Bullpen Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullpen Cars

One thing that became fashionable in the 1960s and 70s and has now apparently faded from the scene is the concept of bullpen cars. These were vehicles that transported relief pitchers from the outfield bullpens to theinfield when they were called into games. Usually they were golf carts customized with an oversized baseball-shaped cab, but I think a few places used actual automobiles.

Does anyone know when this first started and if any are still in use? If they are totally gone, what was the last team to use one? Anyone have pics?

Originally posted by Greg B. View Post
    One thing that became fashionable in the 1960s and 70s and has now apparently faded from the scene is the concept of bullpen cars. These were vehicles that transported relief pitchers from the outfield bullpens to theinfield when they were called into games. Usually they were golf carts customized with an oversized baseball-shaped cab, but I think a few places used actual automobiles.

Does anyone know when this first started and if any are still in use? If they are totally gone, what was the last team to use one? Anyone have pics?
    Wasn't Mantle driven across the field in a pinstripe-mobile during at least one of the two days given in his honor? I've seen the photo in this forum.
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

The Yankees used an actual automobile for thier pitchers and I believe if I remember right it was a pinstriped Datsun.

Comment

Here's some good info (with pics).
        http://www.realcavsfans.com/showthread.php?t=9402

I like the Mariners Tugboat. It says the Brewers were the last to use a bullpen car, in 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
          The Yankees used an actual automobile for thier pitchers and I believe if I remember right it was a pinstriped Datsun.
          I read a quote by Mike Flanagan once where he said he knew New York was tough because they told him to lock the doors of the bullpen car .
          Someone once posted the classified ad where the Yankees sold off this particular car.

Comment

It makes sense, as a lot of mlb players used to smoke....even in the dugout

Comment

The worst ever was the 1st year of the Vet - the bullpen cart was decorated like a firetruck. They changed that the next year after being laughed at by everyone else in the National League
              Alcohol
              Tobacco
              Firearms
              should be a convenience store,
              not a government agency

Comment

(The Gossage segment is taken from "Watchdog" from Newsday.com)

Rich Gossage Recalls the Late, Great Bullpen Car

The Rich Gossage "CenterStage" on YES Tuesday night (August 12, 2008), during which Goose talks about the late, lamented tradition of the bullpen car. Well, it's lamented by fans, not necessarily players.

Gossage recalls fans pelting the car in 1978 with bottles while he was being driven to the mound. It got so bad the groundskeeper used the windshield wiper, and the car had to be hosed down back in the bullpen.

Also in '78, centerfielder Mickey Rivers jokingly threw himself onto the hood of the car one day when it was set to bring in Gossage. Rivers pleaded with the driver not to give Gossage a ride because he had been pitching poorly.

Below is one of the die-casts made by Fleer of the bullpen buggies of the 70's.

Dennis
                BrooklynDodger14
                Attached Files
                Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 09-29-2008, 11:05 AM.

Comment

I used to work with a guy who owned the KC Royals bullpen car from the '77 season. It was a powder-blue '77 2-door Chevy Impala which he won in a raffle after the season. I actually got to ride shotgun from the airport after a business trip. I thought of all the butts that sat in my seat....Splittorff, Leonard, Colborn, Bird...

He kept it in pretty good shape. I think he sold it 5 or 6 years ago.

Comment

Paul Lukas of espn.com Page 2 fame had a good article about them last year (you know, the same guy who just did a Shea article entirely based on stuff from this forum, lol) - anyway, here's some bullpen car pics he linked to (also at ipitch's forum link) -

Mariners' tugboat (!), 1982 -

And the Mets' buggy - hijacked during the NL East clincher in 1986 (former vendor did the deed) -

----------------

Here's a few more -

Mets' car again, 1977.

Japanese version -

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                    https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
                      Paul Lukas of espn.com Page 2 fame had a good article about them last year (you know, the same guy who just did a Shea article entirely based on stuff from this forum, lol) - anyway, here's some bullpen car pics he linked to (also at ipitch's forum link) -
                      One oddity on there was this: a bullpen cart that matched the opposing team's hat...looks like it may have been at the 1973 World Series between the Mets and the A's
                      Attached Files
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                        One oddity on there was this: a bullpen cart that matched the opposing team's hat...looks like it may have been at the 1973 World Series between the Mets and the A's
                        Definitely '73 - but far from an oddity for the Mets, that was standard procedure at Shea for a long time. Every visiting team had a bullpen car with a matching hat. Look close and you can see the Astros car at Shea, also in 1973 -

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!

Comment

Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
                          Definitely '73 - but far from an oddity for the Mets, that was standard procedure at Shea for a long time. Every visiting team had a bullpen car with a matching hat. Look close and you can see the Astros car at Shea, also in 1973 -
                          They simply change the hats or were there entirely separate cars?
                          Best posts ever:
                          Originally posted by nymdan
                          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                            They simply change the hats or were there entirely separate cars?
                            Good question - I would think they'd change the hats, but couldn't say for sure!

Comment

God I am so glad I never witnessed this in a baseball game. I don't think I could watch the sport after that. Dumbest idea ever.

Why don't they just shoot the relief pitcher out of a cannon onto a giant trampoleen behind the mound.

Somehow I think there are people who liked the bullpen car right now thinking to themselves, "a cannon! What a great idea!"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X