College Baseball Fields - All Eras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Is it cool to be at a college game and not be 30 feet up behind home plate?
    Why is that?

I went to a (UGA) Bulldogs game and not only was the entire grandstand twenty feet above the playing field but there was a net around the entire area. If you weren't sitting in the first two rows the net was very distracting. Additionally, if you weren't in the first few rows you didn't get a full view of the field.

I saw a great game against Vandy but was very disappointed by the stadium.
    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

concordia college, bronxville ny, home field of 5 year mlb'er john doherty.

this field never disappoints...
      Attached Files
      the turd in the punchbowl
      reality really sucks.
      enjoy the game more...

Comment

Went to watch Univ. of South Florida today and loved being outdoors this time of year!

530308_10101807604038863_5215805_75967815_1818530432_n.jpg
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

6875913351_7648c7f725_b.jpg
          Disch Falk Field in Austin, Texas

Comment

I never got why texas baseball needed that much turf is it really dry out there or something?
            The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

McKethan-Stadium.jpg

uf-baseball-and-lemerand-ce.jpg

florida-baseball-scoreboard.jpg

mcKethan-stadium.jpg

scoreboard_1605_TCasey.jpg

Florida Gators
              All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

I miss the reptile skinned wall they had there, but I do love the subway great catch where if you catch a fair ball in the air you get a free subway sub!

Did they ever think of putting a cover on that place, I know I'm a homer, but I love at Dick Houser up at FSU.

Comment

Some images and information of this little gem next to the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena (Home of Pasadena City College baseball):

Jackie Robinson Memorial Field at Brookside Park
                  Jackie Robinson Memorial Field 01.jpg

Jackie Robinson Memorial Field 02.jpg

Jackie Robinson Memorial Field 03.jpg

This image courtesy of the sky is big in pasadena
                  IMG_6584.JPG

Information courtesy of The Pasadena Marathon

Until the 1950s, “major league” ball was limited to sixteen teams in only ten cities. However, the popularity of baseball extended well beyond the major league. When the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues formed in 1901 it included fourteen leagues and ninety-six clubs. By 1909, it included thirty-five leagues and 246 clubs. Pasadena boasted numerous local teams, which participated in small leagues such as the Southern California Baseball League. Typically, local businesses, churches and schools sponsored teams. One of the earliest teams was the Pasadena Stars, an African American team. Others included the Pasadena Merchants, the Pasadena Sportland, the Pasadena Giants, and the Pasadena Eagles. Prior to the creation of the baseball field at Brookside Park, teams played mostly at Tournament Park, which no longer exists.

The site of the what is now know as the Jackie Robinson Memorial Field was originally acquired in 1912 to be used as a small park in the arroyo. When it was decided that the land be turned into a baseball field, the architect Myron Hunt was called upon to design it, who was also responsible for constructing the Rose Bowl Stadium in 1922. Ten years after completing the Rose Bowl, Hunt designed the stadium, dugouts and adjoining clubhouse of what was then called the Brookside Park Baseball Field. The stadium was constructed to attract a professional or semi-professional team, and so it is much larger and more elaborate than your routine municipal baseball stadium, with a seating capacity of over 3,000. Very few changes have been made to Jackie Robinson Memorial Field since its original construction. The most notable was the installation of lights for nighttime baseball in 1982 and the addition of a bullpen and batting cage in 1992. The name was changed from Brookside Park Baseball Field to Jackie Robinson Memorial Field in 1987. Jack Roosevelt “Jackie” Robinson grew up in Pasadena and became the first African American to play for a major league team after the segregation of professional baseball in 1889. The stadium now stands as a tribute to him.

The field and stadium structure contribute to the sports and recreation history of the Lower and Central Arroyo Historic District. It is one of the oldest baseball stadiums in southern California and no doubt the most architecturally distinctive. The stadium itself was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 22, 1998.
                  Last edited by milladrive; 07-17-2012, 09:23 AM. Reason: Separated pics

Comment

America's Most Scenic Ballpark (according to the article "America's Most Scenic Ballpark" written by Kevin Kernan for the San Diego Union-Tribune and Baseball America) is located on the campus of Point Loma Nazarene University.

Carroll B. Land Baseball Stadium, San Diego, CA (Images courtesy of Point Loma Athletics)
                    cblfield.jpgScenic_One.jpg

Comment

Renderings of Joannes Stadium, the summer collegiate (Northwoods League) home of the Green Bay Bullfrogs:

Last edited by milladrive; 07-17-2012, 10:02 AM. Reason: Separated pics & reworded heading

Comment

Some more:

Last edited by milladrive; 07-17-2012, 09:58 AM. Reason: Seaparated pics

Comment

Summer leagues are so fun to watch! I didn't realize they were big business though.

Comment

Eddy D. Field Stadium, Malibu, California, home of the Pepperdine University Waves' baseball team:

(Images courtesy of Stadium Journey)
                            1094_Eddy_D_Field_Stadium.jpg1094_View_of_Eddy_D_Field_Stadium_from_Above.jpg1094_Seats_at_Eddy_D_Field_Stadium.jpg

Comment

Les Miller Field, home of the UIC Flames, in Chicago, Illinois:

IMG_3981.JPG

(Images courtesy of Brule Laker)
                              5719464653_e296c0863a_b.jpg5719465079_b6b64386b6_b.jpg

Comment

This ballpark, once called "The Best Little Ballpark in Texas (or Anywhere Else)" by Sports Illustrated baseball writer Nicholas Dawidoff, is the home of Sul Ross State University Lobos baseball (thanks to Thirsty Moose for the pics and info):

zkokernot_fld_064.jpg zkokernot_fld_063.jpg zkokernot_fld_056.jpg zkokernot_fld_062.jpg zkokernot_fld_029.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X