Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] (1976 - 2008)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yankee Stadium [I] (1976 - 2008)

    We've got threads about the pre-renovation Yankee Stadium and the actual renovation of Yankee Stadium, so I thought it only fitting and proper that the post-renovation version have its own dedicated thread.

    And just because a thread has to start somewhere, I thought I'd post a few pictures I took of last Saturday's game.


    What better place to begin than at the end? The very last rows all the way at the right field end, that is...


    (Photo taken June 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)


    View from Tier Reserved MVP Section 2, row S, seat 1...


    (Photo taken June 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)


    You can walk on the Field Level without a ticket, but the aisles leading to the seats closest to the field are kept chained to keep the riff raff out...


    (Photo taken June 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)


    The view from just behind Field Championship box 6 (these are $325 seats)...


    (Photo taken June 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)


    Ken Griffey, Jr.'s got an 0-2 count...


    (Photo taken June 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)


    Before the game, Babe Ruth's family presented Alex Rodriguez with the 2007 Babe Ruth Home Award, and later they had the honor of working the countdown clock. From left to right on the Diamond Vision screen: Ruth's great grandson Brent Stevens, grandson Tom Stevens, daughter Julia Ruth Stevens (age 91), great granddaughter Amanda Stevens.


    (Photo taken June 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)


    View from the seats in Field Box 138. Note the TV cameraman conveniently situated directly in front of the fans... I guess $90 doesn't buy you much these days...


    (Photo taken June 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)


    If you're not interested in looking at the cameraman's butt, an extra five bucks ($95 total) will get you a front row seat in the Main Boxes closer to the infield, where you'll have an excellent view of other fans walking in the aisle...


    (Photo taken June 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)


    A wide-angle view looking directly down the left field line...

    (Photo taken June 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)


    Finally... a foul ball snugly rests atop the netting above the seats behind home plate...


    (Photo taken June 21, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)
    Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 09-15-2008, 08:34 AM. Reason: to correct a Typographical error, or "typo"
    X

  • #2
    Don't people say things to you like "Dude, why the hell are you taking so many pictures?" and "Why are you taking pictures of a foul ball caught in a net" and "Dude, do you have a life?".

    And "Dude, we gotta meet up. I've been at 5 games this here that you've been to and haven't seen you and your camera."

    Comment


    • #3
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-EG4z_BFRo

      cool commercial. lots of the YS frieze. LOTS.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by yankees82 View Post
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-EG4z_BFRo

        cool commercial. lots of the YS frieze. LOTS.
        It's sad the old Yankee Stadium frieze is no more, and that it doesn't exist in the collective minds of those who aren't obsessed (i.e. baseball-fever.com). If it did, the straight sections in that commercial would be the longated frieze, not the shortened ones that were used when the stadium curved around homeplate and the foul poles.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Yankee Stadium - Gate 2

          Hi,

          I'm not sure if my memory is correct on this, so I will ask the question.

          In the 80's, was Gate 2 in LF only open on select games with bigger crowds? I think I remember it really not being open. Along with the LF bleachers, also only open on large attendance days.

          - Thanks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Here's YS from the mid 80's. That's Mattingly rounding the bases and Rickey Henderson scoring.


            1988 opening day


            1994 Tartabull at bat (w/ Mattingly on deck)


            Angels vs Yanks 1982


            Reggie: getting hassled or getting some love?


            Rod Carew


            Pre-game


            1986 aerial


            1987


            Comment


            • #7
              This is the only Yankee Stadium that I know.

              It's the Yankee Stadium of Reggie, Willie, Donny, Righetti, Winfield, Chambliss, Nettles, July 4th, the infamous George Brett blowup, Sweet Lou, Phil Rizzutto being tripped over by a cow, the blue seats, the riotious fans, the chants of "Bases Loaded Walk!" and "Who's Your Daddy?!" (in addition to the obligatory "Boston Sucks!"). This is the Stadium of the Bleacher Creatures, the very cast of individuals who yell out the roll cast and verbally abuse people who sit in box seats. It's also the same stadium in which people could still buy tickets at face value on the day of the game but now that tradition has went the way of the dodo.

              Yes. This is the only Yankee Stadium that I know. I never knew of a "previous" Yankee Stadium that existed until I started using Internet service. Yes, I can still imagine massive waves of individuals who appear to have just got out of the insane asylum at the ballgame having a good time and verbally abusing opposing players. The "We Are #1" attitude that the city is most famous for. Once upon a time when I didn't know any better, the Yankees were playing the Brewers and were clobbering them. As a boy, I didn't know that blowout were a part of the game. So I started to cry as I remember Yankee players going around the bases multiple times. My father who sat with me thought something was wrong with me. It wasn't like I had any special sympathy for the Brew Crew, just that I thought it was unfair or something. But that shows you the power of the game when it can create all kinds of emotions.

