New D.C. ballpark - not too impressive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New D.C. ballpark - not too impressive

Why is it that so many of these more recent "retro" ballparks suck? The Orioles have nothing to fear because Camden Yards, although far from perfect, is far superior to what is going to be built in the District. It looks like a federal office building.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031400589.html

These new parks can be said to suck because they could be of the following:

a) bland/generic
    b) not innovative enough or at all
    c) the dimensions of the ballpark can be generic
    d) No double-deckers like Tiger Stadium, HOK hates double deckers (and why, I don't know, I'd sure have double deckers in my fantasy ballpark)

Personally, I'm not too confident about this new stadium, it just looks like all the other new stadiums barring the slight quirks and adjustments. To tell you the truth, this stadium looks like an overhyped headquarters for the Post Office or like a federal office. It camouflages too much into the DC scenery. Just my thoughts.
    My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

They never intended to build a retro park.

They designed it with the monuments and building surrounding it in mind.

Considering the intention, I think it looks pretty damn good.

"I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Wow, that stadium really sucks. I mean after all the talk about creating an "iconic" stadium, it's a very uninspiring (typically from HOK these days) design. Where's the originality in HOK's designs? Answer: nowhere. This stadium looks just like any other generic stadium. Boring. It's no wonder that since every ballpark designed and built in the last 15 years has been done by the same company, their designs are now stale and tired.

Same old grandstand shape. Same old UN-cantilevered decks. Same old smallish super-high, pushed back upper decks. Same old contrived outfield dimensions. Same old roof design. Same old "split" grandstand. Same old bland outfield seating. Same old, same old, same old...

This is now the new generation of the "Cookie-Cutter" stadium. All the same shape with very slight variations. In fact, this stadium's grandstand is virtually identical to the new Yankee Stadium (also designed by HOK). They're basically the same stadium with a different shell on the outside.

Compare this with the rendering above and you'll see what I mean. Stadiums used to instantly recognisable from each other. Now, you have to strain your eyes to notice the differences sometimes.

BORING!
        Last edited by Elvis; 03-14-2006, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
          They never intended to build a retro park.

They designed it with the monuments and building surrounding it in mind.

Considering the intention, I think it looks pretty damn good.

You're kidding me, right?

The new Yankee Stadium and the Nats' new ballpark look pretty identical barring the entrances, don't you think?

*Yawn* HOK, you disgust me! Either get innovative or get out of my sight! Elvis, one mere man, can think up of something better than you! (and believe me, I've seen his designs, they're alot more innovative) That speaks in volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Knick9
            You're kidding me, right?

The new Yankee Stadium and the Nats' new ballpark look pretty identical barring the entrances, don't you think?

*Yawn* HOK, you disgust me! Either get innovative or get out of my sight! Elvis, one mere man, can think up of something better than you! (and believe me, I've seen his designs, they're alot more innovative) That speaks in volumes.
            I see similarities but identical?

Not even close..imo
            "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

It camouflages too much into the DC scenery. Just my thoughts.
              That's the whole point, it's supposed to blend in with the surroundings.
              Best posts ever:
              Originally posted by nymdan
              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                That's the whole point, it's supposed to blend in with the surroundings.
                Whether that's the point or not, why not make it something that stands out, that makes it unique, that makes it just different? I'm just not a fan of the generic look then.

Comment

Whether that's the point or not, why not make it something that stands out, that makes it unique, that makes it just different? I'm just not a fan of it then.
                  Why go out of their way to design somethign that sticks out like a soar thumb? What makes it unique is that it doesn't stand out, it's not meant to be one of those feaux brick and mortar stadiums or those glass behemouts that spring up out of nowhere and don't fit into the neighborhood. It's what's inside that is supposed to matter, not the "look at me, I'm a stadium" attractions. There will probably be things like logos and banners and a statue or two(Clark Griffin and Walter Johnson most likely) outside but inside is what is key.
                  Best posts ever:

Comment

Why go out of their way to design somethign that sticks out like a soar thumb? What makes it unique is that it doesn't stand out, it's not meant to be one of those feaux brick and mortar stadiums or those glass behemouts that spring up out of nowhere and don't fit into the neighborhood. It's what's inside that is supposed to matter, not the "look at me, I'm a stadium" attractions. There will probably be things like logos and banners and a statue or two(Clark Griffin and Walter Johnson most likely) outside but inside is what is key.
                    We're not talking about sticking out like a sore thumb. We're talking about the generic shape, structure, grandstand and feel of the stadium that is ANYTHING but unique or original.

