No announcement yet.

Marlins Park Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They've started constructing the seating bowl from the west end of the site, viewable on the webcam.
    For a realistic sports ticket and merchandise market

Comment

• Bump!

Anyone get any new renderings, pics or info?

Bumpage!
      Twenty Seven

Comment

• Originally posted by NYBase View Post
        Bump!

Anyone get any new renderings, pics or info?

Bumpage!

Here's what it looks like as of this morning:

Watching the actual seating bowl go in, after all these years I still cannot believe this ballpark actually is beginning to physically exist in the real world as opposed to just hypothetical renderings. That's what 15 or so odd years of trying to get the place built will do to you.

Comment

• Congratulations to the Marlins, I'm so glad for them that this thing is being built. And man I hope they are successful there. It kills me to see a sparkling new field like Nationals Park sit empty because of the poor team and the ambivalent fan base.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by PeteU View Post

Watching the actual seating bowl go in, after all these years I still cannot believe this ballpark actually is beginning to physically exist in the real world as opposed to just hypothetical renderings. That's what 15 or so odd years of trying to get the place built will do to you.
            You should have built a stadium 10 years before you got a team and then get shocked when your stadium is considered outdated when you have your teams 10 year anniv. like we did in Tampa!
            The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by PeteU View Post

Great picture, thanks.

Now it really feels like the place is a reality. Keep posting pics, (lots of them). This thread is going to be as good as the Target Field one has been now. (as long as NY idiots don't make ignorant comments about the fan base).

The Marlins have so much history in their short time, I'm really happy for you guys down there that this is happening. I'm predicting consistanly huge crowds

On a side note, re the teal: watching some old stuff on the MLB Network reminded me of just how much I loved the teal ! So unique and gave the team such an identity. I've been hating the black forever - and the blue/gold thing just sucks plain and simple. Uniforms matter !

Comment

• I'm happy for the fish fans too! You guys deserve this after so many up and down years in the heat, rain and mud.

Miami is a great wknd road trip for fans to take in a couple of games. I know I'll be there in 2012.

Comment

• I realize that Nationals Park might be a bit empty right now because of the lousy team that we are putting on the field but make no doubt that it is a beautiful stadium, just like this one will be for the Marlins. When the Nationals get better, and they will....then they will have more fans. It's really no different than any other city. When the teams win, the fans come out. I think there are only a few teams, like the Yankees/Mets, Cubs, and Angels/Dodgers that really are the exception to the rule.

Comment

• Marlins Stadium Update No. 3 Cheers (Public Art edition)
                    Posted by Sarah Talalay on December 15, 2009 07:20 PM

Florida Marlins owner and art dealer Jeffrey Loria has promised his team’s new ballpark will be a work of art and unlike any other baseball stadium. That’s why he’s focused on creating a modernist structure of sleek white stucco, silver metal and glass.

On Tuesday, Miami-Dade County’s Art in Public Places Trust continued Loria’s theme, approving proposals for $5.3 million in public art projects planned for the ballpark, including a playful, dynamic home run celebration feature, budgeted at $2.5 million, by renowned multimedia pop artist Red Grooms. Grooms' work was selected from several entries after a series of meetings.

It’s still conceptual and difficult to describe, but it’s something like an arcade game decorated with pelicans and seagulls, blue sky and clouds with a series of marlins that will actually jump after a Marlins player hits a home run. (See picture at left) Grooms is known for large scale works of urban-scapes and buildings.

Grooms, who was born in Nashville, said he drew on his memories of visiting Daytona as a teenager. He remembered seeing the ocean for the first time, the pelicans and seagulls, he said.

“All that stuck with me,” said Grooms, 72. That’s how he decided “to incorporate the great natural beauty of Florida and wildlife” into his proposal. “I am featuring beautiful clouds and waves.”

Grooms described the project, which he learned of from Loria, as “a pretty unusual project. It’s like making up a kind of new event or game or something.”

Initially the project was expected to have a feature rise from a pool of real water, but county officials liked the idea of using Grooms-designed water instead. The key to the work is part of it will be visible even if a game isn’t going on, but it will spring to life once a Marlin hits a home run.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/videobet...be11&src=front
                    http://blogs.trb.com/sports/custom/b...e_no_3_ch.html

In the article there's a link to a video that show how the thing is supposed to work. Rather interesting, to say the least.
                    For a realistic sports ticket and merchandise market

Comment

• if that thing really happens after every HR, the Marlins are gonna get laughed off the field. thats AWFUL. so so awful. I cant wait to see it

Comment

• Originally posted by koufax View Post
                        if that thing really happens after every HR, the Marlins are gonna get laughed off the field. thats AWFUL. so so awful. I cant wait to see it
                        Agreed. Its pitiful that baseball has come to stuff like this.
                        I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

• I think it's ok for the Marlins. It's Florida for God's sake. There isn't much baseball tradition down there just yet and everyone is laid back. Miami is an artsy town with lots of pretty colors, unlike the industrial gray of the NE.

I thought the pool in AZ was totally cheezy back in '98, but it fits its AZ surrounding. If you've ever flown into PHX, you'll see that every other house has a backyard pool.

I don't want special effects in the pre 1958 baseball towns, but for sunbelt expansion clubs, eh. Whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
                            Agreed. Its pitiful that baseball has come to stuff like this.
                            what a waste of money.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by peterrod16 View Post
                              what a waste of money.
                              Oh, like an exploding scoreboard is any less of a waste of money? Or an apple stamped "Home Run" rising out of a hat? This has the potential of being a signature Marlins thing, and trust me, they've been tenants in someone else's stadium for long enough. Let them have their "thing." Besides, I'm sure Bill Veeck himself would applaud such a concept. Showy, flashy and signature? That's Veeck in a nutshell.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLev View Post
                                Oh, like an exploding scoreboard is any less of a waste of money? Or an apple stamped "Home Run" rising out of a hat? This has the potential of being a signature Marlins thing, and trust me, they've been tenants in someone else's stadium for long enough. Let them have their "thing." Besides, I'm sure Bill Veeck himself would applaud such a concept. Showy, flashy and signature? That's Veeck in a nutshell.
                                I myself have no problem spending money on a signature thing, i just happen to think that this particular thing they are showing looks kinda goofy to me. Perhaps when built it will look more impressive. I just dont want the Marlins and their stadium to be laughed at, i want them to do well and to project a good image.
                                I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X