              I didn't know of any previous version of Yankee Stadium. So, naturally, when I heard rumors about its replacement, I began thinking that they'd be crazy to leave a perfectly good ballpark. Even today, the vast majority of teams would kill to play their home games at Yankee Stadium, including this version of it, with its rabid, fanatical followers who show up before it was cool to show up at Yankee Stadium.
              For a realistic sports ticket and merchandise market

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
                Reggie: getting hassled or getting some love?

                I must kill........the Queen.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                  I must kill........the Queen.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Twilight Zone like day

                    Originally posted by Transic View Post
                    This is the only Yankee Stadium that I know.

                    It's the Yankee Stadium of Reggie, Willie, Donny, Righetti, Winfield, Chambliss, Nettles, July 4th, the infamous George Brett blowup, Sweet Lou, Phil Rizzutto being tripped over by a cow, the blue seats, the riotious fans, the chants of "Bases Loaded Walk!" and "Who's Your Daddy?!" (in addition to the obligatory "Boston Sucks!"). This is the Stadium of the Bleacher Creatures, the very cast of individuals who yell out the roll cast and verbally abuse people who sit in box seats. It's also the same stadium in which people could still buy tickets at face value on the day of the game but now that tradition has went the way of the dodo.

                    Yes. This is the only Yankee Stadium that I know. I never knew of a "previous" Yankee Stadium that existed until I started using Internet service. Yes, I can still imagine massive waves of individuals who appear to have just got out of the insane asylum at the ballgame having a good time and verbally abusing opposing players. The "We Are #1" attitude that the city is most famous for. Once upon a time when I didn't know any better, the Yankees were playing the Brewers and were clobbering them. As a boy, I didn't know that blowout were a part of the game. So I started to cry as I remember Yankee players going around the bases multiple times. My father who sat with me thought something was wrong with me. It wasn't like I had any special sympathy for the Brew Crew, just that I thought it was unfair or something. But that shows you the power of the game when it can create all kinds of emotions.

                    I didn't know of any previous version of Yankee Stadium. So, naturally, when I heard rumors about its replacement, I began thinking that they'd be crazy to leave a perfectly good ballpark. Even today, the vast majority of teams would kill to play their home games at Yankee Stadium, including this version of it, with its rabid, fanatical followers who show up before it was cool to show up at Yankee Stadium.
                    Very poignant and well put transic! It brought back to mind a day in October last, upon having toured around Shea about and hour and taking photographs, a quick subway ride crosstown, here I was standing right in front of Yankee Stadium. After all those years so long ago attending ballgames in both San Fran and Oakland . . . and only hearing or reading about the fabled Yankee park, I was actually standing before it.

                    What made it weird was that it was October and no ball was being played, whats more the Rockies who play in the town I know reside were up 2-0 to Arizona in the NLCS and Boston was getting trashed by Cleveland! Life was good that sunny October day. That particular timing was absolute accidental but who would have thunk it? Things would change in the coming days and weeks but for then it was fabulous!

                    But it felt like having your hands tied behind your back with a sizzling sirloin steak placed before you. It was during this day that I made my mind up to come back and actually see a game there before the demolition crews invade.

                    I read on here where folks complain about the renovations done during the 70's and they are probably well justified. But all I seen was Yankee Stadium. I do believe I expected to see ole Rod Serling any moment that day, ha!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by DiggerODell; 06-29-2008, 02:03 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      When was the "353 ft" sign removed in right field? And why was it removed? I liked that sign. It gave you some perspective on how short the right field porch actually is in Yankee Stadium.
                      Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Cross-posting this from the YS pre-reno thread, but it's such a great pic it should be here, as the last boxing event at YS, Ali/Norton Sept. '76. Thanks to LPeters for the heads-up.

                        017042082.jpg

                        Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                        https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                          We've got threads about the pre-renovation Yankee Stadium and the post-renovation Yankee Stadium, so I thought it only fitting and proper that the post-renovation version have its own dedicated thread.

                          And just because a thread has to start somewhere, I thought I'd post a few pictures I took of last Saturday's game.

                          Gary, you're unbelieveable. Great work. Keep it up.:bowdown:
                          Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
                            Gary, you're unbelieveable. Great work. Keep it up.:bowdown:
                            That's exactly what the lady I was with last night said...
                            X

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                              That's exactly what the lady I was with last night said...
                              My kind of guy. Taking in a game and getting some too!!!!!

                              HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
                              Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X