It's like modern NASCAR having 4 different car makes that are all the same car with different shaped headlight stickers.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                      We're not talking about sticking out like a sore thumb. We're talking about the generic shape, structure, grandstand and feel of the stadium that is ANYTHING but unique or original.

It's like modern NASCAR having 4 different car makes that are all the same car with different shaped headlight stickers.
                      YOU may see them as being all the same. I see the parks as being similar but different. Each generation has their parks similar- look at some of those concrete and steel stadiums of the 1910s and tell me with a straight face that those aren't nearly all similar in the same ways you complain the DC stadium is similar.

About the only thing that is constant is your hatred of HOK
                      Best posts ever:

Comment

YOU may see them as being all the same. I see the parks as being similar but different. Each generation has their parks similar- look at some of those concrete and steel stadiums of the 1910s and tell me with a straight face that those aren't nearly all similar in the same ways you complain the DC stadium is similar.

About the only thing that is constant is your hatred of HOK
                        You're right, I'm always confusing Yankee Stadium, Forbes Field, Fenway, Wrigley, the Polo Grounds, Crosley Field, Tiger Stadium - they're all so similar looking

I've been designing model ballparks and stadiums as a hobby (and now for a living) for 20 years, with hundreds of different original designs, and I really see the same basic generic grandstand tweaked slightly in most modern designs, instead of differing concepts that are groundbreaking or at LEAST original.

Yankee Stadium did NOT look like Wrigley Field, which did NOT look like the Polo Grounds, which did NOT look like Forbes Field, which did NOT look like Ebbets Field, which did NOT look like Tiger Stadium, which did NOT look like Fenway Park etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                          You're right, I'm always confusing Yankee Stadium, Forbes Field, Fenway, Wrigley, the Polo Grounds, Crosley Field, Tiger Stadium - they're all so similar looking Yankee Stadium did NOT look like Wrigley Field, which did NOT look like the Polo Grounds, which did NOT look like Forbes Field, which did NOT look like Ebbets Field, which did NOT look like Tiger Stadium, which did NOT look like Fenway Park etc...
                          Based on your logic for HOK stadiums, yes they would be. Forbes, Shibe, Ebbetts, Comiskey, Tiger- all double deck stadiums built around a a single block of land with similar wrapping decks. Oh no! They are cookie cutters!

I've been designing model ballparks and stadiums as a hobby (and now for a living) for 20 years, with hundreds of different original designs, and I really see the same basic generic grandstand tweaked slightly in most modern designs, instead of differing concepts that are groundbreaking or at LEAST original.
                          Why must they be ground breaking? The cookie cutters of the 60s were ground breaking and look at how badly they are insulted. Same for US Cellular Field- ground breaking but bashed the world over.

Why must they conform to your views of ballparks? Just because they don't you don't like the park and write it off befor you even see a single game?
                          Best posts ever:

Comment

Based on your logic for HOK stadiums, yes they would be. Forbes, Shibe, Ebbetts, Comiskey, Tiger- all double deck stadiums built around a a single block of land with similar wrapping decks. Oh no! They are cookie cutters!

No. And interesting disconnected logic there.

Why must they be ground breaking?
                            Uh, why not?

Comment

Here is computer animation of the ballpark from the Washington Post's website:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031401066.html

You know what this park reminds me of? New Comiskey Park - before the renovations that turned it into U.S. Cellular Field. The stadium is very white with a ton of concrete and with septic blue seats. As someone else said, the new stadium (it's hard to call this thing a ballpark) is very bland. Why model the ballpark after the other buildings in the neighborhood? There aren't any architecturally impressive buildings in the South Capitol district. The mild asymmetry in the outfield dimensions isn't going to be enough to make this stadium worth seeing on repeat visits. The Nats will be stuck with a mediocre ballpark, joining the ranks of the Reds, Brewers, and White Sox.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X