X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Originally posted by OllieNYY View Post
    hmm, Disney and fascism. As much as I totally disagree it's an interesting argument and one probably not belonging in a ballpark thread...
    It's not that interesting (they are a publicly traded company, not a political power) and you're probably right.

Leave a comment:

• OllieNYY
    replied
    hmm, Disney and fascism. As much as I totally disagree it's an interesting argument and one probably not belonging in a ballpark thread...

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
    Oh, it's not all that bad.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    I'm very surprised North Korea's Ryugyong Hotel Tower didn't make the list.

Which I half-believe inspired this monstrosity at Disney World, the Dolphin Hotel:

Which I'm not surprised is at Disney; I've been arguing for years that Disney World is nothing but a fascist dictatorship itself. Really; I mean, substitute Kim Jong Il's face for Mickey Mouse and I say the two are interchangable. Lots of people forced to appear happy and nice, a fake, plastic exterior of utopia, usurpation of the local culture, it's own secret police, and plenty of Soviet style architecture like this:

Oh, it's not all that bad.

Leave a comment:

• PeteU
    replied
    Originally posted by locke40 View Post
    In fact, THIS SITE voted Boston City Hall the World's Ugliest Building. New York's Port Authority came in at #5; coming from someone who uses the Port Authority every single day, I think it should be higher than #5. It is filthy, pigeon-ridden, and just plain nasty.
    I'm very surprised North Korea's Ryugyong Hotel Tower didn't make the list.

Which I half-believe inspired this monstrosity at Disney World, the Dolphin Hotel:

Which I'm not surprised is at Disney; I've been arguing for years that Disney World is nothing but a fascist dictatorship itself. Really; I mean, substitute Kim Jong Il's face for Mickey Mouse and I say the two are interchangable. Lots of people forced to appear happy and nice, a fake, plastic exterior of utopia, usurpation of the local culture, it's own secret police, and plenty of Soviet style architecture like this:

Last edited by PeteU; 10-12-2010, 07:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bdhact1
    replied
    Most of Downtown Stamford was razed and replaced with Brutalist Architecture. Back then New England charm was considered old and obsolete.

Leave a comment:

• dpcv8
    replied
    A lot of that was in response to the urban riots of the late 60's and the student protest movment. They built buildings that could withstand an urban uprising, that was on purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    [QUOTE=NYFan1stYankFan2nd;1801939]...the TWA terminals at JFK.../QUOTE]

that's what can be good of that genre...

kind of reminds me of the velodrome/swim center at the big "owe"
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SteveJRogers
    replied
    Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    And that was just a branch of what I call "futurism" - the TWA terminals at JFK and LA, Shea and other '60s ballparks, and . . .
    For some reason the "who cares, its only a (insert building)" types bother me in relation to what interesting and beautiful architecture is.

Case in point, I said to a friend that it is a real shame that NYC's Penn Station, I was waiting for him there at the time, was once a freaking jewel of a place, more ornate and with more grandeur than Grand Central has, and now its essentially is an airport terminal. He really didn't get where I was going and said "who cares." And he's been in Grand Central dozens of times.

Also there was another time, I was walking down 5th Ave with the same guy, and for some reason I needed to get my bearings straight about where we were exactly and I can see part of the Public Library as we are walking. Now first of all, if you've seen Ghostbusters, and this guy has many times, you'd recognize the place, but we walk by and I say

"Okay, good, there's the library right."

He's response; "Uh...wha?"

"THE LIBRARY! Geez, Ghostbusters, the Lions, the whole thing!"

"Eh, just a building, I don't know. Libraries are libraries!"

I didn't say it, but I felt like going "NO! That isn't JUST your local suburban post-modern library or even reconstituted library, that is one of the most famous buildings in the world!"

Some people. Then again, its probably thanks to those types of people that situations like Renovated Yankee Stadium and Penn Station getting demolished happened.

Leave a comment:

• StadiumPage
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    An early artist drawing of a podless renovated Yankee Stadium from the 1972 Yankee yearbook. In this drawing but the gates have interior escalators.
    A similar 1970's pod can be seen attached to the proposed parking garage.

The best thing about this drawing is Yankee Stadium is still Yankee Stadium and Macombs Dam park is still Macombs Dam park. Something that can not be said today.

I'm not sure if StadiumGraveyard has this illustration. If not feel free to message me and I will send you a larger copy for your web site.
    I think another poster here provided the same image a few years ago. We have it in the "Already Opened; Models/Drawings" area:
    http://www.stadiumpage.com/stpages/yankee70.html

If you have a nice big version, please send it along though... Much appreciated!!

Leave a comment:

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul W View Post
    not directly, but look at what's left from late 60's early 70's - hideous soul-less brutalism that was promoted by his administration trying to be avant garde.
    And that was just a branch of what I call "futurism" - the TWA terminals at JFK and LA, Shea and other '60s ballparks, and . . .

Hoover FBI Bldg - DC

http://media.nowpublic.net/images/e1...1772699193.jpg

High Ridge Park, Stamford CT

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/14/re...l/14ridge.html

We certainly were a lot more starry-eyed about the future back then. It even influenced the Jetsons cartoon architecture.

The future is certainly a lot "colder" that that!

Leave a comment:

• Swoboda4
    replied
    looking north on river ave.
    jail is gone, a target store is there.
    the garage entrance is in the lower left of the pix on this site...
    http://www.correctionhistory.org/htm...hodhabsp5.html

was quite an ear full after a game...

almost everything involved with this project stank of lindsay era goofiness - from the unbelievable low-balling of the cost to the neighborhood "improvements" and the design style of the stadium building.
    I remember making that walk past the jail. Only did it once, and remembered to park elsewhere the next times. I remember the first time I saw Silence of the Lambs. Clarice's walk past the cells on her way to see Lector brought back Yankee memories!

I have never heard that 70's poured concrete architecure called "brutalist" before, but it is a perfect description. The Boston Duck Tours pointed out that their City Hall was the Ugliest Bldg in the World. Proudly making the most of it.

I call it "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" architecture, or simple "soviet concretism". Either way, it is pretty bad.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Rob R
    replied
    Originally posted by locke40 View Post
    In fact, THIS SITE voted Boston City Hall the World's Ugliest Building. New York's Port Authority came in at #5; coming from someone who uses the Port Authority every single day, I think it should be higher than #5. It is filthy, pigeon-ridden, and just plain nasty.

Not surprising, it's truly hideous. I agree with your take on the Port Authority as well - it's really nasty.

Speaking of the brutalist archecturial style that Paul W has mentioned, here's another building that should be ranked up there as one of NYC's worst - 1 Police Plaza....ugh:

Leave a comment:

• locke40
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob R View Post
    My lord. I've seen some terrible 70's architecture in NYC, particularly in lower Mahnattan and Queens, but this takes the cake.
    Last edited by locke40; 10-10-2010, 04:46 PM. Reason: Pigeon-Ridden

Leave a comment:

• Rob R
    replied
    yep, the post-modern brutalist archecturial style was in vogue with the political/academic class at the time.

boston has had to live with an awful city hall for decades...
    My lord. I've seen some terrible 70's architecture in NYC, particularly in lower Mahnattan and Queens, but this takes the cake.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X