X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob R View Post
    T...It's a crying shame that OYS was directly affected by the awful, tacky, soulless style of the 70's...
    yep, the post-modern brutalist archecturial style was in vogue with the political/academic class at the time.

boston has had to live with an awful city hall for decades...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Rob R
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul W View Post
    looking north on river ave.
    jail is gone, a target store is there.
    the garage entrance is in the lower left of the pix on this site...
    http://www.correctionhistory.org/htm...hodhabsp5.html

was quite an ear full after a game...

almost everything involved with this project stank of lindsay era goofiness - from the unbelievable low-balling of the cost to the neighborhood "improvements" and the design style of the stadium building.

Thanks for all the background history you always provide.

Even from afar, the top half of RYS looks hideous in that photo. It's a crying shame that OYS was directly affected by the awful, tacky, soulless style of the 70's.

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    Lindsay probably had nothing do with the way RYS turned out appearance-wise. Folks wanted a column-free ballpark, that's the way it was accomplished.
    not directly, but look at what's left from late 60's early 70's - hideous soul-less brutalism that was promoted by his administration trying to be avant garde.

Leave a comment:

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
    replied

and the design style of the stadium building.
    Lindsay probably had nothing do with the way RYS turned out appearance-wise. Folks wanted a column-free ballpark, that's the way it was accomplished.

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    Please put that image in context - where am I standing in relation to the Stadium? Which way am I facing?
    jail is gone, a target store is there.
    the garage entrance is in the lower left of the pix on this site...
    http://www.correctionhistory.org/htm...hodhabsp5.html

was quite an ear full after a game...

almost everything involved with this project stank of lindsay era goofiness - from the unbelievable low-balling of the cost to the neighborhood "improvements" and the design style of the stadium building.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
    replied
    something not mentioned in the bond sale brochure about this image was how much fun it'll be to walk by the jail and be verbally assaulted by the prisoners.
    anybody who parked in the garage next to the jail knows what i'm talking about.

the entire scheme for the 70's reno was made up with generalities and lies.
    Please put that image in context - where am I standing in relation to the Stadium? Which way am I facing?

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    You know out all the things Steinbrenner could have sold from the demo are surprisingly not there. I would pay money for a piece of cement from the old stadium( especially a piece from the windows). Or a piece of the steel holding the stadium up. Steinbrenner could have made enough money to build NYS again.

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    something not mentioned in the bond sale brochure about this image was how much fun it'll be to walk by the jail and be verbally assaulted by the prisoners.
    anybody who parked in the garage next to the jail knows what i'm talking about.

the entire scheme for the 70's reno was made up with generalities and lies.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    He always complained about the surrounding Bronx neighborhood and not about Yankee Stadium after it's renovation and reopening in 1976. Interestingly enough if the City didn't abandon the original plans to clean up the surrounding neighborhood during the renovation it's possible the Yankee would have extended a lease on Yankee Stadium. That abandonement really ticked off Steinbrenner and his controlling attitude.... Also a new lease was going to be signed but Steinbrenner balked after he secretly renegotiated a new cable deal in the late 1980's. He didn't want to fork over 10% of the $500 million deal to the City....A term of the lease.

But who needs a lease when we have Big Businees Bloomberg. The Yankees had no leverage in negotiations but the City bent over backwards and gave the Yankees everything they wanted!

You can thank the 10 year work in progress of Randy Levine for the demolition of Yankee Stadium and the new building of the Palace.
    stien"grabber"s only interest in the neighborhood was how it effected his customers. he also conveniently ignored that his intrusion into the baseball affairs gutted the talent level of the roster and that was the main reason for attendance decline. his ego would not accept that he was at the least partially responsible for this so blaming the surroundings was an easy scapegoat. when they started winning again, customers started to show up again. SURPRISE!

neither mike burke or george cared about those who owned property, worked and/or lived there (see article).
    when the federal $$$'s for the neighborhood dried up, the leftover was diverted to the stadium building. george glady took the tax $$$'s.

read this - http://books.google.com/books?id=y-g...201976&f=false
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    Originally posted by quagmire View Post
    Was there ever a reason stated why the exterior design was never done that way? I know engineering wise, the upper deck had to be extended, etc to remove the columns. But, why didn't they do the internal escalators?

Personally am not a fan of that proposed interior design. I liked the way the renovated interior came out( besides the frieze not being on the roof, but at the time, engineering wasn't good enough to strengthen the roof so it could be on the roof). It is the exterior with those pods that I am not a fan of.....
    Early artists drawings usually never match what will actually be built. I'm sure these concepts were changed after the engineers studied the structure and finally decided on the best renovation plan.

I'm not a fan of the internal escalator design in that drawing but it would have been cool to have internal escalators upon entering each Gate with no modification of any of the Gates during the renovation.

Minus the Pods there was nothing 1970's about the Modernization of Yankee Stadium. A fraction of square footage was sacraficed with the addition of the pods. The original exterior was still the dominant feature of renovated Yankee Stadium. The removal of the old wooden seats was inevitable for every ballpark.

I'm going to post some more images from Yankee yearbooks in the Post Renovation thread.
    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 10-09-2010, 09:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    Was there ever a reason stated why the exterior design was never done that way? I know engineering wise, the upper deck had to be extended, etc to remove the columns. But, why didn't they do the internal escalators?

Personally am not a fan of that proposed interior design. I liked the way the renovated interior came out( besides the frieze not being on the roof, but at the time, engineering wasn't good enough to strengthen the roof so it could be on the roof). It is the exterior with those pods that I am not a fan of.....
    Last edited by quagmire; 10-09-2010, 09:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    An early artist drawing of a podless renovated Yankee Stadium from the 1972 Yankee yearbook. In this drawing but the gates have interior escalators.
    A similar 1970's pod can be seen attached to the proposed parking garage.

The best thing about this drawing is Yankee Stadium is still Yankee Stadium and Macombs Dam park is still Macombs Dam park. Something that can not be said today.

I'm not sure if StadiumGraveyard has this illustration. If not feel free to message me and I will send you a larger copy for your web site.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 10-09-2010, 09:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    Originally posted by quagmire View Post
    Considering he was looking to dump OYS back in the 80's, that doesn't surprise me.
    He always complained about the surrounding Bronx neighborhood and not about Yankee Stadium after it's renovation and reopening in 1976. Interestingly enough if the City didn't abandon the original plans to clean up the surrounding neighborhood during the renovation it's possible the Yankee would have extended a lease on Yankee Stadium. That abandonement really ticked off Steinbrenner and his controlling attitude.... Also a new lease was going to be signed but Steinbrenner balked after he secretly renegotiated a new cable deal in the late 1980's. He didn't want to fork over 10% of the $500 million deal to the City....A term of the lease.

But who needs a lease when we have Big Businees Bloomberg. The Yankees had no leverage in negotiations but the City bent over backwards and gave the Yankees everything they wanted!

You can thank the 10 year work in progress of Randy Levine for the demolition of Yankee Stadium and the new building of the Palace.

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    from ny mag 5/73...
    Considering he was looking to dump OYS back in the 80's, that doesn't surprise me.

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    from ny mag 5/73...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X