Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omissions

and Pinstripes...my apologies...and make sure you check post#866 on page 35.
    Last edited by Chris Jones; 04-03-2009, 06:31 AM.

Comment

• Hey everyone. Here is one place to start http://schumer.senate.gov/
      Good old chuck schumer. The senior senetor from NY should be held accountable for this. I do not have the phone numbers for the daily news, post and the local stations YET, but I will be surfing the net and finding them.
      Again, today is the time to start
      The WAR has begun!

Comment

• There was a thread like this last summer, with alot of posts, pro and con.
        As I have said, Polititians have been written to, conservation socities as well. BUT former sen clinton, and sen schumer did not return my email, where I reminded him that destroying this entire structure would not only be a bad mistake, and something that will be regreted, but would be unamerican as well.
        I knew that when the day came that they started ripping into the place, THAT would be the day that shock/reality would set in.

That day is here.

The question is, WHO to bring the ideas to?(sparkeys in the demolition thread is a great idea) and what kind of time frame is available.
        I honestly think that the real demolition will start right after they rip out the seats, so that means one month, maybe a little more or a little less
        The thing to keep in mind here is that
        A. The yankees want the stadium gone ASAP
        B. the polititians dont care

The only hope of saving any of this stadium is thru the media,since it is, and always will be, the media that drives the polititians. You cant go to the Yankee media alone( that would be like going thru radio havana to complain about Castro).
        If we all got together, called and flooded schumer (again) and hold him PERSONALY responible (he is the senior NY senetor, correct?) and flooded the daily news, the post, espn, and yes, the yankee offices, then MAYBE there might be a chance to save some of the historic sections of yankee stadium.
        the city has never addressed why the original walls of Yankee Stadium should not be landmarked. They have stated that the 'entire structure has been changed to the point where it lost landmark status'...ok, fine, what about the original sections of the stadium....where have they changed?
        Why is it that a 1970s apartment up the street HAS landmark status, while Yankee Stadium does not?
        You see, the city has never answered these questions, no one in the media will ask them
        In my opinion, these questions need to be asked, and answered. That and sparkeys diagram where most of the exterior wall was preserved needs to be presented as well.
        If not acted on quickly, and in force, then the entire place is doomed
        I think Mike Lupica needs to be contacted about these unanswered questions,and sparkeys plans need to be shown to him as well.(if my memory serves me, Lupica thinks the stadium should have been renovated)
        Other NY writers need to be called as well
        The WAR has Begun!

Comment

• I just fired off this letter to sen schumer

Dear Sen Schumer,
          There are many basball fans over at baseballfever .com
          We, as a group are concerned with the destruction of a NY landmark, Yankee Stadium.
          If you get a chance, could you take a look at some of the ideas that we have come up with to preserve parts of the historic 1923 sections of old Yankee Stadium
          We, as a group, will be contacting the media today.
          We, as a group, are asking for your support in our efforts to preserve part of this historic old ballbark, The House that Ruth Built, Yankee Stadium
          thank You,

Comment

• Easy access for souvenir grabbers

Comment

• As painful as it might be, anyone heading up to the new Stadium should try and get some pictures of the original facility as it's in its demolition phase.

Remember - you'll always be able to get pictures of the new Stadium... but the original Stadium's days are now numbered, so get your shots while you can.
              X
              What's THAT guy doing?
              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Mark:

I saw some scary photographs this morning.

Check your e-mail.

Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by shaneslatts View Post
                  I just fired off this letter to sen schumer

