Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YanksRule
    • Jun 2007

It has been officially one year since Yankee Stadium closed =( Amazing how much difference 1 year makes

Comment

• The Korean
      No more losing streak
      • Apr 2009

Why is it taking so damn long? It took a year to take down only what, 1/6 of the building.

Comment

• YanksRule
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by The Korean View Post
        Why is it taking so damn long? It took a year to take down only what, 1/6 of the building.
        They are saving everything for memorabilia, there are no implosions allowed in NYC, the building is within feet of a subway station and just a neighborhood so they have to be careful, there was a lot of asbestos and other toxic material to be removed first, plus they don't do any heavy deconstruction when there is a home game.. how miserable would it be to be at the ballgame across the street and to hear the old home being taken apart?

Comment

• Bleeding Pinstripes
          • Oct 2008

well its more like they are disecting the building rather then demolishing it

Comment

• cgcoyne2
            Jonathan E's number 1 fan
            • Mar 2008

They're still getting all the old Babe Ruth hotdog wrappers out and all the babes that Joe Pepitone boinked under the stands. It's a long, tedious process my friend .
            Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• voodoochile
              • Mar 2005

2.5 million dollars and 284 working days to construct it. They've already exceeded at least one of those figures, and the other is not far behind.

Implosion is illegal, and with the "hairnet" wrapped around the place it appears that a wrecking ball is also out of the question, unless, of course, the net goes with it.

I know better, but sometimes I think that they're taking their sweet ass time just to make us squirm. At the rate they're going most of us will be dead before they finish. I also have a strange feeling that there's a surprise in store before it's all over. Not necessarily a good surprise, but a surprise just the same. None of this looks right. I think somethings going on.

Comment

• YankeeFanBx
                • Mar 2008

Maybe they'll rebuild the original stadium and tear the new one down.
                That would make a lot of folks very happy.
                :gt:gt

Comment

• JoeDOYS
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                  I also have a strange feeling that there's a surprise in store before it's all over. Not necessarily a good surprise, but a surprise just the same. None of this looks right. I think somethings going on.
                  Do you know something we dont?

My big question is this: How exactly are they going to bring down all that upper deck without getting people in the surrounding area killed? I cant even imagine the weight of what is up there with that 100 year old concrete...all supported by thick steel cables.

I know the idea of jacking it up from underneath has been tossed around but has something of this scale been attempted before?
                  www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• jnakamura
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                    Do you know something we dont?

My big question is this: How exactly are they going to bring down all that upper deck without getting people in the surrounding area killed? I cant even imagine the weight of what is up there with that 100 year old concrete...all supported by thick steel cables.

I know the idea of jacking it up from underneath has been tossed around but has something of this scale been attempted before?
                    It's really not as much of a big deal to disassemble it as it seems for a crew that knows what it's doing. It looks like such a massive solid "thing" to bring down, but the upper deck is really mostly empty space when you think about it.
                    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                    - Walt Whitman

Comment

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                      It's really not as much of a big deal to disassemble it as it seems for a crew that knows what it's doing. It looks like such a massive solid "thing" to bring down, but the upper deck is really mostly empty space when you think about it.
                      I think what he's referring to(correct me if I'm wrong) is the complexity with how the upper deck was renovated in the mid-70s.

It was a real balancing act! The rows from K(or L) and above are supported by a spine/frame that weighs = to everything from K down to the front row "NO OBJECTS ON LEDGE" signs. Even the vertical wall behind the top(back) row plus the awning & light arrays above it are figured into the weight of that '70s extension. Just look how thick those spines are compared to everything forward(downward) of them.(blue members = modifications).

The grandstand would remain intact/upright as is in that image. Add a semi-live load(spectators) to that and it will tip forward instantly. The cables(plus the weight of the new upper concourse they connect to) serve the primary role of holding that deck back when loaded with crowds. See bottom slide for aforementioned cables.

Now you all see what a beast disassembling all this will be! (At least compared to Shea, Tiger Stadium, etc). Removing only A - K or only L - U(V? W?) would create a out-of-balance condition that would bring the rest of the granstand down most expeditiously. Crashing either out into surrounding streets or inward toward the playing surface.

In any case the tension cables must remain in place until most of the upper deck(below K-L and above it) are gone. Jackposting - about where the old columns existed - would certainly simplify the process, and allow a top(lights, awning, vertical wall, upper 10 rows)-down disassembly.

Will such common sense pervail? Stay tuned!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 09-22-2009, 02:55 PM.
                      RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• The Monument
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
                        They're still getting all the old Babe Ruth hotdog wrappers out and all the babes that Joe Pepitone boinked under the stands. It's a long, tedious process my friend .
                        True. Lots of Coney Island Whitefish to clean up, and I don't mean the Babes wrappers.
                        Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• SparkyL
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                          I think what he's referring to(correct me if I'm wrong) is the complexity with how the upper deck was renovated in the mid-70s.

It was a real balancing act! The rows from K(or L) and above are supported by a spine/frame that weighs = to everything from K down to the front row "NO OBJECTS ON LEDGE" signs. Even the vertical wall behind the top(back) row plus the awning & light arrays above it are figured into the weight of that '70s extension. Just look how thick those spines are compared to everything forward(downward) of them.(blue members = modifications).

The grandstand would remain intact/upright as is in that image. Add a semi-live load(spectators) to that and it will tip forward instantly. The cables(plus the weight of the new upper concourse they connect to) serve the primary role of holding that deck back when loaded with crowds. See bottom slide for aforementioned cables.

Now you all see what a beast disassembling all this will be! (At least compared to Shea, Tiger Stadium, etc). Removing only A - K or only L - U(V? W?) would create a out-of-balance condition that would bring the rest of the granstand down most expeditiously. Crashing either out into surrounding streets or inward toward the playing surface.

In any case the tension cables must remain in place until most of the upper deck(below K-L and above it) are gone. Jackposting - about where the old columns existed - would certainly simplify the process, and allow a top(lights, awning, vertical wall, upper 10 rows)-down disassembly.

That is a great write up and ever better pics!!

Comment

• JohnCropp
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post

Those images are probably the best pre-to-post-renovation comparisons that I've seen!

Thank you!

Comment

• Maxlugar
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
                              Those images are probably the best pre-to-post-renovation comparisons that I've seen!

Thank you!
                              I agree! Wow great job!
                              Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• voodoochile
                                • Mar 2005

I have absolutely no idea what, if anything, it attached to the ends of those cables, but I read an article shortly after the renovation that they were encased in cement and buried deep in the ground.
                                I'm wondering if they have a means of relieving the tension of the cables by way of a turnbuckle of some sort, allowing them to slowly lower the upper deck to the ground, or at least partially. If not, then maybe release the tension abruptly and allow a controlled collapse inside the walls.
                                Why hasn't anything been made public in regards to how they will perform the task of rendering a very huge concrete structure into a pile of rubble without explosives? What are they going to do, chip away at the concrete walls until the steel structure is exposed, then shear off the rivets and unbolt the nuts and haul it away piece by piece? You would think that they'd be bragging about what they're about to do, but instead it is all very secretive.
                                Every structure that has been demolished, whether it be a stadium, a hotel, a bank or any hi-rise, they publicize it. Why not this? There's something funny going on.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X