Clear All

• Paul W
    replied
    ...that's what they do.

Leave a comment:

• SparkyL
    replied
    Originally posted by quagmire View Post
    Hmmm..... Interesting. They removed the poles that were there when I was there in August.......

That looks like a pile-driver that drives those tall posts deep into the ground so just those short stubs are left . . .

Leave a comment:

• stadiumbuilder
    replied
    Nice job again, Gary. But you shouldn't have mentioned that gate 2 flagpole. Now that it's been brought to their attention they'll probably be yanking it out of the ground and grinding it up today.

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    Hmmm..... Interesting. They removed the poles that were there when I was there in August.......

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    This thread is going nowhere. Every time I see the "new posts" icon, I'm hoping to see new photos showing how the site looks today. Instead I'm seeing all of this irrelevant falderal about Disney and other stuff that nobody cares about... at least, in the context of this thread.

*sigh*

I guess the old adage is true... if you want something done, you have to do it yourself.

And so, without further ado...

NEW PHOTOS!!!!!

TAKEN YESTERDAY (10/24/10)!!!!!

WHO'S GOT 'EM?????

I'VE GOT 'EM!

And now, so do you... let's begin with a view from the 161st Street subway station...

Looking down the on-field pedestrian walkway towards home plate and Metro-North... the walkway was closed, so I shot this through the fence...

From the new Macombs Dam Park, a look down the on-field pedestrian walkway leading from the Ruppert Place Garage towards the walkway that takes you to the present stadium and Metro-North...

Street-level view of the classic South Bronx skyline...

Here's something you don't see every day... an MTA worker carrying a big flag along the tracks of the #4 line... photo taken at River Avenue and 157th Street, you're looking towards Gate 6...

The famous mural on the wall of the bowling alley now serves as a backdrop for a playground instead of a valet parking lot...

One of the three flagpoles outside Gate 2 still stands... maybe we can start a campaign to save it...

Along the blue construction fences, there are a few diamond-shaped windows, so people can now gaze upon hallowed ground (and view the progress of Heritage Field)... this specific window is at the corner of River Avenue and 161st Street...

Here's a zoom-lens look at the corner of River Avenue and 161st Street as seen from a block away (Gerard Avenue)... note the Bx13 bus with the Yankee Stadium destination sign...

Speaking of Gerard Avenue, it was recently announced that New York City would be changing their street signs from all capital letters to upper and lower case... one of the first signs of the new style was installed on Gerard Avenue at 158th Street, a block away from the site of the old stadium...

Want more? Of course you do... and you can get 'em right here...

Leave a comment:

• RationalNYYfan
    replied
    Seems to me like buildings are always built with the intent of making them look 'futuristic.' That is, when they are first constructed, those who architect it said "This is what our vision of the future looks like." But in reality, the brutalist stuff (which I guess was their vision of the future at the time) is now nothing more than a building representative of back THEN more than anything we have today.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
    The smiles aren't fake and the workers aren't forced to do anything. With my only true gripe being the Yankee-esque ban on facial hair, Disney proved to be the most efficient and organized employer in my experience and my fellow cast members were the most dedicated co-workers that I have ever worked with.

Seriously.

-John Cropp
    WDW Entertainment 1998-2003
    Working in the employment law field in Florida and hearing first hand some of the horror stories from former "cast members", I think others might differ with that assessment, but I guess we'll just have agree to disagree on that one.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    As for my assertion of people forced to be happy at Disney, I was actually thinking more along the lines of long suffering employees--i.e. "cast members"--made to work under ridiculous rules and conditions but forced to put on a face of faked, almost Prozac-enduced cheerfulness in order to please the public. Although I can imagine many people reluctantly dragged along with family to the place being forced to put on a fake smile throughout the whole day. Not that I have any personal experience of that...or at least anything I want to consciously remember.
    The smiles aren't fake and the workers aren't forced to do anything. With my only true gripe being the Yankee-esque ban on facial hair, Disney proved to be the most efficient and organized employer in my experience and my fellow cast members were the most dedicated co-workers that I have ever worked with.

