Greatest non-baseball event in a ballpark's history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest non-baseball event in a ballpark's history

Yesterday, I saw on TV as fans at Ravens (M&T) Stadium stayed after an exhibition game to watch native son Michael Phelps win his 8th gold medal. I figured that it was a pretty exciting moment in that stadium's history, but it had nothing to do with football.

Extending this to baseball, I was wondering as to each ballpark what the greatest non-baseball related event in the ballpark has been. For places like Dolphin Stadium, the Metrodome and the Oakland Coliseum, you can probably point to certain football games, but for the baseball only parks, it becomes more tricky. Still there are arguably examples, such as concerts or public figure appearances, or some other type of sporting event.

For example, for Oriole Park at Camden Yards, you can probably say the most exciting non-baseball event in that park's history was Pope John Paul II's mass in 1995.

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    Yesterday, I saw on TV as fans at Ravens (M&T) Stadium stayed after an exhibition game to watch native son Michael Phelps win his 8th gold medal. I figured that it was a pretty exciting moment in that stadium's history, but it had nothing to do with football.

Extending this to baseball, I was wondering as to each ballpark what the greatest non-baseball related event in the ballpark has been. For places like Dolphin Stadium, the Metrodome and the Oakland Coliseum, you can probably point to certain football games, but for the baseball only parks, it becomes more tricky. Still there are arguably examples, such as concerts or public figure appearances, or some other type of sporting event.

For example, for Oriole Park at Camden Yards, you can probably say the most exciting non-baseball event in that park's history was Pope John Paul II's mass in 1995.
    Shea wins this one, hands down. Begins and ends with The Beatles. Not to mention Shea's appearance in The Rutles as "Che" Stadium, named after famed Cuban revolutionary, Che Stadium.

Comment

Shea Stadium would have to be near the top of any list of big non-baseball events.

Edit: Number 4 beat me to it!

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
      https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

In 1994, my wife's grandmother died in Georgia. So we went down. On the way back along I-70 . .having drivem by St. Louis so many times . . . I said "kids, wanna stop and walk around Busch Stadium" and they did. So we did. Upon our revolution around the ballpark I felt something wet on my arm. A bird had crapped and it landed on my arm, and we were walking by a restaurant with windows and onlookers and i was brushing it off with no napkin available . .and it was a major, major crap. The kids roared with laughter and I expected no less . . as a matter of fact . . I'm smiling right now . .at this late date.

Is that a non baseball park, at a ballpark memory? smile.

PS: Watch for the birds of St. Louis!!!!!!!

Comment

Nice crap story digger!!!!!!!!!! I have a mental pic now! this is for you too.. How about the stick...aka the wind tunnel ... yep that fog machine off hunter's point Candlestick Park..

It was the LAST venue for a live show by the fab 4....
          It is 9:46 p.m.

Vin Scully with the call: Two and 2 to Harvey Kuenn, one strike away. Sandy into his windup, here's the pitch.....

Swung on and missed, a perfect game!!

check out my personal ballpark photography site
          www.ballparks.phanfare.com

Comment

Originally posted by bnbusser View Post
            Nice crap story digger!!!!!!!!!! I have a mental pic now! this is for you too.. How about the stick...aka the wind tunnel ... yep that fog machine off hunter's point Candlestick Park..

Last venue in terms of PAYING PATRONS. Last venue was the rooftop of their recording studios on Abbey Road.
            NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
            Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
            Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Baltimore Memorial Stadium - Plane crashes into upper grandstand after Colts-Steelers playoff game

Candlestick Park - Earthquake 10/17/1989 or The Catch

Three Rivers Stadium - The Immaculate Reception

Crosley Field - Flood, sometime in the '30s

Sky Dome - Some couple caught having sex in the outfield hotel (is this true or just an urban legend)

Jack Murphy Stadium - Doug Williams & Timmie Smith, Redskins 42, Broncos 10 or The Holy Roller, Raiders vs. Chargers ~1979

The Kingdome - Roof damage

Comiskey Park - Disco Demolition Night

Shea Stadium - The Heidi Game

Wrigley Field - Canadiens-Blackhawks hockey game 1/1/2009

Old Busch Stadium - Thanksgiving Day brawl, Dolphins vs. Cardinals ~1977

Cleveland Municipal Stadium - Beer Night ~70s

Yankee Stadium - Giants/Colts championship game ~1958
              Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.

Comment

Originally posted by BiZmaRK View Post
                Sky Dome - Some couple caught having sex in the outfield hotel (is this true or just an urban legend)
                It's true.

I remember it being on the news.
                "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Was anyone conceived?
                  Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.

Comment

Was anyone conceived?
                    I don't think so, but not for a lack of trying.
                    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Baltimore Memorial Stadium - Plane crashes into upper grandstand after Colts-Steelers playoff game

Candlestick Park - Earthquake 10/17/1989 or The Catch

Three Rivers Stadium - The Immaculate Reception

Crosley Field - Flood, sometime in the '30s

Jack Murphy Stadium - Doug Williams & Timmie Smith, Redskins 42, Broncos 10 or The Holy Roller, Raiders vs. Chargers ~1979

The Kingdome - Roof damage

Comiskey Park - Disco Demolition Night

Shea Stadium - The Heidi Game

Wrigley Field - Canadiens-Blackhawks hockey game 1/1/2009

Old Busch Stadium - Thanksgiving Day brawl, Dolphins vs. Cardinals ~1977

Cleveland Municipal Stadium - Beer Night ~70s

Yankee Stadium - Giants/Colts championship game ~1958
                      The Heidi Bowl was played in Oakland in 1968. The rematch was at Shea in the AFL Championship Game.
                      The Sky Dome thing is true. Several people did it as a copycat thing.
                      Polo Grounds: Joe Louis vs Billy Conn
                      Yankee Stadium runner up: Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling
                      Shea Stadium: The Beatles 1965 concert. Runner up:Billy Joel final night 7/18
                      Worst Moment at Shea: flying lawn mower kills fan at Jets game

Comment

Originally posted by bnbusser View Post

The "Stick" is nothing but a fabulous memory! I can remember evenings in July out there with a blanket upon us all . . .I just thought . .. it was baseball . .and it was supposed to be that way . . . nothing but good memories at the stick.

Comment

True! There was also a man caught........alone!
                          39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
                          2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Originally posted by Swoboda4 View Post
                            Shea wins this one, hands down. Begins and ends with The Beatles. Not to mention Shea's appearance in The Rutles as "Che" Stadium, named after famed Cuban revolutionary, Che Stadium.
                            Maybe I think I'm too cool for the room, but this was the last place I'd expect a "Rutles" reference! Nice!

Comment

Greatest non-baseball event in a ballpark's history

Originally posted by tugger View Post
                              Maybe I think I'm too cool for the room, but this was the last place I'd expect a "Rutles" reference! Nice!
                              One of my friends saw KISS live-in-concert at Dodger Stadium during KISS' Pshyco Circus tour in 1998.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X