No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pauie needs his number retired because the fans demand it.

People get over excited with guys when they first retire and overrate them, but even though he hadn't played in 7 years... the fans went apeshit when someone dared to wear #21. It's not like they haven't had time to put his career in perspective. They demand that his number be retired, give the fans what they want.

Comment

• Originally posted by coasterbill View Post
      Pauie needs his number retired because the fans demand it.

People get over excited with guys when they first retire and overrate them, but even though he hadn't played in 7 years... the fans went apeshit when someone dared to wear #21. It's not like they haven't had time to put his career in perspective. They demand that his number be retired, give the fans what they want.
      I don't think fans would have a problem with it if it wasn't a scrub wearing the number. Like if Austin Jackson comes up and wants 21, I'm sure the fans would let it go.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
        I'd say the late 80's-early 90's, not exactly sure what year.
        Oh yeah, and the picture's huge dude
        I'd say 1994...It was the first year that they moved the start time of night games to 7:05..They moved it back to 7:35 in 1995, after they settled the strike..I think in 2000 they moved it to 7 again...

Comment

• Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
          I don't think fans would have a problem with it if it wasn't a scrub wearing the number. Like if Austin Jackson comes up and wants 21, I'm sure the fans would let it go.
          I hope he does get 21. Now batting .389.

Is it a team rule that no Yankee wears 0?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbyb26 View Post
            I'd say 1994...It was the first year that they moved the start time of night games to 7:05..They moved it back to 7:35 in 1995, after they settled the strike..I think in 2000 they moved it to 7 again...
            I remember the Yankees going from 7:35 to 7:05 in the mid-90's, but I don't remember them going back to 7:35 at any point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
              Exactly. (smiley face because "exactly" was too short).

Comment

• Why are the lights on inside?

(Speaking of the pictures "mets16" took.)

It's eerie seeing the plaques stripped from the entrance to the old Yankee offices.
                No one can make you
                Do what they want to
                You know you're stronger
                Than the lies
                That they tell you

Comment

• Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
                  Why are the lights on inside?

(Speaking of the pictures "mets16" took.)

It's eerie seeing the plaques stripped from the entrance to the old Yankee offices.
                  My friend was saying the same thing. I guess it's like why stores leave lights on when they close. If someone gets in, you don't want to be looking for them in the dark.

Nothing groundbreaking, but here's a couple of shots I got by positioning my camera through the fencing of the upper deck...

also, after some super zooming in of these pictures, I came to see some blue and yellow under the "Bud" ad.... Anyone knows what was there before?
                  Last edited by mets16; 05-03-2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• I remember during the demolition of Shea, some lights were kept on as well. I don't mean the floodlights they had on the ramps.
                    No one can make you
                    Do what they want to
                    You know you're stronger
                    Than the lies
                    That they tell you

Comment

• So no one knows where the grass went or where they're storing the outfield wall pads? Is this a military secret or something?

Comment

• Originally posted by 410 FT View Post
                        So no one knows where the grass went or where they're storing the outfield wall pads? Is this a military secret or something?
                        I believe the grass was taken to an undisclosed location where it can keep growing for the near term and will eventually be sold. Not sure about the wall pads. There was a story in the NY Times recently about it. Not sure where the link was though.

Comment

• So they stopped updating the marquee. Sad.

And to answer your Bud question, it was a Bud Light ad until they stripped it recently. Same deal with the Countdown Clock, as you can see there is a USPS ad which was there for a good long while until last year.

Last edited by ChineseDemocracy; 05-03-2009, 07:19 PM. Reason: Wrong Picture
                          No one can make you
                          Do what they want to
                          You know you're stronger
                          Than the lies
                          That they tell you

Comment

• Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
                            So they stopped updating the marquee. Sad.

And to answer your Bud question, it was a Bud Light ad until they stripped it recently. Same deal with the Countdown Clock, as you can see there is a USPS ad which was there for a good long while until last year.

Yeah I know that, I want to know whats under the Bud ad now.

Comment

• An older Bud ad with those old block-style letters.
                              No one can make you
                              Do what they want to
                              You know you're stronger
                              Than the lies
                              That they tell you

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
                                I think I may have been at this game. It looks to me like it was one of the last games before the strike in August of 1994. The Yankees beat Baltimore in extra innings and drew a crowd of 34 thousand.
                                Originally posted by Robbyb26 View Post
                                Originally posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
                                I remember the Yankees going from 7:35 to 7:05 in the mid-90's, but I don't remember them going back to 7:35 at any point.
                                If you guys are right about the year being 1994, the exact date is likely August 8, 1994. The Yanks played Baltimore at home for two series that year. May of '94 then 8/8 and 8/9. Judging by the clothes worn by the crowd in the large picture, I'd say August rather than May. And re an above post, I guess I'm too old to see how today's clothes are so different .

I was at the August 9 game. It was Phil Rizzuto night and the attendance 50,000+. This was years after the Rizzuto number retirement day in 1985 when the "holy" cow knocked Phil onto his butt and Tom Seaver won his 300th game, by the way. But they did give out Phil Rizzuto posters. Anyway, the picture shows a much smaller crowd and it does look like the 34k. So by process of elimination, my guess is 8/8/1994 for that photo. And the strike did start a few days later on August 12.

Regarding night game start times, they did go from 7:35 to 7:05 about 2000 or so. I remember this as we've had a weeknight E-plan since 1998 and I generally take the subway up to the stadium for these games.

Regards,
                                Mark
                                Last edited by mackenzie; 05-03-2009, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X