Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It would be cool if at least one section of frieze found its way into the new stadium, at least at the Yankee Museum where people could take their pictures in front of it.
    New York Yankees
    New York Rangers
    New York Giants

    Comment


    • you know what would be nice?

      if they put a scoreboard up somewhere in the park

      and they put pieces of the freeze (I know I spelled it wrong again) on top of the scoreboard. Obviously not the scoreboard that's there now, but like a high school type scoreboard. Or, you know that sign that's by the highway? They should put that sign in the park and turn it into a scoreboard, and put the pieces on that.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Chris Jones View Post
        All but five sections of the frieze will be destroyed...Damn...and fifty years later we still wish we had something tangible from Ebbets' Field and the Polo Grounds (the old stairway does still exist, but nothing from the park itself).

        I'm from Richmond, and the mid to late decades of the last century were brutal...the house where Edgar Allan Poe lived for a while, the hometown ballpark located on an island in the middle of the James River, monuments and landmarks too numereous to mention...we lost so much. WE NEVER LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES.

        Failure to preserve "something" from the original Stadium will affect New York Baseball for generations.

        There's a reason families continue to flock to the "Field of Dreams" movie set in Iowa...as Terrance Mann says, "America has been erased like a blackboard...but baseball...this game, this FIELD...it reminds us of all that once was good and could be again..."
        We do have tangible relics from Ebbets and the Polo Grounds...in baseball's museum in Cooperstown where they are protected for the ages. That's where the remnants of YS sould go, and indeed many things are there already. Leave anything of the Stadium standing in the public park and they will be vandalized and covered in graffitti within a week. Look at the rooftops across the street. The Yankees have maintained the cleanliness of the ballpark through their own vigilance, thousands of gallons of paint and Steinbrenner's obsession. The city will not be so vigilant. All your precious relics would look like crap in no time.

        Comment


        • man its gonna hurt when they bring it down, miss the old place
          Attached Files
          sigpic

          Comment


          • Dear Mattingly85MVP,

            What a beautiful photo!!!!! I've never seen a shot like this before.

            -Mike Wagner

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
              Dear Mattingly85MVP,

              What a beautiful photo!!!!! I've never seen a shot like this before.

              -Mike Wagner
              Thanks, took it on Friday from my seat in the grand stand once the sky cleared up...its actually 2 photos that were stitched together
              sigpic

              Comment










              • Full size versions are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2050367...505194/detail/

                Comment


                • Originally posted by atdy17 View Post
                  They only used the wrecking ball at Shea to take out the concrete of the upper deck.
                  I think what they mean is they can't do anything that will cause any part of the stadium to collapse down on itself, like the way in shea they had the ramps fall down in that domino effect, because any cloud of dust will make its way to the surrounding neighborhood. I think it's literally going to be picked apart one piece at a time =/.

                  Comment


                  • Relics

                    Kentucky Bomber:

                    Gate 2 won't fit in Cooperstown...I'll take my chances.

                    But Thanks,

                    Chris

                    Comment


                    • Dear Friends,

                      I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to have some of the cement and other debris as a souvenir for my Yankee Stadium collection. I'd pay postage and a little bit more.

                      Just for the record, I AM NOT against the new Yankee Stadium at all. I know it's gorgeous and befitting of the New York Yankees, which is the greatest sports franchise in the history of sports. Although I'm in Texas and cannot have the pleasure of going there for a while like you guys can, I know its beauty throught the pictures on Baseball Fever and the web. I grew up in West Hempstead, Long Island, and will ALWAYS be a New Yorker and a Yankee fan!!!

                      I'm VERY PROUD of the new Stadium. It lives up to the New York Yankees. I just don't feel we should totally scrap the historic Yankee Stadium that has helped shaped the team and our lives. That's all.

                      I feel something should be left for us to pay our respects. Not some marker or plaque. But a real piece of the real structure. Yankee Stadium has many times over earned our love, respect, and reverence. When you read about history or see photos in a book that's one thing. Seeing something in real life is far better and gives a greater appreciation of the subject.

                      The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier or Pearl Harbor Monument are great examples. We've seen them in photos. Being there in real life takes on a greater solemnity and respect. Seeing the Yankees on TV doesn't compare to being at the Stadium with all the sounds, sights, and aromas of hot dogs, beer, etc. You just get a different, more soulful feeling being there.

                      Respectfully,
                      Mike Wagner

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                        Dear Friends,

                        I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to have some of the cement and other debris as a souvenir for my Yankee Stadium collection. I'd pay postage and a little bit more.

