Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quagmire
    replied
    Here is a trailer of natgeo documentary of the demo including a great shot of the upper deck removal from the upper deck concourse.

http://natgeotv.com/uk/breaking-up-t...yankee-stadium
    Last edited by quagmire; 01-01-2011, 04:12 PM. Reason: concourse not behind stringer

Leave a comment:

• The Monument
    replied
    More good stuff, maybe belongs on the Heritage Park thread.

Leave a comment:

• DN4L
    replied
    December 30, 2010..

I didn't know which thread to post these under, so I picked this one..
    These were taken before the Pinstripe Bowl yesterday..

Fake RYS demolition crane FAIL!!!
    Hahahahahahahaha!!!!
    God that sounds so stupid!

Where Gate 2 used to stand..

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Found this on the Gateway Center Mall website... no great shakes or anything like that, but I thought it might be of interest.

A larger version can be found here.

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I am totally jealous of the guy, but Steve Spak has a book of photos of the Yankee Stadium demolition available at Amazon.com.
    I have that book. It has some pretty good shots of the demolition.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    It's on London TV 12/15 and 12/16
    Mega Breakdown: Yankee Stadium
    Yankee Stadium - home to the New York Yankees for over eight decades, and host to thirty-three World Series - is about to be demolished. It's a mega job, with mega challenges. But the first task at hand is saving parts of the stadium. Everything from the seats…to the sod will be sold. When the memorabilia salvage is over, the teams get straight to work at clearing out the stadium of anything that's not part of structure. From kitchen equipment, to light bulbs, to the famous outfield facade …it's all got to go. Then, the final breakdown. With an army of mega machines, the demo teams must systematically rip and strip-out the first two-tiers of seating until the stadium's nothing but a skeleton….then pull it down. But they're working within feet of a subway system that won't stop running. There's no room for error, and the job starts now.

http://natgeotv.com/uk/breaking-up-t...yankee-stadium

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    I am totally jealous of the guy, but Steve Spak has a book of photos of the Yankee Stadium demolition available at Amazon.com.

Leave a comment:

• a-rod13
    replied
    They showed or said nothing about the gates coming down, it was like that part didnt happen, they only showed time lapse camera for the outside of the stadium, I guess they spent to much time talking about ripping up the turf or cleaning the toilets out.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    Originally posted by DN4L View Post
    Too bad Steiner Sports wasn't around back in 1973...
    Imagine what would've and could've been saved back then?
    Like the entire original frieze!!!
    Unfortunately the entire copper frieze was destroyed in the 1970's...However we still have the concrete frieze that closely resembles the original and will be displayed on the former Yankee Stadium site.

Like it or not with no remnants of a full copper frieze section known to exist... the true lasting art form of the Yankee Stadium frieze is the concrete replica from the 1970's renovation.

Leave a comment:

• dabigyankeeman
    replied
    If that thing came on NatGeo on my cable, i wouldnt watch it. Too sad.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    Originally posted by a-rod13 View Post
    it showed everything up to the upper decks coming down, they didnt show the outside of the stadium coming down, they used a camera on a distant building for that part
    Thanks for letting everyone know that National Geographic has aired the program. Hopefully we will all have a chance to view it here in the US.

Did the program mention anything concerning the demolition of Gate 2? And do you recall any interviews concerning Gate 2? Three of us were in Babe Ruth Plaza across from Gate 2 when we were interviewed by Nat Geo.

Hope all is well.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    March 31, 2010

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
    On the Nat Geo sites I found showtimes for Europe, Asia and South Africa but nothing in the US. Makes sense. Also, I don't think that they were there for the entire demo. A Turner employee told me that they were told to leave right around the middle of the job.
    I was interviewed by National Geographic along with Mark and Tom on March 31, 2010 shortly before Turner pulled down Gate 2. I believe the Cameramans name was Yuri and I did recognize him from some other shows on Nat Geo.

I have been waiting for this show to air and now I find out it has aired overseas and in Canada?

I'm going to contact Nat Geo and see if I can find any information concerning the airing of this program in the US. Fortunately I have a relative in Canada and will also contact and see If a copy can be made if the show Re-Airs.

Heres a photo of the Camerman who interviewed us back in March 2010. Thanks Gary D!

And once again thanks to the City of New York.....Mayor Bloomberg and his Deputy Mayors for tearing down the historic Yankee Stadium and consciously salvaging and incorporating pieces of the historically significant Bronx House of Detention into the Gateway Center just a few short blocks from the former Yankee Stadium site. A BIG Thank You also goes out to the Yankee organization as well. Thumbs Up Randy levine and Lonn Trost. New York Loves you!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• a-rod13
    replied
    On the Nat Geo sites I found showtimes for Europe, Asia and South Africa but nothing in the US. Makes sense. Also, I don't think that they were there for the entire demo. A Turner employee told me that they were told to leave right around the middle of the job.

it showed everything up to the upper decks coming down, they didnt show the outside of the stadium coming down, they used a camera on a distant building for that part

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    I bet it is Steinbrenner and NYC trying to hide the fact they demolished Yankee Stadium from the rest of Americans.

/conspiracy theory

Leave a comment:

• DN4L
    replied
    Originally posted by OllieNYY View Post
    Brandon Steiner is a nice guy, spent a very pleasant afternoon at Yankee Stadium with him and have been a customer of Steiner's since their partnerships with the Yankees. Yes it's not perfect but I am very appreciative to get ahold of the memorabilia they offer. I think they did a good job offering the items for sale from the old Stadium, just as MeiGrey did with Shea. Memorabilia is a big business and someone has to cater with it.

Too bad Steiner Sports wasn't around back in 1973...
    Imagine what would've and could've been saved back then?
    Like the entire original frieze!!!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X