Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
    Are you talking about the Boston Garden? The Boston Garden was the greatest arena in NBA history. It had some bad seats which had obstructed views, by the way it indicated obstructed view on the tickets, but man that arena had some great views. The balcony was right on top of the floor high above courtside.

I have no use for their new cookie cutter arena, just like I have no use for the new Yankee Stadium.
    I agree with you on a certain level with new arenas and ballparks that get built these days. You really lose the intangibles that old arenas/stadiums provide like the history, sound, and feel, etc. I've had the privilege of going to a few games at the old Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium, and many games at the renovated Yankee Stadium and there is something missing at the TD Banknorth Garden and US Airways Center, and the new Yankees Stadium. When you would go to Chicago Stadium you knew you would probably go deaf by the end of the night because the place was so loud and the crowd was always into the game. With Boston Garden there was an intimate feel since you were right on top of the action and also with all the championship banners and the parquet floor and Red Auerbach and Bill Russell, and you could say "that's the spot where Havlicek stole the ball", etc... With Yankee Stadium, there was an aura to the place, with Bob Sheppard making announcements, the echo from the loud speakers, the wall of sound when something great happened, the way the upperdeck would shake and the personal memories and so on. I went to both Yanks/Cubs games last weekend and I had the feeling like I was in any other ballpark in America, and I miss the Yankee Stadium that I grew up with all these years. Don't get me wrong, it looks great and I'm sure the new place will grow on me with time as new moments and memories happen, but for now I miss those elements that you got with the old stadium that can't be duplicated
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LouGehrig View Post
      You express it very well. The Yankees no longer exist. The team that plays in the new ballpark has no links to Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, or the other great Yankees -- not any more.

Well, just to clarify, I didn't say that the Yankees no longer exist. Of course they exist (!) and of course they still have historical links to the greats of the past, but it is not the same ol' team anymore. How can it be?

I bet you would get some interesting answers from Baltimore fans if asked whether or not the Memorial Stadium- and Camden-era Orioles are the "same team."

The Yankees are not just any other team and OYS was not just any other stadium. Why? Because of the direct line of all that history and accomplishment--the most important in all of baseball and American sports, period--that was housed at THAT PROPERTY at 161st and River. That line is coming to an end.

So yes, it is a new team and a new era and on with it, blah, blah, blah, dead horse, etc. etc., but we are losing a tremendously important American historical place, as I said before.

If NOTHING is kept of the old stadium as a historical marker, this would be an utter TRAVESTY almost incomprehensible in our "enlightened" 21st century. I will lose a lot of respect for the Yankees if this happens. This isn't China...we shouldn't undertake "great leaps forward" where we eradicate physical reminders of our history.

I can't wait to see what happens in Boston when they tear down Fenway someday, which will happen; it might even HAVE to happen, but you will see some DAMN angry people who truly appreciate the history of their ballpark and who could probably give a sh** about restaurants and sightlines and the biggest video board in the world.

I never thought New Yorkers would be as generally disaffected and blase as they are about the demolition of freaking YANKEE STADIUM. Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by CharlesM View Post
        I never thought New Yorkers would be as generally disaffected and blase as they are about the demolition of freaking YANKEE STADIUM. Wow.
        I think it's probably because it already happened in 1974.
        New York Yankees
        New York Rangers
        New York Giants

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinstripes View Post
          I think it's probably because it already happened in 1974.
          Incorrect. This has been said a thousand times now: Yes, the stadium's aesthetics were changed a lot during the renovation, but much of the existing super-structure underneath and other elements are the same as from the '20s and '30s.

When they start pulling down the steel structure, that's mostly 80-year-old steel you're going to see piled up.

When they imminently start demolishing the bleachers, those are the c. 1937 (?) bleachers being demolished, not something that was built new in the '70s.

So let's all sing it together again: "Yankee. Stadium. Was. Not. Completely. Demolished. In. The. '70s." Quite a bit of it was. Quite a bit was not.

Comment

• Movie Location?

I thought demolition would begin after the 2009 season, and in the meantime, a movie, Keeper of the Pinstripes?, would be filmed at the old stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by CharlesM View Post
              Incorrect. This has been said a thousand times now: Yes, the stadium's aesthetics were changed a lot during the renovation, but much of the existing super-structure underneath and other elements are the same as from the '20s and '30s.

When they start pulling down the steel structure, that's mostly 80-year-old steel you're going to see piled up.

When they imminently start demolishing the bleachers, those are the c. 1937 (?) bleachers being demolished, not something that was built new in the '70s.

So let's all sing it together again: "Yankee. Stadium. Was. Not. Completely. Demolished. In. The. '70s." Quite a bit of it was. Quite a bit was not.
              To many, including myself, everything that made the original stadium unique, interesting, and "Yankee Stadium" was destroyed in 1974. The fact that some of it is the same metal or concrete or whatever is mostly irrelevant to me... A classic car that's chopped, rechopped, and had it's body completey changed and replaced, just isn't original, despite the fact that perhaps the axles and suspension might be original.

I know full well what's original and what isn't at Yankee Stadium. Condescending to me ("Yankee. Stadium. Was. Not. Completely. Demolished. In. The. '70s.") as though I'm too dumb to understand it doesn't negate the fact that nearly everything that made Yankee Stadium a unique and original architectural structure was chopped beyond all recognition in 1974. That, to myself and many others, makes refurbished Yankee Stadium a building from 1974 that's made from 1923 (or '37) parts, not a building from 1923, and therefore of significantly less historical significance, regardless that there's "mostly 80 year old steel."

