Stupid Ballpark Traditions & Attractions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Ballpark Traditions & Attractions

Everyone always goes on and on about how great the many traditions and customs are at their home team's games. Baseball is certainly a sport that is based on traditions yes, but what about those instances when they went to far with the gimmicks to put people in the seats? What about the things they do that are just annoying, cheesy or in just plain bad taste?

Enough with the love in about how everything that baseball franchises do to attract patrons, and all the traditions they trump up are nostalgic and beautiful. May this thread be an opportunity to vent on things yours or some one elses team (let's be civil) do that suck. Now is your chance to call for the eviction of stupid traditions at baseball games.

I really don't like the idea of the Marlins Mermaids dance team. While they're certainly nice to look at, it doesn't belong at a baseball game. Do any other teams have dancers?
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

I can't stand it when they play the music so loud you need to wear earplugs.

Those thunder sticks need to be outlawed too. I go to watch the game and don't need to be entertained every second I'm there and sure don't need my ears bombarded with loud noises.

The Reds even have cheerleaders. There's no cheerleading in baseball.

Just give me a beer and a dog and let me watch the game.

Comment

Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
        I really don't like the idea of the Marlins Mermaids dance team. While they're certainly nice to look at, it doesn't belong at a baseball game. Do any other teams have dancers?
        That's a good one. Your in Miami. If you go to Ocean Drive you can actually hang out with those girls, which is better than staring at them from 120 feet away.

Baseball games aren't go places to go for eye candy. : :choke:

Comment

"Sweet Caroline" at Fenway Park is a direct reflection of the Red Sox fanbase.

Stupid.

Comment

Comerica Park needs to axe the Dunkin Donuts Race. It's so old and stupid and cheesy that it's time for it to either change or go. My friends and I used to bet on which character would win the race each game (Cuppy Coffee, Dashing Donut, or Biggy Bagel), but we don't care anymore!!! It's so lame.

LAME, LAME, LAME!!!!!!!!!!!

And to think, they won't let us hit beach balls around there! No wonder it's so lame!!!

Pretty much every promo like this at Comerica is incredibly lame. They need to hire a new marketing person to be in charge of such things. I've been to other stadiums, and some of their in-game promos are funny... like the Presidents Race in D.C., the character (I forget what character it is) sliding down the slide in the upper deck in Milwaukee, the sausage races, etc.

Comment

Throwing the ball/garbage on the field.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ots9Z0Y8RZM

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                Throwing the ball/garbage on the field.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ots9Z0Y8RZM
                We throw the ball back on the field at Comerica Park when the opposing team hits a home run. I like that tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAboutEgo View Post
                  We throw the ball back on the field at Comerica Park when the opposing team hits a home run. I like that tradition.
                  Throwing the ball back reeks of childish behavior.

It's like a kid not eating his vegetables and throwing a hissy fit.

Comment

Originally posted by tdinan View Post
                    "Sweet Caroline" at Fenway Park is a direct reflection of the Red Sox fanbase.

Stupid.
                    I'm inclined to agree with that, but they do that at other sporting events. I don't like it anywhere.

I'm also waiting for someone to mention YMCA at Yankee Stadium.
                    HE DROPPED THE BALL! HE DROPPED THE BALL!
                    http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5026043

Damon's Double Steal
                    http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?c...pic_id=7223232

Comment

Originally posted by Twenty Seven View Post
                      I'm inclined to agree with that, but they do that at other sporting events. I don't like it anywhere.

I'm also waiting for someone to mention YMCA at Yankee Stadium.
                      I'm for getting rid of all those played out "jingles", especially the new ones (hip hop top 40's) that they try to hammer in. A little out of place. Sweet Caroline is funny in Boston though, because Neil Diamond was from Brooklyn I believe. I think that is well within the empire.

Comment

Here's one: Every home run doesn't deserve a fireworks display.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                          Throwing the ball back reeks of childish behavior.

It's like a kid not eating his vegetables and throwing a hissy fit.
                          Oh, please. It's part of the fun of being a fan. Should everyone be serious at games, like they were at the turn of the 20th century... in their suits and best clothing???

Comment

Originally posted by Shadly View Post
                            I'm for getting rid of all those played out "jingles", especially the new ones (hip hop top 40's) that they try to hammer in. A little out of place. Sweet Caroline is funny in Boston though, because Neil Diamond was from Brooklyn I believe. I think that is well within the empire.
                            I agree. The jingles really grind on my nerves after hearing them umpteen-hundred times.

Comment

I could do w/o the "pump up the crowd" meters and music.

Originally posted by NotAboutEgo View Post
                              Oh, please. It's part of the fun of being a fan. Should everyone be serious at games, like they were at the turn of the 20th century... in their suits and best clothing???
                              I don't have to throw crap to have fun.

Maybe that's just me. And if I'm going to almost break a bone in my hand for a ball damn well right I'm going to keep it, I don't care how many loons are telling me to throw it back.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X