Seriously.

-John Cropp
    WDW Entertainment 1998-2003

Leave a comment:

• Jim Vaz
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    I was there last Saturday...Showed up at game time and didn't walk the site until later in the night.

Going back next week and will make a note to bring the camera. The site was illuminated by light towers last week because of the pathways running through the field. Looking in through gate opens the site looked unorganized and messy...Stuff thrown around everywhere.

I know it sounds odd but the site looked more organized during the demolition.

Had a rat join me for the walk as he was hugging the blue perimeter wall. Doesn't look like emptying garbage cans on the path is a top priority.
    Cool, thanks YS1923!

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
    hopefully someone who goes to the games next week can take some pics of the old stadium and what the progress is and what it currently looks like.
    AM I ASKING WAY TOO MUCH?
    Thanks
    I was there last Saturday...Showed up at game time and didn't walk the site until later in the night.

Going back next week and will make a note to bring the camera. The site was illuminated by light towers last week because of the pathways running through the field. Looking in through gate opens the site looked unorganized and messy...Stuff thrown around everywhere.

I know it sounds odd but the site looked more organized during the demolition.

Had a rat join me for the walk as he was hugging the blue perimeter wall. Doesn't look like emptying garbage cans on the path is a top priority.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Vaz
    replied
    hopefully someone who goes to the games next week can take some pics of the old stadium and what the progress is and what it currently looks like.
    AM I ASKING WAY TOO MUCH?
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    I am very familiar with Reedy Creek and the development of the Walt Disney World Resort and see similarities between Disney and the Yankees in how they have done whatever they can within the rules of the game to achieve the most rewarding experience for their fans (as well as their bank accounts).

It is your labeling of the Disney Company as a fascist dictatorship that I am calling out as well as your examples of "Soviet" style architecture. Whether in jest or not, I thought it was only fair to show some baseball-related examples of Disney design that are unSoviet. Your assertion that people are forced to appear happy is on par with the idea that people are forced to pay a lot of money to see the Yankees play at Yankee Stadium.
    It was in jest. I don't expect Disney World to be engaging in any flagrant human rights abuses of its subjects.

Well, maybe just to an extent. What Disney World got from the State of Florida with Reddy Creek is pretty much unprecedented. I don't think there is any other private corporation in the state that got the type of leeway and autonomy that Disney World got via Reedy Creek. Lord knows if any money changed hands with public officials under the table to make it happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. The result was a mess--acres of pristine Central Florida land bulldozed for a glorified, overpriced tourist trap. And I'll stand on my original assertion--some of the buildings on the Walt Disney World Resort property look like something straight out of plans generated by the Politburo.

As for my assertion of people forced to be happy at Disney, I was actually thinking more along the lines of long suffering employees--i.e. "cast members"--made to work under ridiculous rules and conditions but forced to put on a face of faked, almost Prozac-enduced cheerfulness in order to please the public. Although I can imagine many people reluctantly dragged along with family to the place being forced to put on a fake smile throughout the whole day. Not that I have any personal experience of that...or at least anything I want to consciously remember.

But 'nuff said. Read Team Rodent, by Carl Hiaasen (a true Florida treasure), which pretty much sums it all up.

So bringing it back to the Yankees, yes, the only Mickey I'll have any respect for is a Mantle, not a Mouse.....wait, on second thought, Mickey Rivers was a decent player in his own right.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    Eh, sorta kinda. You've probably never heard of the Reddy Creek Improvement District and how it came to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_C...ement_District

However, Disney knew that their plans for the land would be easier to carry out with more independence, and they petitioned the Florida State Legislature for the creation of the Reedy Creek Improvement District, which would have almost total autonomy within its borders. Chapter 67-764[1] of the Laws of Florida was signed into law by Governor Claude R. Kirk, Jr. on May 12, 1967, creating the District. On the same day, Governor Kirk also signed the incorporation acts for two cities inside the District: Bay Lake (Chapter 67-1104) and Reedy Creek (Chapter 67-1965). (The City of Reedy Creek was renamed to the City of Lake Buena Vista around 1970.)

