The Ballpark Organists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
    Jim,Eddie retired then passed away not long after. I like your idea about playing some of his recorded bits. They do it with Robert Merrill and Kate Smith. Considering how infrequently the organ is used, all they would need to do is have a progammer put it on. It's not like it was when Eddie would play something appropriate for the moment at the drop of a hat. I also think they should use Bob Shepard recordings if he ever retires.
    It would be really hard to have Bob Shepard recordings when he retires/dies, because there's new guys comming into the league and on the team every year. If they spliced sounds of his voice together, it would sound like a robot, but they COULD have a recording of him saying "Welcome to Yankee Stadium" and stuff like that.

Comment

That's what I was thinking Jim. "And for the world champion New York Yankees..."
      Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Originally posted by 2Chance View Post
        Eddie Layton. He was the first organist at Yankee Stadium, from the time they brought the organ in for the 1967 season.
        Eddie was the second. Toby Wright was the first (1965-66)

This is a clipping from the 1966 Yankees Yearbook

Toby also was the Yankees organist from 1971-77.
        willisraverchk77
        Comerica the Beautiful!
        Last edited by willisraverchk77; 01-28-2008, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
          It would be really hard to have Bob Shepard recordings when he retires/dies
          I would be very interested in buying an audio CD of Bob Sheppard public address announcements. Ideally, he'd go into a recording studio (for maximum sound quality) and recreate some of the great lineups and other various and sundry announcements and admonishments. Add some echo and (very little) crowd noise in post-production to simulate the effect of being at the Stadium, and I think you'd have something every Yankee fan - well, I'd better change that because I'm not a Yankee fan I'm a Mets fan, so let's make it "every ballpark fan" - and I think you'd have something every ballpark fan would treasure.
          X

Comment

I watched Game 3 of the '78 Series on Yankees Classics tonight. It was a treat to see DiMag thow out the first pitch, but also to hear Bob Shepard's voice loud and clear introducing Joe D. It made me realize how Mr Shepards voice has changed with age.
            Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Originally posted by willisraverchk77 View Post
              Eddie was the second (organist at Yankee Stadium). Toby Wright was the first (1965-66)

This is a clipping from the 1966 Yankees Yearbook

Toby also was the Yankees organist from 1971-77.
              Welcome to the Fever, and thanks for the correct info.
              "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
              --Bob Feller

Comment

Here's an article about Shea Stadium organist Jane Jarvis, who was displaced by the recent crane accident:
                http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/22/ny.../22jarvis.html

Comment

Does anyone know that name of that little ditty Jane Jarvis played just before the Mets took the field each night? It seemed like the Mets waited until she got to a certain point in the verse just as they came out of the dugout each time.

Her renditions of Oh Canada, a few bridge notes she played next then the SSB was the best ever.

I'm glad to see she's OK. She's a great talent.

Comment

For those who live on the west coast and remember going to Dodger Games begining in the late 80's or 90's, you would hear Nancy B Hefley and the Dodger Stadium Baldwin organ. She still plays today, but very limited. Mr. McCourt is little by little phasing her out. As much as I am an Angels fan, I totally disagree with the ousting of Peggy Duquesnel. She used to be the stadium organist there, but apparently during the Disney era she was ousted. Rumor has it that Nancy B. Hefly plays at Angel Stadium while the Dodgers are on the road.

Comment

Jane Jarvis was at the Mets game yesterday and took down the number for the Shea countdown.

Comment

I have a high quality mp3 of Ernie Hayes playing "Here Comes The King' (Budweiser) at old Busch Stadium. When you listen to it you travel back in time and see Ozzie, Willie, and Whitey Herzog.....

PM me if you are interested....

Cheers,
                        Bryan
                        "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Originally posted by nymdan View Post
                          Jane Jarvis was at the Mets game yesterday and took down the number for the Shea countdown.
                          Gary mentioned on TV of Jane's version of "Let's Go Mets" but one thing I'd like to add here is that if you have the Essential Games of Shea DVD set, in game 4 of the 69 Series both that intro and PA man Jack Lightcap are all there for the listening.

Comment

Originally posted by driver62 View Post
                            I' heard that GABP plays organ music during Sunday games. I have no idea if it's live or recorded. Can someone verify this?
                            Jerry Frank supplies recorded Hammond B-3 organ sounds at Safeco.:cap:

Comment

Its a shame that, as far as I know, the Rays no longer use live organ music. One of the highlights of my childhood baseball memories was singing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" with Brad Trumbull on the organ.
                              1998 Inaugural Season
                              2008 AL Champions

Comment

Reviving this thread... elsewhere on the site I found this wonderful feature on former Expos organist Fernand Lapierre and I thought others would enjoy it:

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/clips/3284/

Once you get past the pretentious-sounding reporter it is a lot of fun. Lapierre embellished the game with lots of little sound bites throughout. He was great and added a lot to the atmosphere at Jarry Park and Olympic Stadium.

Also, you can find clips of him on YouTube playing both ballpark songs and other tunes... just search "Fernand Lapierre".

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X