Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    That "Courage Tradition Heart" sign above the entrance to the Yankees Offices is already up for auction... current high bid is $2,500 (link)...

    Moving right along... it's just so weird that one of the items Steiner is offering is a sign promoting Yankee Steiner Collectibles... you can get one of your very own for $500s... but you'd better hurry because they've only got 5 or less, so you'd better order now while you still can... (link)

    that really is sickening

    these people turn my stomach

    Looks like Mr Steiner is pretty proud of himself for his hand in this
    Last edited by Ralphw; 05-15-2009, 09:20 PM.

    Comment


    • I know it's more team related than a piece of the Stadium, but I'd love to know if Chris Chambliss still has the helmet he was wearing when he hit the pennant winning homer in 1976. This dude tried to grab it, came so close, but Chris held onto it. Who has that helmet today, and what is it worth? And, who is that kid? Is he a BBF member these days?
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Mygirljess View Post
        I know it's more team related than a piece of the Stadium, but I'd love to know if Chris Chambliss still has the helmet he was wearing when he hit the pennant winning homer in 1976. This dude tried to grab it, came so close, but Chris held onto it. Who has that helmet today, and what is it worth? And, who is that kid? Is he a BBF member these days?
        that actually looks a little like my dad

        Comment


        • Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
          Something does seem (is) very wrong about all of this. How the heck did we go down this road? And where the heck did we end up? Yankee Stadium is a landmark and landmarks can't be replaced. They are considered as such because of their significance, unique qualities and place in history. The House That Ruth Built is about to become another gaping hole in American baseball history. For me personally, this particular change is not for the better. I never considered the narrow concourses, steep upper deck, sightlines or anything else to be a problem until I was told that they're problems. This is kind of like replacing a loyal and loving wife with a supermodel. It'll look like a huge upgrade, but when you've had enough of that 89 IQ, you'll find yourself talking alot about the old days.
          Well said, dead on.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Mygirljess View Post
            I know it's more team related than a piece of the Stadium, but I'd love to know if Chris Chambliss still has the helmet he was wearing when he hit the pennant winning homer in 1976. This dude tried to grab it, came so close, but Chris held onto it. Who has that helmet today, and what is it worth? And, who is that kid? Is he a BBF member these days?
            As he was rounding third I was jumping over the right field wall

            Comment


            • Looks like someone has made the a site about this finally......www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

              Pretty good idea, i bet he gets a lot of traffic with that.

              Comment


              • Reminds me of Shea Demolition

                When I saw the photos from newsradio88 of the seats being removed from RYS, I got the same feeling that I had when I saw the seats first being removed from Shea Stadium. You knew the day was coming, but when it hits, you still get that sad feeling. Though both new facilities are more modern, we all grew up and enjoyed our respective teams in the old parks. It is kind of seeing the house you grew up in, coming down. Though you love your new home, you still have a place in your heart where you grew up. As a Mets fan, I know many Yankees fans will get the same feeling as their beloved stadium comes down as I had when I saw Shea being slowly torn apart.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by bigshea1964 View Post
                  When I saw the photos from newsradio88 of the seats being removed from RYS, I got the same feeling that I had when I saw the seats first being removed from Shea Stadium. You knew the day was coming, but when it hits, you still get that sad feeling. Though both new facilities are more modern, we all grew up and enjoyed our respective teams in the old parks. It is kind of seeing the house you grew up in, coming down. Though you love your new home, you still have a place in your heart where you grew up. As a Mets fan, I know many Yankees fans will get the same feeling as their beloved stadium comes down as I had when I saw Shea being slowly torn apart.
                  I think Yankee fans are going to have it alot worse then Mets fans, Big Shea. Aside from the fact that Yankee Stadium had twice the history as Shea Stadium (thus twice as many memories for Yankee fans inside that building), Met fans got 'lucky' in that Shea was torn down during ONE entire OFF season. So, unless fans chose to stop by & view the demolition (or follow it on the Shea Demolition thread), they weren't forced to be exposed to it. I know several Mets fans who told me they said their goodbyes late last season & had NO interest in going to the site to watch any aspect of the demo. They preferred to remember her " as she was".

                  Most Mets fans went to Shea last season & saw two ballparks standing there & returned this year to see that one was totally gone. They weren't FORCED to see the Ol' Girl get ripped apart .... like a road kill on the side of the road, getting ravished by bugs & the elements over a long period of time until nothing was left. Yankee fans also have it worse because I'm hearing it will take up to a full YEAR to remove it, due to reason that they can not use a wrecking ball (too close to the El), nor explosives, of course. So, come next Opening Day (2010), there should STILL be parts of the building standing & Yankee fans will have to continue to watch it get picked apart. That's cruel.

                  Like removing a band-aid, sometimes it's just better to do things quick & get it over with, rather than slowly & painfully. Yankee fans, unfortunately, will have to deal with the slow & painful method.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                  www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                  www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

                  ------------------------------------------

                  Comment


                  • steiner

                    Did I really read that steiner is selling pieces of the freize, and listing them as from 1923? If so, it's definitely false advertising. I'm sure they would just say it was a mis-understanding in the wording. I just hope nobody falls for it, and gives them what the price they want. It really isn't worth much, in my opinion.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by NYaDiO View Post
                      That's so true I would like to know where is my "entitled" piece of RYS as well.
                      You could've broke off a piece of the crusty, 30 years worth of paint/concrete that comprised the "Armitron" sign in front of the RF bleachers like a lot of people were doing last year, at least when I was sitting there. Or broke off a piece of the concrete on the outside of the stadium. Lots of people were doing it, personally I felt kind of weird about it though... Didn't want to take part in violating the old girl.

                      Comment


                      • looks like steiner changed their webpage, good job guys!

                        http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/bronxfinal

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by willpryce1 View Post
                          Did I really read that steiner is selling pieces of the freize, and listing them as from 1923? If so, it's definitely false advertising. I'm sure they would just say it was a mis-understanding in the wording. I just hope nobody falls for it, and gives them what the price they want. It really isn't worth much, in my opinion.
                          where did you see this?

                          Comment


                          • ad

                            I saw it on a website ad for steiner selling yankee stadium memorabilia. They had a picture of the stadium, with different sections circled, then a line drawn from the circle - to the outside of the picture, then each section had a description of what it was (with 'facts' like freize from 1923), and how big the section that you buy is, & price.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Ralphw View Post
                              where did you see this?
                              It was also in either the NY Daily News or the NY Post. I don't remember which one. More than likely, it was The Post.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by trueblue9441 View Post
                                looks like steiner changed their webpage, good job guys!

                                http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/bronxfinal
                                Well the "Ruth Built It, STEINER-YANKEES TOOK IT DOWN!" thing was from the Steiner Auctions site, not the regular site. But they've even changed that now to just "The House That Ruth Built".

                                Seen here: http://auction.steinersports.com/

                                Compared to this thing

                                |
                                |
                                V
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X