The Improvement District has far-reaching powers. Through the District, Disney could construct almost anything within its borders, including a nuclear power plant (which it never built, opting instead for a more traditional plant that supplements power from outside of the District). The District, as with any municipal corporation, can issue tax-free bonds for internal improvements. This became a point of contention when a 1985 law limited the amount of tax-free bonds in Florida. The eligible bonds were chosen randomly, causing the District to beat out Orange County, which had planned to build low-income housing, in 1989.

In addition to the power of eminent domain outside the District, the one other power that the District was given (that it would not have had if it were simply the two cities) was an exemption to state zoning and land use laws. When the state later established the Development of Regional Impact study process, Disney, through the District, was able to avoid the paperwork and streamline the process to build theme parks and other attractions. On the other hand, county taxes, including property and sales taxes, still apply within the District.

(And yes, I know I'm getting pretty off-topic here. But given that its the umpteenth Yankee Stadium thread, who's counting?)
    I am very familiar with Reedy Creek and the development of the Walt Disney World Resort and see similarities between Disney and the Yankees in how they have done whatever they can within the rules of the game to achieve the most rewarding experience for their fans (as well as their bank accounts).

It is your labeling of the Disney Company as a fascist dictatorship that I am calling out as well as your examples of "Soviet" style architecture. Whether in jest or not, I thought it was only fair to show some baseball-related examples of Disney design that are unSoviet. Your assertion that people are forced to appear happy is on par with the idea that people are forced to pay a lot of money to see the Yankees play at Yankee Stadium.

The New York Yankees and the Disney Company are the most successful guys in their respective game and both receive criticism because of it and to tie this altogether, consider the Mr. Toad / Yankee Stadium connection:

Two much beloved venues of fun replaced by inarguably better facilities yet there are some who will accuse the decision makers of destroying their childhood memories for profit.

Think about it.

And then there's this:

That's some scary stuff right there.
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 10-14-2010, 10:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    It's not that interesting (they are a publicly traded company, not a political power) and you're probably right.
    Eh, sorta kinda. You've probably never heard of the Reddy Creek Improvement District and how it came to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_C...ement_District

However, Disney knew that their plans for the land would be easier to carry out with more independence, and they petitioned the Florida State Legislature for the creation of the Reedy Creek Improvement District, which would have almost total autonomy within its borders. Chapter 67-764[1] of the Laws of Florida was signed into law by Governor Claude R. Kirk, Jr. on May 12, 1967, creating the District. On the same day, Governor Kirk also signed the incorporation acts for two cities inside the District: Bay Lake (Chapter 67-1104) and Reedy Creek (Chapter 67-1965). (The City of Reedy Creek was renamed to the City of Lake Buena Vista around 1970.)

The Improvement District has far-reaching powers. Through the District, Disney could construct almost anything within its borders, including a nuclear power plant (which it never built, opting instead for a more traditional plant that supplements power from outside of the District). The District, as with any municipal corporation, can issue tax-free bonds for internal improvements. This became a point of contention when a 1985 law limited the amount of tax-free bonds in Florida. The eligible bonds were chosen randomly, causing the District to beat out Orange County, which had planned to build low-income housing, in 1989.

In addition to the power of eminent domain outside the District, the one other power that the District was given (that it would not have had if it were simply the two cities) was an exemption to state zoning and land use laws. When the state later established the Development of Regional Impact study process, Disney, through the District, was able to avoid the paperwork and streamline the process to build theme parks and other attractions. On the other hand, county taxes, including property and sales taxes, still apply within the District.

(And yes, I know I'm getting pretty off-topic here. But given that its the umpteenth Yankee Stadium thread, who's counting?)
    Last edited by PeteU; 10-14-2010, 08:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bandit12
    replied
    Well...if you look at Walt's original plan for EPCOT (which was somewhat done with Celebration, FL)....I could see the argument. At least Celebration was built in the last decade and avoided some seriously bad architecture.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X