College Baseball Fields - All Eras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trainerdave View Post
    Talking to people who have played on fields with fieldturf mounds, it sounds like they have to replace the "landing" area for pitchers once a year because of wear and tear. The problem with the dirt mound is trying to keep the dirt and fieldturf seperate. We have a fieldturf diamond where I live and people don't really care for it. One gripe, although minor, is you can't have seeds, gum, or gatorade/pop on the field. The seeds cut the turf and the sugar in gatorade/pop break down the turf. Most people don't realize how delicate these fields actually can be. They need to be groomed and cleaned more than grass fields, if you want them to last.

We are planning on adding a fieldturf baseball and softball field. I am interested to see how they work the pitching area in a fieldturf softball field.
    I know of a field where a synthetic mound was installed just a month ago, and it's already displaying signs of significant wear and tear, a month!
    The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Jim Patterson Stadium

The University of Louisville's Jim Patterson Stadium with a beautiful new FieldTurf surface! That two-toned turf looks great and should be favorably compared to the blotchy surfaces at Tropicana Field and Rogers SkyDome.

Comment

If only they didn't turf the dirt areas it would be perfect. Those 2 tones are great though! You can really see the technology starting to grow now that everyone has field turf.
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Incredible transformation at the University of Washington's Husky Ballpark in Seattle. The college baseball season is underway.

Comment

Is the field turf painted like that or do they run over it with some sort of vacuum to get the stripes?

Comment

Originally posted by gmtobehere View Post
              Is the field turf painted like that or do they run over it with some sort of vacuum to get the stripes?
              It is multi-colored turf, so it is a dark strip then a light strip.

Comment

BGSU Falcons, Steller Field

New Locker Room,with link to more photos. http://www.bgsufalcons.com/news/2014...205144237.aspx

Baseball Field, with link to photos. http://www.bgsufalcons.com/sports/20...624091825.aspx

My alma mater, BGSU has been a relative successful program in the MAC for many years but the facility was always very sub par. Small dugouts, old stands, and no true home locker room (Locker room used to be shared with visiting hockey teams that came to play in the ice arena across the street. Around 2000 the University upgraded bleachers to aluminum and added a nice pressbox. A few years later they added a decent backstop and upgraded the dugouts making them longer and more spacious and a new scoreboard. I'm sure other small improvements have been made. They have always talked about adding lights, but nothing yet. Also talked, at one time, about adding a joint locker room facility between the softball and baseball field, obviously that never happened with the addition of the tennis courts.

As in the link above, they finally upgraded the locker room to a more player friendly room. Finally became an option after a few years ago when the Ice Arena was renovated and more locker rooms were added for visiting teams. Luckily the hockey and baseball teams have a good backing with "boosters" that help get the facilities where they need to be.

The MAC has some nice,even though smaller, facilities in the conference and BGSU is slowly working their way up to those standards.

***I put boosters in quotes only because some of the people are in the Falcon Club, but I think most donations are seperate and on their own terms. Not as in illegal benefits.
                Last edited by trainerdave; 02-15-2014, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Pepperdine University in Malibu.

photo by Karen Moyer

Comment

24 hours in the life of the ballpark at Campbell University in North Carolina.

Comment

I went to the Stanford vs Rice game today. 67 degrees and sunny in California.

Sunken Diamond is a really beautiful facility, complete with no ads on the outfield walls.

IMG_20140216_121103.jpg

IMG_20140216_134012.jpg

IMG_20140216_145244.jpg
                      "Andre Dawson has a bruised knee and is listed as day-to-day...Aren't we all?"

Comment

The South Carolina Gamecocks start the run for their third College World Series title on Friday at Carolina Stadium, college baseball's finest ballpark.

F1045878.jpg

Comment

The Houston Cougars' home, Cougar Field, on-campus in Third Ward, Houston, Texas (built in 1995):

Exterior facade:

Just had new artificial turf put in this year:

Bullpen:

Locker room:

Video board:

Grand stand and press box:

Game time against Texas in 2013:
                          Last edited by RootHouston; 02-16-2014, 11:01 PM.
                          sigpic
                          National League Champions: 2005
                          National League Division Champions: 1980, 1986, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001
                          National League Wild Card: 2004, 2005

Comment

I don't understand why that Houston field has synthetic cutouts instead of a full red/brown infield area.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
                              I don't understand why that Houston field has synthetic cutouts instead of a full red/brown infield area.
                              Are you asking why it's not dirt on the on the infield? Or are you just commenting on the color scheme? It is a dirt mound by the way.
                              sigpic
                              National League Champions: 2005
                              National League Division Champions: 1980, 1986, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001
                              National League Wild Card: 2004, 2005

Comment

I like the red pits too - team color fields are cool.

Imagine they did the entire infield in red? .. too ... much ... red! Probably why just the cutouts.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X