Dear Sen Schumer,
                  There are many basball fans over at baseballfever .com
                  We, as a group are concerned with the destruction of a NY landmark, Yankee Stadium.
                  If you get a chance, could you take a look at some of the ideas that we have come up with to preserve parts of the historic 1923 sections of old Yankee Stadium
                  We, as a group, will be contacting the media today.
                  We, as a group, are asking for your support in our efforts to preserve part of this historic old ballbark, The House that Ruth Built, Yankee Stadium
                  thank You,
                  Your kidding, right? A United States Senator with almost 20,000,000 constituents, over 1,300,000 in the Bronx, is going to care what 20-30 people on an internet website think about tearing down the Stadium? His Bronx voters want their trees and parks back, ASAP, and he's up for reelection in a couple of years. He'll swing the wrecking ball personally if he has to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
                    Your kidding, right? A United States Senator with almost 20,000,000 constituents, over 1,300,000 in the Bronx, is going to care what 20-30 people on an internet website think about tearing down the Stadium? His Bronx voters want their trees and parks back, ASAP, and he's up for reelection in a couple of years. He'll swing the wrecking ball personally if he has to.
                    What ever happens it would nice if large sections were preserved somewhere. Cooperstown should get one of the exterior wall segments, that would be pretty neat

Comment

• Originally posted by shaneslatts View Post
                      Hey everyone. Here is one place to start http://schumer.senate.gov/
                      Good old chuck schumer. The senior senetor from NY should be held accountable for this. I do not have the phone numbers for the daily news, post and the local stations YET, but I will be surfing the net and finding them.
                      Again, today is the time to start
                      The WAR has begun!
                      Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
                      I just don't understand why they started demo now, ESPECIALLY when the new park is opening right across the street. All fans will be forced to look at the carcass across the way being eaten up by the vultures all season. They've already delayed enough, I would have done it as the Mets and over the winter or just waited until the end of the season.
                      Jim, the reason they decided to start the demolition of yankee stadium right now could be anyones guess. BUT they obviously think that the fans and the media just dont give a damn, other then a passing sense of " oh my, thats a shame"
                      ANY chance of saving ANY part of her has to start now

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
                        I just don't understand why they started demo now, ESPECIALLY when the new park is opening right across the street. All fans will be forced to look at the carcass across the way being eaten up by the vultures all season. They've already delayed enough, I would have done it as the Mets and over the winter or just waited until the end of the season.
                        The new place is done on time, so they don't need the backup, but moreso, they're feeling emboldened. Reviews are generally good and they figure make the old place go away and a few months from now, who's going to care? They see a major success and they're anxious to move on. Also, the city is sitting on millions in parts, they can't sell them attached to an out of service structure. The logic doesn't make this any less painful though.

Comment

• I hate to see the stadium come down just like you guys, but since the process has started I hope they do it quickly. I encourge you guys to focus the same amount of effort in taking photos that you showed during the NYS construction. Since NYS is completed, it is important that we get as many pictures as we can while RYS still stands!
                          sigpic

Comment

• That idiot who called Yankee Stadium architecturally obsolete is out to lunch. These new ballparks are all the same. Citifield is a dead ringer for Comerica and Petco. Take away the cheap frieze and a few thousand extra seats the new Yankee Stadium has lot of similarities to all of HOK's ballparks.

Why didn't the Yankees and mets show some originality with these new designs? This is all so sad. They only cared about making a buck. For all you guys who love the new Yankee Stadium, have you been to the new HOK parks. Lord have mercy, they're all the same!! The second and third decks are recessed. Too much so. Dodger Stadium's decks are recessed, but nevertheless it looks like a stadium and it looks so much better!! Why, just why? Luxury boxes are our daddy.

Comment

• Lonn Trost should bring his expertise to the public sector. He should contact the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and hire HOK to design plans to demolish the George Washington Bridge. The new bridge would have a 25 dollar toll, and it would no longer have a lower level. (Luxury boxes would be added instead of having a lower level. ) Upon entrace into the luxury boxes there would be a museum, perhaps enclosed in a rotunda, where old videos of the 1980s I Love New York Commercials with Joan Rivers, Mario Cuomo and Ed Koch would play.

And once this project is complete they should hire the descendents of Robert Moses and begin demolishing the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
                                These new ballparks are all the same. Citifield is a dead ringer for Comerica and Petco. Take away the cheap frieze and a few thousand extra seats the new Yankee Stadium has lot of similarities to all of HOK's ballparks.

Not to cause trouble, but...

The Osbourne stadiums all had strong similarities too.
                                Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X