                        Just for the record, I AM NOT against the new Yankee Stadium at all. I know it's gorgeous and befitting of the New York Yankees, which is the greatest sports franchise in the history of sports. Although I'm in Texas and cannot have the pleasure of going there for a while like you guys can, I know its beauty throught the pictures on Baseball Fever and the web. I grew up in West Hempstead, Long Island, and will ALWAYS be a New Yorker and a Yankee fan!!!

                        I'm VERY PROUD of the new Stadium. It lives up to the New York Yankees. I just don't feel we should totally scrap the historic Yankee Stadium that has helped shaped the team and our lives. That's all.

                        I feel something should be left for us to pay our respects. Not some marker or plaque. But a real piece of the real structure. Yankee Stadium has many times over earned our love, respect, and reverence. When you read about history or see photos in a book that's one thing. Seeing something in real life is far better and gives a greater appreciation of the subject.

                        The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier or Pearl Harbor Monument are great examples. We've seen them in photos. Being there in real life takes on a greater solemnity and respect. Seeing the Yankees on TV doesn't compare to being at the Stadium with all the sounds, sights, and aromas of hot dogs, beer, etc. You just get a different, more soulful feeling being there.

                        Respectfully,
                        Mike Wagner
                        I completely agree and am also in favor of preserving part of the stadium, such as a gate and/or the CF wall as previously mentioned.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                          Dear Friends,

                          I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to have some of the cement and other debris as a souvenir for my Yankee Stadium collection. I'd pay postage and a little bit more.

                          Just for the record, I AM NOT against the new Yankee Stadium at all. I know it's gorgeous and befitting of the New York Yankees, which is the greatest sports franchise in the history of sports. Although I'm in Texas and cannot have the pleasure of going there for a while like you guys can, I know its beauty throught the pictures on Baseball Fever and the web. I grew up in West Hempstead, Long Island, and will ALWAYS be a New Yorker and a Yankee fan!!!

                          I'm VERY PROUD of the new Stadium. It lives up to the New York Yankees. I just don't feel we should totally scrap the historic Yankee Stadium that has helped shaped the team and our lives. That's all.

                          I feel something should be left for us to pay our respects. Not some marker or plaque. But a real piece of the real structure. Yankee Stadium has many times over earned our love, respect, and reverence. When you read about history or see photos in a book that's one thing. Seeing something in real life is far better and gives a greater appreciation of the subject.

                          The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier or Pearl Harbor Monument are great examples. We've seen them in photos. Being there in real life takes on a greater solemnity and respect. Seeing the Yankees on TV doesn't compare to being at the Stadium with all the sounds, sights, and aromas of hot dogs, beer, etc. You just get a different, more soulful feeling being there.

                          Respectfully,
                          Mike Wagner
                          I agree with you Mike. There should be something more than a marker to remember the original Yankee Stadium. Unfortunately, no one in a prominent position with the City of New York, the demolition company, the group that will sell of its fixtures or the Yankees organization has stepped forward with a public plan to do so. No one as allocated a budget. It appears they want all attention on the new stadium, which is fine. The new place is fantastic and deserves the spotlight now. I just think we're in the 11th hour with seconds ticking away and no where else except for sites like this one here has anyone come out with a solid plan with the money to back it up.

                          I think it would have been very cool to remove the frieze and place it on a granite base along the ground in its current alignment so people can pass by along a sidewalk, take photos in front of it with the current stadium in the background and be able to look back towards to old home plate site. A flag pole with a Yankees flag could've flown in right field with a baseball attached to it at the precise location of Mickey Mantle's shot off the frieze. Keeping the Gate 2 ticket booths in place with new graphics showing photos of the old stadium would be nice. The new park space should be an extension of the Yankees branding, but it is city property and is probably up to them and not so much the team.

                          There are a lot of things that can be done with Heritage Park that would not take away from any revenue streams the Yankees have in their new stadium. All it takes is some money. Who is ready to step up in bulk? The time has passed for small donations.

                          Comment


                          • My friend was in Germany when the wall came down, he brought me back a handful size chunk of cement from the wall . I thinking of going on Tuesday night and cracking off a piece of the Stadium.

                            Comment


                            • Dear Friends,
                              I just thought of something. If all of old Yankee Stadium is to be obliterated from the face of the earth, and the name of the site will become "Heritage Park," what heritage are they talking about? If there is no trace of Yankee Stadium.......?

                              -Mike Wagner

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                                Dear Friends,
                                I just thought of something. If all of old Yankee Stadium is to be obliterated from the face of the earth, and the name of the site will become "Heritage Park," what heritage are they talking about? If there is no trace of Yankee Stadium.......?

                                -Mike Wagner
                                Well stated Mike! Imaginary Heritage I reckon.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X