No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think they knocked out those 2 holes in the back wall to make room so they can remove the seats easily out of the stadium:lightbulb:

Comment

• Hello Richard:

The time is drawing nigh...I sent you a private message!

Regards,

Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
        I just don't understand why they started demo now, ESPECIALLY when the new park is opening right across the street. All fans will be forced to look at the carcass across the way being eaten up by the vultures all season. They've already delayed enough, I would have done it as the Mets and over the winter or just waited until the end of the season.
        Welcome to the crime that Jerry Reinsdorf forced all Sox fans to endure in 1991.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
          I just don't understand why they started demo now, ESPECIALLY when the new park is opening right across the street. All fans will be forced to look at the carcass across the way being eaten up by the vultures all season. They've already delayed enough, I would have done it as the Mets and over the winter or just waited until the end of the season.
          The city wants the land for the parks that were taken away from the new stadium. Their have been politicians already bitching that the Yanks should have left the building months ago. I have not read every post but it seems some are blaming the Yankees. The Yankees do not have any control over the stadium anymore. In fact as of 4/1 no Yankee employee had any access to the old stadium. Having been to the original stadium and opened up the refurbish in 76 it does make me sad seeing the demo starting already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
            Except they didn't build another, grander, more beautiful Penn Station to replace it, they just sank it and dumped MSG on top. Read the architect's review of the new Stadium in the NY Times: from a purely architectural view both Stadium were long overdue for demolition.
            I'm an architect for a living and strongly disagree with that.

Comment

• Young Man . . .

Young man, there, with the jack hammer . . .

<construction worker freezes in place, looking around for the source of the masked voice>
              Attached Files
              RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Heritage Field with Grand Entrance.
                Attached Files
                Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Dear Friends,

I've always believed in advertising. I think great numbers of people will be reached through the various media. Even something as simple as a Letter To The Editor. These will be read by millions of people.

How about putting a story on youtube. Everyone sees that great site. Tell what we want and have drawings included of ideas.

The same for other well-known sites.

Many great ideas were on "To Save Yankee Stadium," on Baseball Fever.

To save a reasonable part of Yankee Stadium would not take up much park space. I still think that with all the history that Yankee Stadium has given us, it absolutely deserves to have a part left behind for us to visit.

I wish Disney or another company would be involved. Audio-animatronic figures of Babe, Lou, Joe, Mickey, and many others could tell us about the teams they played on, the history of Yankee Stadium, etc. The possibilities are endless. It would also be a moneymaker. As we all know, sadly, the almighty buck is the bottom line. Besides these talking figures, a museum in the saved portion of Yankee Stadium would be on display.

Assuming the Yankees draw about 4 million people this year, hundreds of thousands of people would easily visit such an experience as this. Local people would also have some more jobs in the area.

The Baseball Hall of Fame, as I understand it, has a lot of memorabilia that cannot be displayed due to limited space (if I'm wrong, please correct me).
                  What better place than this shrine to display some of these priceless treasures. At, say, $10. per person for admission, this would be a nice income. Plus income from souvenirs. Instead of having a restaurant in the museum, visitors could go to the local restaurants. This would certainly be most welcome, I would think, by such establishments in the off-season.

Anything is possible, as long as people keep an open mind and are reasonable.
                  This could all be done, and the people living in the area would still have parks
                  and recreational areas.

Once it's gone, it's gone. That would be very sad and very wrong for all that The House That Ruth gave us.

Sincerely,
                  Mike Wagner

Comment

• wow, couldn't have said it any better

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                      Dear Friends,

I've always believed in advertising. I think great numbers of people will be reached through the various media. Even something as simple as a Letter To The Editor. These will be read by millions of people.

How about putting a story on youtube. Everyone sees that great site. Tell what we want and have drawings included of ideas.

The same for other well-known sites.

Many great ideas were on "To Save Yankee Stadium," on Baseball Fever.

To save a reasonable part of Yankee Stadium would not take up much park space. I still think that with all the history that Yankee Stadium has given us, it absolutely deserves to have a part left behind for us to visit.

I wish Disney or another company would be involved. Audio-animatronic figures of Babe, Lou, Joe, Mickey, and many others could tell us about the teams they played on, the history of Yankee Stadium, etc. The possibilities are endless. It would also be a moneymaker. As we all know, sadly, the almighty buck is the bottom line. Besides these talking figures, a museum in the saved portion of Yankee Stadium would be on display.

Assuming the Yankees draw about 4 million people this year, hundreds of thousands of people would easily visit such an experience as this. Local people would also have some more jobs in the area.

The Baseball Hall of Fame, as I understand it, has a lot of memorabilia that cannot be displayed due to limited space (if I'm wrong, please correct me).
                      What better place than this shrine to display some of these priceless treasures. At, say, $10. per person for admission, this would be a nice income. Plus income from souvenirs. Instead of having a restaurant in the museum, visitors could go to the local restaurants. This would certainly be most welcome, I would think, by such establishments in the off-season.

Anything is possible, as long as people keep an open mind and are reasonable.
                      This could all be done, and the people living in the area would still have parks
                      and recreational areas.

Once it's gone, it's gone. That would be very sad and very wrong for all that The House That Ruth gave us.

Sincerely,
                      Mike Wagner

Honestly, I don't think robot figures of former Yankees would go good. Maybe if they put some sort of baseball museum on the site, it would work, but I don' think anyone in NY would wanna go and see robot figures. I went to that hall of presidents in Disney, and it was really weird. That would be more for people from the midwest and boring places like that who don't have a big city.

Comment

• I would love to see a piece of the stadium preserved, but unfortunaley it is well beyond the point of saving. This movement should have been made YEARS ago, well before the Herritage Field plans were put into place. RYS sits on NYC property. The city will reclaim this land without remorse.

Comment

• Some pics from last night...
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Yankee4life; 04-04-2009, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• To Everyone...

Read Mike Wagner's latest post (#908) and ponder the photographs that follow (Yankee4life).

Need more be said?

Comment

• It looks like the demolition really has begun. They've poked some large holes in the wall behind where monument park used to be, and it looks like the outfield wall in RF is gone.

This is why the pictures of OYS are so important. The physical structure will soon be gone, but the pictures will last forever.
                              Last edited by curb my enthusiasm; 04-04-2009, 05:49 AM.
                              Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankee4life View Post
                                Some pics from last night...
                                (emenating from somewhere beneath the bleachers..)

You will LEAVE this STADIUM alone. You DON'T know the forces you are reckoning with....

<Site foreman has to replace nervous demolition crews due to allegations of hallucinatins & dementia>
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 04-04-2009, 05:55 AM.
                                RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X