Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilltop Park

Hey all,

I don't know if a thread for the old NY Highlanders/Yankees ballpark exists, but I thought I would start one. Actually, I was hoping people could add some of their own, because I'm looking for some clear shots of the right field wall, preferably from the year 1910. But either way, anything is valid!!

It's too bad that there's not a hell of a lot of information out there on this beaut, as I think it's terribly interesting to have Hilltop Park and the Polo Grounds almost back-to-back on the upper part of the island. That, and it's been witness to many interesting moments, many of which involved Ty Cobb. Here's one in particular you've all probably seen:

Here are some examples, some of which have various players throughout:

Opening Day, 1908

www.graigkreindler.com
    www.twitter.com/graigkreindler
    www.facebook.com/graigkreindler

Why don't they rebuild the rightfield wall to look like it did a hundred years ago, then landmark it.

Comment

Hilltop Park was 165th and Broadway, the Polo Grounds 155th and Eighth Avenue: that's not exactly back to back. And it would be a little hard to rebuild the Hilltop RF wall: it would be in the middle of Presbyterian Hospital.

Here's a page of Hilltop photos from Mark Okkonen's Baseball Memories 1900-1909
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
        Why don't they rebuild the rightfield wall to look like it did a hundred years ago, then landmark it.
        I grew up in this neighborhood and currently live there. A gigantic hospital stands where the stadium use to be, there's a home plate plaque in a small park that cuts through some of the hospital buildings. The hospital however is currently connected to the Yankees, there is a giant banner that states "the official hospital of the yankees" (or something like that).

I'll try to take pictures
        Last edited by NYBase; 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM.
        Twenty Seven

Comment

For whatever it may be worth, the apartment building directly behind the ballplayer in this photo...

...is still there today. (If memory serves me right there's a "Starbucks" on street level. )
          X

Comment

NYBase - do you know the restaurant 'Malecon'? It's a Dominican spot on 175th and Broadway. The best place in the universe as far as I'm concerned...

Anywho, though not back-to-back, it just seems amazing to me how close the two were to each other. Granted, the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium had similar proximity, as did the Baker Bowl and Shibe. It's amazing to think how much baseball has changed since then...
            www.graigkreindler.com
            www.twitter.com/graigkreindler
            www.facebook.com/graigkreindler

Comment

Well, isn't it also ironic that both New York clubs' new ballparks are being built next to the facilities they're replacing?
              X

Comment

--------------------

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

According to Google's Distance calculator it's about .5 miles or so.
                  Attached Files
                  Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

From 1910
                    ENLARGE

ENLARGE

Comment

Originally posted by Philmore View Post

Anywho, though not back-to-back, it just seems amazing to me how close the two were to each other. Granted, the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium had similar proximity, as did the Baker Bowl and Shibe. It's amazing to think how much baseball has changed since then...
                      While one was not replacing the other, I was surprised to learn how close Fenway Park was to the old Braves Field site. It's roughly only a mile or so. I somehow thought Braves Field was on the other side of town.

Comment

Originally posted by Philmore View Post
                        NYBase - do you know the restaurant 'Malecon'? It's a Dominican spot on 175th and Broadway. The best place in the universe as far as I'm concerned...

Yessss, I'm there quite a lot. Some of the best Dominican food you can get outside my mom's house. However, prices have double in the past 5-6 years
                        Twenty Seven

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                          While one was not replacing the other, I was surprised to learn how close Fenway Park was to the old Braves Field site. It's roughly only a mile or so. I somehow thought Braves Field was on the other side of town.
                          Fairly close.

BostonParks.jpg

Comment

That satellite pic gave me an idea, this is what the current site looks like.
                            Attached Files
                            Twenty Seven

Comment

I've been having a bit of a fascination with this park lately. Does anyone have any aerial or concourse shots? I think both would be very interesting to see.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X