I'm not saying others don't have a right to feel like it's still the original. I'm just explaining why myself, and many others, are somewhat blasé about the fact that a 1970s chop job is being put out of its misery. Not that I won't miss it for all it's meant to me, but there's a difference between feeling an attachment to someplace and missing it vs. finding it historically signficant and worth preservation. It was worth preserving in its original form, but now, however, it's too late.
              Last edited by Pinstripes; 04-13-2009, 04:09 AM.
              New York Yankees
              New York Rangers
              New York Giants

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinstripes View Post
                Condescending to me ("Yankee. Stadium. Was. Not. Completely. Demolished. In. The. '70s.") as though I'm too dumb to understand it doesn't negate the fact that nearly everything that made Yankee Stadium a unique and original architectural structure was chopped beyond all recognition in 1974. That, to myself and many others, makes refurbished Yankee Stadium a building from 1974 that's made from 1923 (or '37) parts, not a building from 1923, and therefore of significantly less historical significance, regardless that there's "mostly 80 year old steel."
                Perhaps you deserve to be talked to like that. This whole argument is ridiculous.

Everything that made Yankee Stadium unique and original was chopped beyond recognition? Are you trying to tell me RYS wasn't unique itself? Give me a break. Yankee Stadium, old or renovated is instantly recognizable around the world. The fact that it went through a major renovation doesn't change anything.

For what it's worth, if you really want to ignore the truth, even RYS Yankee Stadium is considered historic landmark eligible now.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
                  Are you talking about the Boston Garden? The Boston Garden was the greatest arena in NBA history. It had some bad seats which had obstructed views, by the way it indicated obstructed view on the tickets, but man that arena had some great views. The balcony was right on top of the floor high above courtside.

I have no use for their new cookie cutter arena, just like I have no use for the new Yankee Stadium.
                  Good. Stay at home, more tickets for the rest of us.

And if the Boston Garden was the greatest arena in NBA history, they wouldn't have torn it down.
                  Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

Comment

• Has anybody seen if the ambulance bay in left field has been completely demolished since the last Cubs game?

Comment

• Originally posted by applenut View Post
                      Perhaps you deserve to be talked to like that. This whole argument is ridiculous.

Everything that made Yankee Stadium unique and original was chopped beyond recognition? Are you trying to tell me RYS wasn't unique itself? Give me a break. Yankee Stadium, old or renovated is instantly recognizable around the world. The fact that it went through a major renovation doesn't change anything.

For what it's worth, if you really want to ignore the truth, even RYS Yankee Stadium is considered historic landmark eligible now.
                      The Truth? Are you serious? He (Pinstripes) acknowledged the facts that there is still original building components there, but stated opinion (with very strong supporting material) that a good amount of the stadium was replaced (look at the renovation pictures), and its original essence and overall aura was completely changed. I don't think this is a hard concept to grasp. Anyone who attended games in both Original Yankee Stadium and the Renovated version, can tell you with guaranteed certainty, that while both buildings occupied much of the same space, they were completely different structures in terms of character, feel and outward appearance.

I don't think there are many on here who don't lament the demise of such a storied building, and I think we all acknowledge that whether or not the stadium was renovated, it's still a shame to lose the landmark (and a place where we shared so many memories). But, to blindly come out and hammer down our throats the notion that the Stadium is still the same as it was before the renovation is myopic and, frankly, unbelievable.

Comment

• I agree with Soup. I was in both versions many times and have had 35+years to think about it. I saw winning teams in the new place and losing teams in the old place, but the old place had better atomspere and was always a pleasure to look at from any angle. The renovated version is very different. It's never felt like the same place to me. The Yankees have a great history in both parks, but the character that was designed into the park in the 1920's was lost in the fall of '73. Many people in my generation regret what happened back then, now it's the next generation's turn to repeat the cycle. When you 20 somethings and 30 somethings are 50-60+ you'll understand.

Comment

• Maybe we need a new thread; YANKEE STADIUM ARGUMENTS.
                          Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Yogi says....................farewell.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                              Yogi says....................farewell.
                              Even Yogi said he never played in this stadium. Again sad to say but the stadium was lost in 73. If the stadium stood the same today, im sure renovations would have been subtle. Kind of like wrigley and fenway. When I see RYS I dont not see the same stadium the great Yankees played in. Its not the same, never will be the same. Its a stadium from the 70s, the pods outside say it all. OYS was beautiful, I have no idea what they were thinking in the 70s. RYS is a funky design!
                              Last edited by 04golf; 04-13-2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Yogi Berra never played in the stadium as it stood Sunday night. He finished his career before it was remodeled in 1973. But the ballpark still holds the same meaning for him as the original stadium.

"It's still Yankee Stadium," he said. "It will always be in my heart."

Known for his unconventional sayings and "Yogi-isms," Berra was asked if he would have to amend the phrase "It ain't over 'til it's over," because even once the building is gone, the aura of Yankee Stadium will never fade.

Yogi Berra laughed.

"I say things I don't even know I say sometimes," he said. "But I'm sorry to see it over, I'll say that."

http://www.zimbio.com/Yogi+Berra/art...tadium+tribute

OMG! Yogi is dirty stinking "stadium hugger" lol!
                                Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X