Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My most recent post (#1049) was directed to "DaBigMotor"...and "Dimswits"
    is absolutely correct with the "bad taste" comment! Amen...thanks for calling it as we all saw it!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Chris Jones View Post
      Yes, absolutely...but in our "throw away, disposable" society, ballparks are just one more thing to be "thrown away."

      For half a century, a relatively small part of the tangible elements of the Game were tampered with. With Expansion came new rules, new parks (some lasting less than three decades), more teams, fewer career team players/loss of team loyalty,...these are the reasons members of our generation are grasping for bricks, seats, and anything else that reminds us of longstanding, tangible things...concerns our parents and grandparents never anticipated.

      The Roman Coliseum has stood for 1,929 years (since 80 AD...is my math correct) but Yankee Stadium is being erased after 85 (1923 AD).

      I appreciate your perspective as well as your tears, but I also remember what Terrence Mann says in "Field of Dreams" (I've posted this before, but...),
      "America has been erased like a blackboard...rebuilt, and erased again...but
      baseball has marked the time...this FIELD, this game...remind us of all that once was good, and could be again...people will most definately come..."

      Thanks for your comments,

      Regards,

      Chris
      It's stood in unusable condition for how many years? 1000, 1500? More?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by dimswits View Post
        Not only is your analogy completely ridiculous, it was also in extremely poor taste.
        Of course it was ridiculous. It was meant to be. However, its a precise line of logic that the other poster was using. Some how were are being absurd for being emotional to mourn a stadium, but other forms of mourning are acceptable? We're human and have attachments to places and objects. Its natural. We mourn places and objects of sentimental value, just as we mourn the loss of people (however to a different degree).

        Its not for DaBigMotor to decide what is acceptable, what is logical or illogical, or to condescend down to us for working to save the stadium or being sentimental.

        Get it?
        Last edited by doctor_gogol; 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM.
        Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

        Comment


        • Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
          Since you guys don't post photos you all might as well put on Turner Classic Movies there's a great movie with Mantle and Maris in it.
          Safe At Home!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
            Of course it was ridiculous. It was meant to be. However, its a precise line of logic that the other poster was using. Some how were are being absurd for being emotional to mourn a stadium, but other forms of mourning are acceptable? We're human and have attachments to places and objects. Its natural. We mourn places and objects of sentimental value, just as we mourn the loss of people (however to a different degree).

            Its not for DaBigMotor to decide what is acceptable, or to condescend down to us for working to save the stadium or being sentimental.

            Get it?
            Utter BS.

            First of all, it's not your place to police my comments.

            Secondly, you were clearly POd in your response, and it was based on your feelings towards this poster, who you decided long ago to have an issue with.
            I enjoyed this board more when I couldn't see your posts
            That does NOT sound like someone who only wanted to engage the discussion.

            To try and spin an angry rant into some sort of calculated rebuttal is as unfortunate as your inappropriate comments.
            Last edited by DaBigMotor; 04-09-2009, 02:57 PM.

            Comment


            • Wiki says that it is going to take 2 years to complete the demo...

              ...could they make it any more difficult for us? lol
              sigpic

              Comment


              • If anyone here finds it necessary to continue this conversation about my choice of words or phrasing, how about you take it off this board? Send me a PM.

                This thread meant for the Yankee Stadium demolition is getting cluttered.

                Sorry if anyone was offended by my comments. I was trying to make a point to another poster regarding his careless and offensive use of words.

                I wont respond to any replies on this topic in the public forum.

                [/discussion]
                Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

                Comment


                • The gall... attempting to make it look like you're the bigger man, and are saving the day, by ending a detour that YOU took us along, and topping it off with the most insincere apology that I have ever seen an adult make...and then you offer an open invitation to PM you to further discuss the very thing that you're taking credit for ending!

                  Yours have served as text book examples of self-servitude.

                  My initial question was...can we set apart our emotions and objectively look at the issues involving the replacement of our beloved old stadiums... and in your case, the answer is obvious. Feelings. Whoa, o-o-o-o, feelings...

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
                    Since you guys don't post photos you all might as well put on Turner Classic Movies there's a great movie with Mantle and Maris in it.
                    I think the lack of photos shows that most of the Yankee fan base comes from outside the general area of the stadium. I'd take some pictures, but the place is a pain in the neck to get to from central Jersey. Shea was a different story, I think they have many more fans local to the area. If there's no game to go see, it's just not a nice trip to make. When the Yanks are back in town you'll see some new ones I'm sure.

                    Comment


                    • I really hope some portion of the lower section of seats is saved for future generations. Anyone in the Yankee organization reading this right now, please make it happen!
                      Last edited by locke40; 04-09-2009, 05:35 PM. Reason: New York, New York
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
                        I think the lack of photos shows that most of the Yankee fan base comes from outside the general area of the stadium. I'd take some pictures, but the place is a pain in the neck to get to from central Jersey. Shea was a different story, I think they have many more fans local to the area. If there's no game to go see, it's just not a nice trip to make. When the Yanks are back in town you'll see some new ones I'm sure.
                        You mean the Yankee fanbase on this site and I think you are correct. All you have to do is look at the location and you'll see many of the Yankee fans here are outside of NYC while a lot of the Mets fans are in NYC/LI.
                        http://nyposts.blogspot.com/

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
                          Since you guys don't post photos you all might as well put on Turner Classic Movies there's a great movie with Mantle and Maris in it.
                          is it that stupid Wilma Crystal movie where they filmed it in tiger stadium, and they had a ghost of Babe Ruth throw a chair on the field?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
                            is it that stupid Wilma Crystal movie where they filmed it in tiger stadium, and they had a ghost of Babe Ruth throw a chair on the field?
                            I realize you're young, so it's understandable that you might have some of your "pop" culture references mixed up.

                            My boy, you're thinking of Billy Crystal the actor.

                            Wilma was the name of Fred Flinstone's wife.

                            The actor John Goodman played Fred Flintstone in the Flintstones movie... and he also played "Babe" Ruth in another. So I can see where a young fella like yourself might be confused and mistakenly refer to Billy Crystal as "Wilma."
                            X
                            What's THAT guy doing?
                            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
                              It was about the game and spending time with family/friends. That was about it.

                              Now its a multi-media experience, shopping, a night on the town, gourmet food, entertainment, an amusement park and God knows what else.

                              It almost seems like the game is secondary.

                              I miss the old days where is was simplistic. Just a beer, hot dog, my family or a couple pals watching a game from the $4 bleacher seats. No silly distractions.

                              Major league baseball will never go back to the simplicity. It will never just be a game again. It will be an attraction and experience.
                              While I can't say I disagree with the sentiment, I'd like to welcome you to 2009. Nothing is like it used to be. Every facet of our daily lives has significantly changed since the 70s and 80s, let alone the 40s or 50s.

                              Once in a while (maybe once a year) the Yankees should have "throwback day" where they turn off all the video boards and LED strips, and use the PA only to make important announcements and to announce the batters and pitchers - no music (maybe just the organ), no videos, no replays - nothing but the basics. That might be fun.
                              New York Yankees
                              New York Rangers
                              New York Giants

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Pinstripes View Post
                                Once in a while (maybe once a year) the Yankees should have "throwback day" where they turn off all the video boards and LED strips, and use the PA only to make important announcements and to announce the batters and pitchers - no music (maybe just the organ), no videos, no replays - nothing but the basics. That might be fun.
                                Yeah...

                                It's called "baseball."

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X