Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mitch300 View Post
    Exactly. That's the problem though. People bitch about the prices but still fork over the money. If no one bought the stuff the prices would drop big time. I hate the greedy Steiners.
    The problem is Steiner has a monopoly. You don't like their price? Well tough, you can't buy it anywhere else. Steiner will rather not sell it or would probably rather burn extra inventory to keep supply low. People eventually pay

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernard Shakey View Post
      I respectfully, but completely disagree. Thanks for a great visit to your house last year. Go Tribe.
      I didn't know Neil Young was an Indians fan! Hello Mr. Shakey! Long may you run!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
        Are you interested?
        I guess I set myself up for that one.. Doh!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralphw View Post
          The biggest mistake in sports history ... EVER
          Worse than not allowing blacks to play until 1947?

Worse than the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth?

Worse than the Giants and Dodgers moving out west?

Worse than the Black Sox scandal?

Worse than Pete Rose betting on baseball?

I have to disagree.
          Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• I passed by a short while ago & they are erecting the 12' blue plywood wall along River near the old Yankee bullpen gate. One crew is driving the poles into the ground near 161st, while the other is installing the panels down near 157th St. They are starting in that corner & heading towards 161st. I also poked my head inside the security gate near Gate 2 & I didn't see or hear much noise going on.
            ------------------------------------------
            www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
            www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
            www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• [QUOTE=doctor_gogol;1520277]Worse than not allowing blacks to play until 1947?

I have to disagree.[/QUOT
              why? Yankee Stadium is the most hollowed building in baseball, it is the most important structure baseball has ever been played. the demolition of the true cathedral of baseball is certainly the biggest mistake in the history of the great American pastime.

Comment

• From the SI article - the money quote:

I don't like to blow smoke, but my death is unlike any loss seen before in America. I am tangible Americana, like Independence Hall, the Alamo or Graceland. I have been about more than baseball. The first papal mass ever celebrated in the Western Hemisphere? That was me. The first overtime game in NFL history? Me. The birthplace of the "DEE-fense! DEE-fense!" chant? Of the Bronx cheer? Of the triple-decker ballpark in this country? The electronic scoreboard, the replay video board, the "Win one for the Gipper" aphorism, what it means to get Wally Pipped, the standing applause on two-strike counts, the running leap onto home plate to punctuate a walk-off homer? Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me and me.

It's not only the Babe and the Mick and Derek Jeter who played inside my walls. It's Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali, John Philip Sousa and Pink Floyd, Knute Rockne and Vince Lombardi, Billy Graham and Nelson Mandela, John F. Kennedy and George W. Bush.

The Yankees are letting me die a quiet death.
                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• [QUOTE=yankees650B;1520284]
                  Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
                  Worse than not allowing blacks to play until 1947?

I have to disagree.[/QUOT
                  why? Yankee Stadium is the most hollowed building in baseball, it is the most important structure baseball has ever been played. the demolition of the true cathedral of baseball is certainly the biggest mistake in the history of the great American pastime.
                  lol... so wait demolishing Yankee Stadium is worse than telling someone that they couldn't play, that they were inferior and that they couldn't get a job with the team and support their families because of their skin color?

wow

Comment

• Ya dude, it's pretty dificult to defend your stance when faced against the Mistake Of All Mistakes (as far as I'm concerned) that didn't allow blacks to play in the majors.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                      Ya dude, it's pretty dificult to defend your stance when faced against the Mistake Of All Mistakes (as far as I'm concerned) that didn't allow blacks to play in the majors.
                      I agree. 100%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralphw View Post
                        Everyone is entitled to get something,” said Brandon Steiner, chief executive of Steiner Sports.
                        Where do I go to pick up my item that according to Mr. Steiner himself I am "entitled" to? And since I'm "entitled" to it I don't expect to have to pay for it.

Originally posted by Ralphw View Post
                        "People tend to snicker and laugh about a lot of things, but if you had Babe Ruth’s cleats in your living room, you don’t think that would be point of conversation?"
                        If I had Babe Ruth's cleats in my living room I would not want other cleats in my living room.
                        X

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                          Where do I go to pick up my item that according to Mr. Steiner himself I am "entitled" to? And since I'm "entitled" to it I don't expect to have to pay for it.

That's so true I would like to know where is my "entitled" piece of RYS as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYaDiO View Post
                            That's so true I would like to know where is my "entitled" piece of RYS as well.
                            Truth is, there are going to be millions upon millions of pebbles and pieces/chunks/parts/etc.. of Yankee Stadium in the rubble during demolition. More than enough to give a free little piece to every last person in NYC. But of course why give when you can throw it out and raise the value of the other things you're selling

Comment

• Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                              Truth is, there are going to be millions upon millions of pebbles and pieces/chunks/parts/etc.. of Yankee Stadium in the rubble during demolition. More than enough to give a free little piece to every last person in NYC. But of course why give when you can throw it out and raise the value of the other things you're selling
                              all I want is a chunk of the cement wall around the outside

Comment

• [QUOTE=coasterbill;1520360]
                                Originally posted by yankees650B View Post

lol... so wait demolishing Yankee Stadium is worse than telling someone that they couldn't play, that they were inferior and that they couldn't get a job with the team and support their families because of their skin color?

wow
                                Because if they could have played some of the hallowed Yankee records may not have happened. Would Joe D have hit in 56 straight games if Satchel Paige pitched against him twice? Or would Roger Maris have been chasing Josh Gobson's record? Sorry for the side track, get back to the stadium that was built in the 70s on the foundation of the real Yankee Stadium.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X