now is so MUCH better than it was around 1972. Back then the Yanks failed to draw a million, and the place was a shambles. The area now is not as bad as people think. Certainly not as bad as when I went to Tiger Stadium years ago; I was actually nervous befroe, during , and after the game. I know Tiger fans may disagree (and I also felt right at home at Comiskey) but that was the worst city I have ever visited. Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
        I know Tiger fans may disagree (and I also felt right at home at Comiskey) but that was the worst city I have ever visited. Yikes.
        No, that's about right.

Although, I've been more frightened in Memphis than I ever have been in Detroit.
        Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
          I live in Waterbury (New Haven County). I've noticed in my city, along with surrounding towns and any place heading towards the New York border, Yankee fans out number Red Sox fans. Obviously I have no statistics to prove it, I'm just going by Yankee gear vs Red Sox gear that I see people wear, and whenever I watch games at local bars. North of here though (heading towards Hartford) is a different story.

I did come across this article from the NY Times. I believe I read one in 2003(?) where the Yankees were tops. I'm guessing the bandwagoners hold the swing vote.
          Waterbury??? Well I don't necessarily know if I can rely on your assessment of a county you don't seem to live in(Fairfield Co). I live HERE so my previous reply is based on observations from living here.

That said, 3783, it sounds like you're really living in the thick of it, Sox-wise. And I understand - NH county is a *little* closer to Boston.

I've always believed in rooting for the home team(s) - and that goes for anyone within 50-aught miles of a specific major sport franchise. Most of Fairfield County is within 60 miles of TWO great such franchises of baseball, and yet most of Fairfield Co are fans of a team over 200 miles away. Go figyeh!?! :hissyfit:
          RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

Here's a quick photoshop of something I think would look good. This is gate 2, across from the new stadium.

Bingo . . . this is exactly what I had in mind!!!!

Comment

• They should leave a piece.

Afterall, once they ditch NYS in 50 years and are looking to build a new stadium on the old spot, it would be nice to incorporate a piece of the original ballpark in the new stadium :P

Comment

Here's a quick photoshop of something I think would look good. This is gate 2, across from the new stadium.

For the reverse sido of the wall, how 'bout a cool looking mural or something. Something that would fit into the landscape and not take away from the "ambiance" of Heritage Park.
                sigpic

Comment

• Im goin to the game tomrro, boy i hope they didnt block the whole stadium off. Im dying to get a paint chip or two, ive already gotten the blue wall padding that ive peeled off.

Comment

• Originally posted by The House That Ruth Built View Post
                    For the reverse sido of the wall, how 'bout a cool looking mural or something. Something that would fit into the landscape and not take away from the "ambiance" of Heritage Park.
                    As a reminder, here's the inside of Gate 2 as it appeared about a week before the final game...

(Photo taken September 15, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
                    X
                    What's THAT guy doing?
                    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                      As a reminder, here's the inside of Gate 2 as it appeared about a week before the final game...

(Photo taken September 15, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
                      To keep that Gate 2 wall they would have to leave some of those inner support columns. There would probably have to be more supports put in place to brace the wall as well. This is where costs factor in. Who pays for that type of expenditure? Do the Yankees want to donate? The city proabably won't go for it alone. It sure would be nice to have baseball's most historic cathedral memorialized in this manner. A quick concerted effort has to get going in order to have any chance of it happening for real.

Comment

• Gate 2

Hey, Pinstripes:

Once again, Bravo on a magnificent rendering. Would it be possible for you to post renderings of Gate 2 from other angles or perspectives...say, from the Bat, from atop the EL, from the rightfield foul pole, or even an aerial view?

I'd love to see the Gate from those and other vantage points. I know that's
                        alot to ask...

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

• so it begins...

courtesy BJ on picasa

Comment

• Originally posted by donut726 View Post
                            so it begins...

courtesy BJ on picasa

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees650B View Post
                              i know this is very rough, but i just drew it up quick. they should do something like at tiger stadium preserve dugout to dugout.
                              This would be a great idea and all, but.. Can you see where the grandstands are directed..? In order for that to remain, you would have to subject folks to unrealistic views.. As a part of Yankee Stadium, it was monumental in the atmosphere of the park; as also a method to increase capacity, but.. I don't know how well that would fly in relation to the future purpose of the park..

"...So the winning run is on second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson.

Little roller up along first; BEHIND THE BAG! It gets through Buckner!

Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!"

- Vin Scully, Announcer

Comment

• Wow... I really wasn't ready for that, I froze up. I'm sure it won't be as long as we think it will be now.

One thing you can be certain of though; it will be an extremely painful and grueling thing to see.

Richard

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X