Polo Grounds [II] (1889-1890) <later known as Manhattan Field>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polo Grounds [II] (1889-1890) <later known as Manhattan Field>

The wooden Polo Grounds next door to the ballpark of its former namesake renamed Manhattan Field.

Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012, 10:22 AM.

I forgot to ask; does anybody have any good old photos of Manhattan Field, which was next to the PG? I was wanting to get some good shots of the double-decked grandstands that once stood there.

Comment

From 1889

Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
        From 1889

Isn't that the PG that would later become Manhattan Field? I want to say that it is.
        Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Speaking of Manhattan Field... Found these on some college football site. The last diagram of MF and the PG is pretty cool.

Last edited by Pelt; 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Another Manhattan Field drawing - 1895. The Polo Grounds are visible between MF and the bluff.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelt View Post
              Isn't that the PG that would later become Manhattan Field? I want to say that it is.
              So much irony associated with the NY Yankees!

By next year they will have occupied their third venue as the Yankees with an elevated train line just beyond the outfield, the first two having had not only train lines but the Bronx County Courthouse as a dominant feature in the background. Weird!!

Starting next year fans will begin decades of seeing a white high-rise condo/apt rising in the distance over center field.

Unrelated - the Mets' "NY" with sunken Y for York looks like an homage to the NY of the old Giants! At least according to some of the end-row seats in this PG thread.
              RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

Manhattan Field (formerly known as Polo Grounds [II]) from 1901.
                ENLARGE

After the Giants moved into Polo Grounds III across the street in 1891, Manhattan field was used for other sports including horse/harness racing.

Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012, 10:21 AM.

Comment

It was also used for track and field events.

Comment

Love Manhattan Field. I wish there were more good baseball pics of it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Some cool renderings of it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

What bridge is that in the background? If I'm not mistaken (which I often am), isn't that the general area of where the George Washington Bridge is?

sigpic

Comment

I think that might be the High Bridge before it was renovated in the early 1900s. That is what it looked like, and the High Bridge Tower is right there.

These are terrific photos of Manhattan Field - I've always had an interest in it, considering it was basically forgotten due to being completely overshadowed by its neighbor. It was quite an interesting ballpark in its time, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankees12 View Post
                            I think that might be the High Bridge before it was renovated in the early 1900s. That is what it looked like, and the High Bridge Tower is right there.

These are terrific photos of Manhattan Field - I've always had an interest in it, considering it was basically forgotten due to being completely overshadowed by its neighbor. It was quite an interesting ballpark in its time, though.
                            Good work, my friend. According to Wiki, the High Bridge had the appearance of a Roman aqueduct; but, in the 1920s, a steel arch about 450 feet was added to replace the several masonry arches that spanned the river. The bridge was started in 1837, and completed in 1848. It has a length of well over 2,000 feet. The eastern end is located in The Bronx near the western end of West 170th Street, and the western end is located in Highbridge Park in Manhattan, roughly parallel to the end of West 173rd Street.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                              What bridge is that in the background? If I'm not mistaken (which I often am), isn't that the general area of where the George Washington Bridge is?

No, the GWB is over the Hudson River.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X