Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by yankies4life View Post
    Heck, if you walk by the third base side of the stadium, the padded seats are all torn up.
    Another reason I never thought padded seats in an outdoor venue made sense. This is baseball, a sporting event, for crying out loud. You want padded seats go to the opera.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by curb my enthusiasm View Post


      You are clearly someone who "gets it". I agree with every word you said.
      I have to agree with both you Yankee fans, it's time for a new stadium, the crowding at the Stadium is unbearable.
      :gt:gt

      Comment


      • #78
        If only

        They could have bought a plot of old apartments about the same size as OYS and demolished them for the replacement parkland, then taken the vacated Yankee Stadium, torn most or all of the the third deck down and left most of the first deck, loge and press boxes, and then moved AAA Scranton to play in the down-sized historical park. It could have been a living museum. They could have then scheduled the AAA team to play on off days of the parent team, and kept the area constantly alive through the summer months.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by kobathecat View Post
          They could have bought a plot of old apartments about the same size as OYS and demolished them for the replacement parkland, then taken the vacated Yankee Stadium, torn most or all of the the third deck down and left most of the first deck, loge and press boxes, and then moved AAA Scranton to play in the down-sized historical park. It could have been a living museum. They could have then scheduled the AAA team to play on off days of the parent team, and kept the area constantly alive through the summer months.
          ok if they did that....................

          1. Where would the people living in the apartment buildings move?

          2. What would they do with the el? The train can't jump over holes in the tracks.

          That woulda cost the city so much money. They'd have to move the tracks for the 4 train underground, which woulda taken like 3-5 years, then the team woulda had to knock down the apartment buildings, which would possibly fill the air with asbestos, and it woulda probably taken much longer to build on that land than parkland, cause they'd have to clean the land up, and start building.

          Comment


          • #80
            I'm not sure why the el tracks would be affected by this idea. True you would have to relocate people in the condemned apartments, but it happens often, just look at Brooklyn and Atlantic Yards where they want to build a coliseum for the Nets. Also, when I say buy a block of apartments to tear down and replace the lost parkland, I am not necessarily referring to the apartments seen in the YS outfield. It could be them, but it does not have to be them.

            You are right, my idea creates a whole new set of problems, but since it ain't happening, I get to dream it any way I wish

            Comment


            • #81
              Why can't they use the same ball park as the Major league team?

              YankeesDaily

              Comment


              • #82
                Because that would eliminate the aboility to continue to use the old YS in some manner. But since that is not going to happen, you make a very good point. By having the AAA Yankees share YS, wouldn't you potentially improve the development of these players in terms of acclimating them to the environment of YS and the city? I think it would also be great to have the fans get to knwo some of the prospects better, making it even more exciting when they get called up. I think the dual-way exposure would benefit everybody.

                Another great advantage for the AAA Yanks to share NYS would be that some of the areas that are prohibitively costly for the average fan such as the lower deck between the dugouts and the concessions serving them. I would pay to see a minor league game there if I could enjoy seats I never could have access to for a MLB Yankees game. They could make it cost efficient by not opening the upper concourses. It could be first deck only on those days. This could be profitable too for the team by keeping the team stores open, funneling people into the restuarants, Soft Rock Cafe, etc.
                Last edited by kobathecat; 07-15-2008, 09:44 AM. Reason: add comments

                Comment


                • #83
                  Which area of Yankee Stadium do you think will be demolished first? Probably the bleachers? Then after that, I would imagine that they'll take the field level apart before the upper deck, just like they're doing at Tiger Stadium.

                  Also, it's going to be very weird after the season is over to see Yankee Stadium without its blue seats. Probably every single one of them (55,000+) is going to be sold.

                  I still can't believe that this grand ballpark is going to be destroyed. I'm looking forward to the new stadium as much as anybody, but because I'm only 30 years old, this is the only Yankee Stadium that I know. I wasn't around for the pre-renovated version. I guess I have Derek Jeter's point of view. He said that it will be very sad to see the old ballpark close, but it will be awesome to move into a brand new stadium.
                  Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    I doubt demolition will resemble anything like Tiger Stadium.First of all there is access to the outfield easily attained through both the left and right field corners. Secondly, Tiger Stadium was probably stripped already beyond a few odd seats. Yankee Stadium is still occupied by offices, functioning banquest rooms, club boxes, equipment, monument park, etc. All of this stuff has to be inventoried and moved across the street or to a temporary warehouse. Then the upper deck has to be handled differently because of the cantilevers, etc. I bet it ends up being a very slow process regardless of whatever schedule they may be on.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Well, however which way they choose to demolish the building, it will be very interesting to see. It will also be interesting to see how differently they handle the demolition of Shea.
                      Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by curb my enthusiasm View Post
                        Well, however which way they choose to demolish the building, it will be very interesting to see. It will also be interesting to see how differently they handle the demolition of Shea.
                        I don't know that there will be a whole lot of difference between the two, since the city owns both parks. Any substantive differences will likely be dictated by the physical differences between the structures.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Once the seats are removed the outlines of the original upper deck portals which were closed off should become apparent.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Seems to be the demolition of Shea will be more of a priority because that space will be needed for parking. And it's possible the 9/21 game may not be the last public event at Yankee Stadium after all. According to the Yankees' website:
                            Tours will be held daily through September 19, 2008, at which time they will shut down and will continue after postseason play (date to be determined).

                            (underlining added; click here to see the quote in its original context)

                            Note that it does not say the tours "may" continue or "might" continue, but "will" continue. No ambiguity here.
                            X

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                              Seems to be the demolition of Shea will be more of a priority because that space will be needed for parking. And it's possible the 9/21 game may not be the last public event at Yankee Stadium after all. According to the Yankees' website:
                              Tours will be held daily through September 19, 2008, at which time they will shut down and will continue after postseason play (date to be determined).

                              (underlining added; click here to see the quote in its original context)

                              Note that it does not say the tours "may" continue or "might" continue, but "will" continue. No ambiguity here.
                              Is it safe to assume that since the Yankees have their offices in the current stadium that they will not begin any demolition until the new stadium is ready for occupancy.Plus they have to be on the safe side and keep the park in case of any delays at the new one. Which means you may not see any demo work on the current stadium until maybe end of March or April?

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by bleacherbum73 View Post
                                Is it safe to assume that since the Yankees have their offices in the current stadium that they will not begin any demolition until the new stadium is ready for occupancy.Plus they have to be on the safe side and keep the park in case of any delays at the new one. Which means you may not see any demo work on the current stadium until maybe end of March or April?
                                That will be an awsome and terriible site to see on Opening Day 2009..an empty, seatless Yankee Stadium stripped bare with fans passing by her, entering into the New Yankee Stadium across the street....

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X