Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
    Wow... I really wasn't ready for that, I froze up. I'm sure it won't be as long as we think it will be now.

One thing you can be certain of though; it will be an extremely painful and grueling thing to see.

Richard
    Rich . . . when was he last time you had your heart torn out, and it wasn't.

Comment

• Oh how true, you're definitely right on that one.

Richard

Comment

• I don't see why they can't do this during the off season...don't want to see it come down during the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by donut726 View Post
          so it begins...

That just doesn't look right, does it?

As excited I am about the new stadium, and as much as I feel the old one had run its course, it's going to be a very bitter experience watching that thing come down.

Originally posted by Astros View Post
          To keep that Gate 2 wall they would have to leave some of those inner support columns. There would probably have to be more supports put in place to brace the wall as well. This is where costs factor in. Who pays for that type of expenditure? Do the Yankees want to donate? The city proabably won't go for it alone. It sure would be nice to have baseball's most historic cathedral memorialized in this manner. A quick concerted effort has to get going in order to have any chance of it happening for real.
          I think they could feasibly preserve that entire area behind the gate 2 facade as a small, enclosed building. Maybe the city could be convinced to have it be open as a shop/cafe of some kind, or maybe just a little museum with some original artifacts? They could put a piece of the frieze in there, maybe a base or home plate, a few chairs from the stadium, along with other miscellaneous memorabilia.

What we'd really need is private invstors interested in preserving it. It's too bad none of the players have stepped up and gotten behind something like that.
          New York Yankees
          New York Rangers
          New York Giants

Comment

• This also marks that the structure is not a whole all the way around anymore. The area that was connected between the main grandstand and bleachers is no more.

I suppose the bleachers will probably be the first to go and they'll probably start at the field and work towards the street. It's only a matter of time before that last remaining section of the 1936-73 outfield wall is obliterated.

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinstripes View Post

As excited I am about the new stadium, and as much as I feel the old one had run its course, it's going to be a very bitter experience watching that thing come down.

I think they could feasibly preserve that entire area behind the gate 2 facade as a small, enclosed building. Maybe the city could be convinced to have it be open as a shop/cafe of some kind, or maybe just a little museum with some original artifacts? They could put a piece of the frieze in there, maybe a base or home plate, a few chairs from the stadium, along with other miscellaneous memorabilia.

What we'd really need is private invstors interested in preserving it. It's too bad none of the players have stepped up and gotten behind something like that.

Maybe letters could be written to players, there's still hope! Show me where I can help and I will do whatever I can!

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinstripes View Post

I love the "enclosed aspect" of what you describe? I've never considered that. I've always thought they could leave that small section of the BP and a field where the players once played . . .and actualy invent a technology (which might be already invented and I don't know about it) whereas like a museum, folks could come and rent/lease this little IPod looking thing that would show telecasts of famous plays made at the park . . . and walk around and ponder . . . of the things that occured where they stand. Lotta stuff to figure out . . .like why someone wouldn't just walk off with this technology when they are through . . . deposit . .something . .. cc # . . .I don't know, unimportant. But it would establish and reestabllish the history of the sacred grounds for generations to come.

ps: some money could be made from this . . . even if it's small change . . .small change adds up. And it would still be . . .tah dah . . A park.
                Last edited by DiggerODell; 04-02-2009, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by donut726 View Post
                  so it begins...

courtesy BJ on picasa
                  Since I started this Thread, may I be the first to say it?

Goodbye Old Girl, and Goodnight

:bowdown: :disbelief:

Comment

• In loving memory of my dad. Thank you pops, we shared many great moments here.

Comment

• :dismay::dismay::dismay::o:o:o

this is not good at all. I can't believe what I'm seeing. There really needs to be some kind of group put together (like the folks who are doing the Tiger Stadium preservation) to try to at least save a gate or even save whole pieces that can even be brought back at a later date once a realistic idea comes up.

Originally posted by donut726 View Post
                      so it begins...

courtesy BJ on picasa

Comment

• :hissyfit:

WoW.. This is REALLY happening.... I was just by there on Fri 27th. Big difference a week makes.!!

:ooo:

Comment

• Jesus christ.

The NYC Landmarks Commission should be ashamed of themselves.

This is Penn Station all over again.

Comment

• Originally posted by applenut View Post
                            Jesus christ.

The NYC Landmarks Commission should be ashamed of themselves.

This is Penn Station all over again.
                            Except they didn't build another, grander, more beautiful Penn Station to replace it, they just sank it and dumped MSG on top. Read the architect's review of the new Stadium in the NY Times: from a purely architectural view both Stadium were long overdue for demolition.

Comment

• I just don't understand why they started demo now, ESPECIALLY when the new park is opening right across the street. All fans will be forced to look at the carcass across the way being eaten up by the vultures all season. They've already delayed enough, I would have done it as the Mets and over the winter or just waited until the end of the season.

Comment

• Demolition

Good Morning, Mark, Sparky, Donut, Digger, Gary, Yankees650B, THTRB, Richard, Roasted Peanut, jerseyyankeefan, babalou, shaneslatts, Rob R, kornraging, applenut, Bomber, Astros, bronxbomber2, scooterfan, and Pinstripes (I'm just listing the folks on pages 35 and 36; those who directly addressed the "demolition")...I apologize if I missed anyone:

yankees650B: a great plan...but the reality of sacrificing "any" park land for your preservation proposal is going to meet with lots of opposition...not from
                                your colleagues at BBF, but from the "higher-ups." Detroit was lucky.

The House That Ruth Built: The "flipside" of Gate 2 was eye-opening. I had no idea.

Donut 726: Damn, the demolition is moving closer and closer to Gate 2 (and I hope they ARE beginning on the inside and moving outward).

"Where have you gone, Joe Dimaggio?" we could use you.

Regards,

Chris
                                Last edited by Chris Jones; 04-03-2009, 06:35 AM. Reason: left out some folks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X