Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yankees650B View Post
    i still think they could preserve dugout to dugout as well as a few other aspects of the stadium and still offer the public parkland at the same time.
    That rendering is perfect... and is what they should do ....
    27 Time WORLD CHAMPIONS!

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
      Uhhm, hate bust yer bubble buuuut - cutting those cables will not cause the upper-deck to fold forward - at least not immediately. Remember those 10-12 additional rows added in 1975?? They and and the short awning above them with the field lighting ribbon act as a counterbalance to that portion below the addition point(the cantilevered section).

I was just kidding!!!

Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Originally posted by NYY - upstatefan View Post
        Obviously it would have been ideal to build the new stadium in the exact location as the old. But there was no way for that to happen. The new stadium is in the Bronx at the same intersection and it looks great. It's fantastic. I loved the original Yankee Stadium and the renovated recent version. I watched this one being built and couldn't wait to see them play there. This one may not be in the same spot but when you look at it, it's Yankee Stadium. It can't get much better than that!
        I didn't say this for nostalgic reasons. I just meant that the local kids wouldn't have lost their park. That's all.
        Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Originally posted by kobathecat View Post
          As much as I want to hold on to OYS/RYS, it is important to remember when it was built, it was built as a place to watch a ballgame and drink a beer or whatever else they were serving in their day. The owner of the NY baseball Giants scoffed at it as a folly. He was wrong and the years and events caused it to become something greater than steel, concrete and grass. We are losing that tangible history now, but the site will remain as community accessible ballfields on which to honor that history. The team remains. The neighborhood remains. We remain. Those sound like the most important elements in which to continue and create more history and legends. Would I have preferred to have stayed in the original? Yes. I have an entire back tattoo portrait of the 1940's era YS with Joe DiMaggio accurate down to the original ads, support columns and frieze accurately displayed. So you can say I love the old place so much I will literally carry it with me forever! I took my 2-1/2 year old daughter there to her first game when she was 8 months old.

But this year I take my 9 month old son, whose middle name is 'DiMaggio' to the new YS. I'm not being disloyal. There will be sadness. I'm moving on, on to NYS. Let's not be afraid to embrace the future and create memories as special as the old ones, as when my dad took me to my first game in 1980 at RYS.

Because in 60-70 years, my son will probably take his grandson to his first game across the street at YS 3, likely to be built on the site of YS 1, and it will be right that he should do that and embrace it when that time comes.
          Very well spoken.

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees650B View Post
            i still think they could preserve dugout to dugout as well as a few other aspects of the stadium and still offer the public parkland at the same time.
            That would be ideal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
              That would be ideal.
              That was the original plan but unfortunately they changed it to take down the entire structure.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                For sure . . . .

can someone please tell me what that picture is supposed to be? It looks like a painting, but I'm not sure. Is that the it puts the lotion on it's skin dude?

Comment

• Originally posted by CHiller View Post
                  I'd agree that the bleachers will have to be the first to go before demo on the grandstand starts in order to get truck and crane access to the inside. After that, I'd bet that the field level and loge sections will be torn back to the vertical column/wall that was added during the renovation to act as a fulcrum for the upper deck. Then I'd bet that the roof will be removed. After that, you're guess is as good as mine. They could start tearing back the front rows of the upper deck until the balance begins to make it top heavy, then remove some of the back rows added during the renovation to restore the balance. After that, they can just pick away until they get the the vertical column/wall.
                  If look at the Shea Stadium demolition photos, I believe the RYS will be taken down the same way. Shea's outfield scoreboards, bleachers and other outfield back of house items went down first just as it appears Yankee Stadium demo is stating from the outfield. Next was Shea's field boxes which I believe YS lower level will be next. The concrete stands of the loge and mezzanine were next, which would be YS middle level. The roof stricture of Shea holding the lights were cut away as the demolition team worked from the outfield corners towards home plate. After the roof the upper deck was broken up. As each section of upper deck disappeared, the steel skeleton was taken down next. I think Yankee Stadium will be taken down the same way. As a Mets fan, I was sadden every time I saw another section of Shea get torn apart. I feel Yankee fans will get that same sad feeling. Worse is that this is all happening during the season.

Comment

• Dear Friends,

Let's also think out of the box. Are there areas within a block or two that could also be used for parkland or recreational space? Any condemned buildings in the area?

Would any businesses in the area sponsor keeping a portion of Yankee Stadium up in return for business that would benefit them?

