• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Papa Bell, 1942

dc9c07w27giy.jpg
    Classic baseball and ballparks https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• Babe Ruth in action, 1921. Ruth would set then MLB records for HRs (59) and RBIs (168, career high) that season. Shoo-in for MVP, but the AL MVP wasn't instituted until 1922.

1921griffithruth.jpg

https://rmyauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=29092

Comment

• Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
        Babe Ruth in action, 1921. Ruth would set then MLB records for HRs (59) and RBIs (168, career high) that season. Shoo-in for MVP, but the AL MVP wasn't instituted until 1922.

1921griffithruth.jpg

https://rmyauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=29092
        If anyone gets a chance , you would enjoy reading this book. Mind boggling.

https://www.amazon.com/Year-Babe-Rut.../dp/0786719060

"In an unprecedented look at Babe Ruth's amazing batting power, sure to inspire debate among baseball fans of every stripe, one of the country's most respected and trusted baseball historians reveals the amazing conclusions of more than twenty years of research. Jenkinson takes readers through Ruth's 1921 season, in which his pattern of battled balls would have accounted for more than 100 home runs in today's ballparks and under today's rules. Yet, 1921 is just tip of the iceberg, for Jenkinson's research reveals that during an era of mammoth field dimensions Ruth hit more 450-plus-feet shots than anybody in history, and the conclusions one can draw are mind boggling"

Comment

• A new discovery uncovered by the sleuthing of Tom Shieber and his great Baseball Researcher blog and posted to his Twitter account, and a photo that is believed not to have been publicly shown before today -

The inaugural game at Griffith Stadium - Opening Day, Wednesday, April 12, 1911, with the Senators hosting the Boston Red Sox. President Taft was on hand to throw out the first pitch, and Washington prevailed, 8-5, on the strength of a 6-run 6th inning, in which they knocked Smoky Joe Wood out of the box, not helped by Boston's 6 errors on the day.

Wait, it doesn't look anything like Griffith you say? Well, it did in its first few weeks - after the March 17, 1911 fire that claimed the previous American League Park on the site, the club hurriedly built a new stadium, just in time; all seats were finished, but there was no time to build any cover or roofing over the grandstand by Opening Day.

Griffith was not fully completed until late July 1911, while the Senators were away on a long road trip. Another interesting tidbit is that the diamond itself was moved closer to the grandstand for the July "reopening"; it wasn't even in it's permanent place in April.

Be sure to follow the links above for the research involved and story behind the festivities.

griffith41211.jpeg

Crop of left side
          griffith41211crop1.jpg

Crop of right side
          griffith41211crop2.jpg

-----

Comment

• That just adds to the confusion of this photo I found only identified as "Crowd at a professional baseball game ca. 1911." Per the Washington Post signboard, leafless trees, scoreboard matchups, and bottom of the 3rd score, this has to be April 12, 1911 at Griffith stadium, right? But the LF wall doesn't correspond to any early images of Washington Senator fields I've seen. Maybe the LF matchups are an out-of-town scoreboard? What other field would advertise the Washington Post then?

Edit: The player in left field appears to be wearing two-tone stockings which weren't worn by Boston until the 1910 season. His ballcap is colorless and his jersey is short-sleeved so he doesn't play for the 1911 Senators (Washington is the home team per the scoreboard). Also, the player is RH which correlates to Boston's lineup on April 12, 1911 of Duffy Lewis.

Griffith Stadium c1911APR12.png

al_1911_boston.gifal_1911_washington.gif
            Last edited by the_mad_monk; 04-12-2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Don't think this was posted. Never seen this angle in color. gettyimages-84623789-2048x2048.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by tdinan View Post
                Don't think this was posted. Never seen this angle in color.
                Looks like the type of picture I'd take. But what part of the stadium are we looking at?

X
                What's THAT guy doing?
                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

Looks like the type of picture I'd take. But what part of the stadium are we looking at?
                  The exterior, taken from the parking lot located behind home plate/slightly to the 1B side.

Comment

• Any additional pictures like this one? So few in color of ballparks such as Griffith.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3rdGenCub View Post
                      Any additional pictures like this one? So few in color of ballparks such as Griffith.
                      Sure...here is a similar shot, taken from a slightly different angle. This is the entrance located outside the 1B/RF line, just a little further south of the previous color shot:
                      Griff.JPG

Comment

• They sure used a lot of steel to make sure those light towers were sturdy.

Comment

• Thank you! To go back in time and visit Griffith Stadium. In the first photo, I assume the area on the upper left with windows is the press box. It looks like there is a set of stairs leading to a path on the roof to what I assume is the radio/tv booths. In the second photo, I wonder if the flag in the right of the picture is for the 1924 WS championship. It's a shame there is so little information about this ball park. Does anyone know of any good books about Griffith Stadium?

Comment

• Originally posted by alpineinc
                            Nice set from the 1920's, maybe 1930's - the first photo has both Gehrig and Ruth sitting in the dugout - this photo was used in the Ken Burns documentary.

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":3457080}

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":3457081}

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":3457082}

This may be the Indian's Dick Porter, 1929-1933 era

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":3457083}

https://lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=67652

These pics appear to be taken in League Park (Cleveland). The 1920 left field bleacher extension, dugout configuration and short foul pole (amongst other things) are quite prominent.

Comment

• I thought I had brought this up before, but maybe it was somewhere else. There was the hottest drop-dead gorgeous female of about 20-25 years of age that worked at the ice cream concession at Griffith Stadium in the late 1950's. She looked like a prettier version of the famous actress Paulette Goddard, and her perfume made the 8 and 9 year old version of me realize that girls were really nice to be around. I think I ate more ice cream at Griffith Stadium than I had Dodger Dogs in all the years I was at Dodger Stadium (Sorry Farmer John).

I guess she must have liked me, because one day, she gave me extra ice cream. I remember the last time I was there that season, it was probably late July or early August. There were maybe 15,000 in the park, and the Senators had been around the point of contending until the all-star break, about 7 or 8 games out, but then they started to lose, lose, lose. They lost about 16 or 17 in a row heading into the second all-star break, and it was just after the 2nd all-star game that I saw the original Senators play at Griffith for the last time.

Early Wynn was pitching for the Chicago White Sox, and the Chisox were in first place this late in the year for the first time in a long time. The Senators were done for the year, and they had little fight. It was a blowout win, and Wynn pitched a shutout.

My uncle was scouting somebody that day, and he was hoping to see another player pinch hit, so we had to stay for the entire game. Being 8 years old, the game wasn't that interesting, so I went to the ice cream concession. They were closing the concessions as the game would end soon, and I knew that this was my uncle's last season scouting and maybe my last time to see my baseball goddess.

I caught her putting stuff away and about ready to leave for the day, and I went up to her and hugged her and told her I would not be back to Washington any more, and she kissed me on the cheek.

If you Google, Paulette Goddard, you will see many images of her. This is the one that looked the most like Ice Cream Girl:

http://projects.latimes.com/hollywoo...lette-goddard/

Comment

• Originally posted by PowerAlley21 View Post

These pics appear to be taken in League Park (Cleveland). The 1920 left field bleacher extension, dugout configuration and short foul pole (amongst other things) are quite prominent.
                                Much obliged, PowerAlley, you are correct. Photos have been posted in the League Park / Dunn Field thread.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X