X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 1999 Seattle Mariners take the field
    Attached Files

Comment

How many sides were there to the Kingdome?

"...So the winning run is on second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson.

Little roller up along first; BEHIND THE BAG! It gets through Buckner!

Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!"

- Vin Scully, Announcer

Comment

Originally posted by mrakbaseball View Post
        80's? This was the 90's. What year was "What a Game" MLB's slogan?
        Seattle, like many teams went back to..(or in the Mariners' case, finally went to) belts & buttons, in 1987. Click here.

V neck pullovers and elastic wastebands, not to mention those garish nest egg blue road uniforms...that made visiting teams look like a band of orderlies held captive...are 70s abominations that baseball will never live down.
        Last edited by DaBigMotor; 08-30-2008, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrakbaseball View Post
          don't know if this is during construction or prior to demolition
          That looks like it's during demolition. Very interesting photo - the Kingdome looks so small in it, and looks so lifeless.

Comment

After a game against the Blue Jays, 4-7-93
            Attached Files

Comment

During a game against the Bills, 12-8-96
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Seattle1; 08-31-2008, 08:57 AM.

Comment

5 days before implosion, March 21, 2000.
                Attached Files

Comment

Beginning with the 1991 baseball season, the Kingdome used 2 different artificial surfaces for baseball and football.
                  Attached Files

Comment

August 31, 1990

Griffey Jr. and Sr. play on the same team 18 years ago as Seattle beats Kansas City 5-2 before 27,166 at the Kingdome.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Yankees12 View Post
                      That looks like it's during demolition. Very interesting photo - the Kingdome looks so small in it, and looks so lifeless.
                      Any way to blow up the image of the truck on the field? From the lights on in the baseball pressbox and the way the diamond is laying on the field, you could make an argument for it being a construction shot. The cement that is down the left field line, which looks like the seperation for the football turf looks new.

Then again, the wires for the speaker system look to be ripped apart.

Comment

Originally posted by vtbub View Post
                        Any way to blow up the image of the truck on the field? From the lights on in the baseball pressbox and the way the diamond is laying on the field, you could make an argument for it being a construction shot. The cement that is down the left field line, which looks like the seperation for the football turf looks new.

Looking at the upper deck, it seems like it has some wear and tear on it due to years of usage. Although it could be construction - the field could go either way.

Comment

Originally posted by vtbub View Post

I'm going to say that's a construction photo. The photo itself just has an overall 1970s "feel" to it, and the content looks more like construction than demolition.

Comment

I'm going with construction. Look at the lights, they go all the way around behind the home plate area. By the time the photo in thread #15 was taken, those lights had been removed. I highly doubt they installed several hundred lights to illuminate the tear-down process. Also, the field appears to be getting prepared as the sliding pits and football sidelines are neatly left alone. You'd think during the tear out that nobody would care too much about their condition. Additionally, I'd think there would be more vehicles and heavy equipment present during the demolition process. I like my theory here, I believe that I'll stick to it.
                            Last edited by Bernard Shakey; 09-02-2008, 05:54 PM. Reason: So as not to read as if written by E.T.

Comment

I still like my theory, but upon further review, those lights might actually be there behind a black curtain. Any Kingdome experts able to elaborate?

Comment

After 2 tiles collapsed in '94, all tiles were removed and a new spray on material was applied to the ceiling. No mas.
                                Last edited by mrakbaseball; 12-30-2008, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X