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• Originally posted by bigshea1964 View Post
                      If look at the Shea Stadium demolition photos, I believe the RYS will be taken down the same way. Shea's outfield scoreboards, bleachers and other outfield back of house items went down first just as it appears Yankee Stadium demo is stating from the outfield. Next was Shea's field boxes which I believe YS lower level will be next. The concrete stands of the loge and mezzanine were next, which would be YS middle level. The roof stricture of Shea holding the lights were cut away as the demolition team worked from the outfield corners towards home plate. After the roof the upper deck was broken up. As each section of upper deck disappeared, the steel skeleton was taken down next. I think Yankee Stadium will be taken down the same way. As a Mets fan, I was sadden every time I saw another section of Shea get torn apart. I feel Yankee fans will get that same sad feeling. Worse is that this is all happening during the season.
                      I think that YS's UD needs to go first as the loge is so recessed under it.

Comment

• Originally posted by levyro View Post
                        That rendering is perfect... and is what they should do ....
                        DITTO! Forward that to the City Council ASAP!
                        RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Metfan61-we can all "only imagine "what Yankee stadium looks like under all the refurbishings because ,unlike what we went through and did,there seems to be no Yankee fan(other than Richard Lillard1)who owns a camera.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
                            I feel that way since the Tigers left Tiger stadium. They don't seem like the Tigers anymore. They seem like just a bunch of guys who wear the uniform. As if the team history stopped on the day they moved out. And like the Baltimore Colts, just started again in another city

I stopped being a fan. I stopped going to games. Its like the team moved out of the state.
                            Another thing that's been covered here more than a time or two.

As a Tigers fan, I find the notion ridiculous. I cried like a baby the day Tiger Stadium closed. But did I stop being a Tigers fan? Of course not. Because I understood the need for the move, and so how could I not agree with it? I think that when we manage to set our feelings about the old places our teams played in aside, we can have a more realistic perspective and understanding of the necessity of these moves.

As we've told some of the old stadium huggers here, it ain't about the stadium...we're fans of the team. If it is simply about downing a few brews enjoying the game, you can STILL do that. The Tigers didn't move to Cheboygan! The notion that they stopped being the Tigers because they moved a mile away is just silly.

It's funny...most of us who post here are male..but I've noticed that most of the anti-new stadium-at-any-cost, nothing-can-ever-replace-the-old-girl- because-of-Ruth-Dimmagio-Kaline-Cobb-I went-there-with-my-dad/granddad, the-Romans-don't-do-it-why-do-we-do-it, it's-sterile-anticeptic, the-owners-are-all-greedy, etc. comments that are posted here 24/7, no matter how badly their team needed a new stadium, no matter how much sense the move made, and no matter how NICE the new stadium is, are based PURELY on emotion.

I challenge anyone on these forums who is against a new stadium for their team, to examine the situation apart from how they personally feel, and THEN explain just what the problem really is.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
                              Another thing that's been covered here more than a time or two.

As a Tigers fan, I find the notion ridiculous. I cried like a baby the day Tiger Stadium closed. But did I stop being a Tigers fan? Of course not. Because I understood the need for the move, and so how could I not agree with it? I think that when we manage to set our feelings about the old places our teams played in aside, we can have a more realistic perspective and understanding of the necessity of these moves.

As we've told some of the old stadium huggers here, it ain't about the stadium...we're fans of the team. If it is simply about downing a few brews enjoying the game, you can STILL do that. The Tigers didn't move to Cheboygan! The notion that they stopped being the Tigers because they moved a mile away is just silly.

It's funny...most of us who post here are male..but I've noticed that most of the anti-new stadium-at-any-cost, nothing-can-ever-replace-the-old-girl- because-of-Ruth-Dimmagio-Kaline-Cobb-I went-there-with-my-dad/granddad, the-Romans-don't-do-it-why-do-we-do-it, it's-sterile-anticeptic, the-owners-are-all-greedy, etc. comments that are posted here 24/7, no matter how badly their team needed a new stadium, no matter how much sense the move made, and no matter how NICE the new stadium is, are based PURELY on emotion.

I challenge anyone on these forums who is against a new stadium for their team, to examine the situation apart from how they personally feel, and THEN explain just what the problem really is.

OF course it is totally an emotional situation; there is no logic behind it at all. But the exact same thing can be said about our love for our team.

At the last game at YS, I took copies of tickets from several memorable games and then had my picture taken in those seats. The best was sitting in the same seats that I had for the 1976 playoff game where Chambliss hit the game winning HR. For that brief moment, as I looked out to the field, I was a teenager again and my Grandfather (gone for 20 years now) was once sitting next to me. Pure emotion - not a drop of logic.

The last seats I visited were from my Saturday plan which my son and I have had since '97 and where guys around me commented "we got to watch your son grow up here."

So I really think that you loose a lot.

On a logical note. The Yankees were #1 in revenue at RYS. Boston was #2.

Comment

• Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
                                Just have a guy run down the roof with a sawzall and cut all the cables holding the upperdeck in place real fast.

TIMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRASH!!!!!!!!

ROFLOL! That was hilarious. Or give 50 workers a huge bolt cutters and on the count of three . . . .

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X