Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
    Your kidding, right? A United States Senator with almost 20,000,000 constituents, over 1,300,000 in the Bronx, is going to care what 20-30 people on an internet website think about tearing down the Stadium? His Bronx voters want their trees and parks back, ASAP, and he's up for reelection in a couple of years. He'll swing the wrecking ball personally if he has to.
    I agree with your post 100%. I also doubt any of these posters even live in the South Bronx and some don't even live in the state of New York and have no effect on whether Schumer's re-election. Schumer won his last election with over 65% of the vote by the way.
    http://nyposts.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
      Not to cause trouble, but...

The Osbourne stadiums all had strong similarities too.
      People have to realized that a lot of time when there is a massive construction of stadiums in a decade, They all have a lot of similarities.
      Born, raise and living in Flushing since 93.

Comment

• I think it was David Cone and Paul O'Neill on the YES telecast last night that were discussing that the old stadium lit up looked eerie as they came into the park.... one of them said they wished they could get the keys and go over after that game was completed and play for a while...

Comment

• Originally posted by darbypitcher22 View Post
          I think it was David Cone and Paul O'Neill on the YES telecast last night that were discussing that the old stadium lit up looked eerie as they came into the park.... one of them said they wished they could get the keys and go over after that game was completed and play for a while...
          Mmm....That field probably won't play very well given its present condition.
          RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Check my most recent post on "Saving Yankee Stadium"...the IDEAL (which we would love to see) verses the REAL (which we may have to accept).

SOMETHING FROM THE PRE-RENOVATED STADIUM HAS TO BE PRESERVED, AND, AS I'VE POSTED BEFORE, THE HOLES ARE INCHING CLOSER AND CLOSER TO GATE 2...WHICH IS THE PRIMARY FOCUS OF OUR EFFORTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Jones View Post
              yankees650B: a great plan...but the reality of sacrificing "any" park land for your preservation proposal is going to meet with lots of opposition...not from
              your colleagues at BBF, but from the "higher-ups." Detroit was lucky.
              Biggest reason part of Tiger Stadium was saved is that no one is looking to build anything in Detroit. The whole city's about to become a ghost town.

Comment

• I just got back from the yankee game, and at RYS, the guy heading deconstruction was there. He's actually excited to take down the place.

I found out the following

They are Taking down white part behind the bleachers this week

The actual Demo starts in june and takes a year!

Everything done by hand cause of subway- no wrecking ball like shea

All Concrete is being recycled

5 pieces of frieze are being sold, rest being destroyed

National geographic will be following and filming it like they did the orange bowl. They already started filming.

EDIT: forgot to add they are also raising the field to ground level for the park. I guess that's why the original plan to keep the infield field seats was scrapped.
                Last edited by YanksRule; 04-04-2009, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by YanksRule View Post
                  I just got back from the yankee game, and at RYS, the guy heading deconstruction was there. He's actually excited to take down the place.

I found out the following

They are Taking down white part behind the bleachers this week

The actual Demo starts in june and takes a year!

All Concrete is being recycled

5 pieces of frieze are being sold, rest being destroyed

National geographic will be following and filming it like they did the orange bowl. They already started filming.
                  This is going to be a VERY interesting demo.
                  "You're killin' me Smalls!"

Comment

• Originally posted by YanksRule View Post
                    I just got back from the yankee game, and at RYS, the guy heading deconstruction was there. He's actually excited to take down the place.

They only used the wrecking ball at Shea to take out the concrete of the upper deck.
                    Born, raise and living in Flushing since 93.

Comment

• All but five sections of the frieze will be destroyed...Damn...and fifty years later we still wish we had something tangible from Ebbets' Field and the Polo Grounds (the old stairway does still exist, but nothing from the park itself).

I'm from Richmond, and the mid to late decades of the last century were brutal...the house where Edgar Allan Poe lived for a while, the hometown ballpark located on an island in the middle of the James River, monuments and landmarks too numereous to mention...we lost so much. WE NEVER LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES.

Failure to preserve "something" from the original Stadium will affect New York Baseball for generations.

There's a reason families continue to flock to the "Field of Dreams" movie set in Iowa...as Terrance Mann says, "America has been erased like a blackboard...but baseball...this game, this FIELD...it reminds us of all that once was good and could be again..."

Comment

• How the hell can they destroy any of the friezes? At least give the rest away to people that would want them. There's no excuse for such disrespect to the Yankee trademark? Everyone knows if the rest of the friezes went to the auction block, they'd each bring a fortune. At least donate them to a charity that can auction them off for money. New York City could certainly use such funds.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                            How the hell can they destroy any of the friezes? At least give the rest away to people that would want them.

-Mike Wagner
                            Too much work and overhead is all I could presume. As for giving it away, I would presume they just don't want "you" to sell them in their stead. Benifits the value of the ones they do sell. Sad.

Comment

• Frieze #2

It may be that they can only salvage every other frieze section as each section shares its ends with the one next to it. So I think only every other section can be saved. Having stated this, there are 8 sections to the right of the large scoreboard and 10 to the left. Therefore, by my reckoning, at least 4 on the right and 5 on the left are salvageable. And that's assuming that each section has to be detached from its neighbor. If 5 are spoken for, fine. Then keep the other 4 and along with the 4 middle sections in between these 4 that don't need to be detached, you'd have 8. Save these and place them together in the park!

Comment

• Originally posted by mackenzie View Post
                                It may be that they can only salvage every other frieze section as each section shares its ends with the one next to it. So I think only either other section can be saved. Having stated this, there are 8 sections to the right of the large scoreboard and 10 to the left. Therefore, by my reckoning, at least 4 on the right and 5 on the left are salvageable. And that's assuming that each section has to be detached from its neighbor. If 5 are spoken for, fine. Then keep the other 4 and along with the 4 middle sections in between these 4 that don't need to be detached, you'd have 8. Save these and place them together in the park!
                                Good logical and well put hypothesis. I'm just naturally a cynic, though . . . I hope your right.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X