Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shea Stadium model

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shea Stadium model

    Hi all- I posted a couple of these on Saturday in the Shea Stadium demolition thread, but I figured it would be better to show updates in a new thread.

    Here is the progress that I wanted to share on a model of Shea Stadium that will depict the year 1964.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    awsome!!!!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Looking great!
      New York Mets Fan. Baseball Card Dork.

      Favorite All-Time Mets:

      Photobucket

      I'll always miss Shea Stadium. Memories from one's childhood can never be replaced or duplicated in said persons adulthood.

      Comment


      • #4
        what is it made out of? ive always been wanting to make a stadium like this. Because one day i want to be a sports stadium architect.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by davidthecornman View Post
          what is it made out of? ive always been wanting to make a stadium like this. Because one day i want to be a sports stadium architect.

          The base is plywood (24"x24"), 1/4" foam board for the main supports, and a combination of balsa and bass wood. This does not include the material for what will be the seats, scoreboard, etc. I'm deciding on a couple of options right now. This biggest challenge with this model is how to properly replicate the blue and orange paneling that used to be on the exterior. Everything is hand cut and takes a lot of patience. My Ipod comes into good use while I work on it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Astros View Post
            The base is plywood (24"x24"), 1/4" foam board for the main supports, and a combination of balsa and bass wood. This does not include the material for what will be the seats, scoreboard, etc. Everything is hand cut and takes a lot of patience.
            Just out of curiosity, have you ever constructed a model of a non-circular stadium?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mrakbaseball View Post
              Just out of curiosity, have you ever constructed a model of a non-circular stadium?
              Yes, but never kept them. I did a couple of smaller concept ballparks and once I did a mock-up of Minute Maid Park. I was considering doing more ballparks down the line if time permitted.

              Comment


              • #8
                are the materials alot of money? i was looking to do a shea stadium model, not as big though, for my sports marketing class stadium projects. how do you go about getting everything to the right scale and stuff? also, im very tight on time since i have school all day and then work at night and weekends and im preparing for college right now, so does building a model take a very long time? im not looking to see concorses and have individual seats or anything. i just wasnt to make a basic shea stadium as it stood on its last day on 9/28/08. thank you. also i cant wait to see the finished model, looking good so far. if you built the astrodome model, then im really impressed and give props to you for such a good job.
                Lets Go Mets, Jets, Islanders !!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  This really is an amazing project.

                  Care to share some of the background as to what made you decide to build it? I am guessing by your avitar, that you are a 'stros fan, correct?

                  also, once finished, would it be possible for you to do various renovations, like with the real shea?
                  New York Mets Fan. Baseball Card Dork.

                  Favorite All-Time Mets:

                  Photobucket

                  I'll always miss Shea Stadium. Memories from one's childhood can never be replaced or duplicated in said persons adulthood.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GuitarPunk2512 View Post
                    are the materials alot of money? i was looking to do a shea stadium model, not as big though, for my sports marketing class stadium projects. how do you go about getting everything to the right scale and stuff? also, im very tight on time since i have school all day and then work at night and weekends and im preparing for college right now, so does building a model take a very long time? im not looking to see concorses and have individual seats or anything. i just wasnt to make a basic shea stadium as it stood on its last day on 9/28/08. thank you. also i cant wait to see the finished model, looking good so far. if you built the astrodome model, then im really impressed and give props to you for such a good job.
                    I already had some of the materials, but most of them are not very expensive. The foam core was $1.99, the glue that holds it all together was $.88, the playwood base was about $4. Large amounts of supplies are not necessarily needed for a project like this. I will have to invest in more materials for the seating levels, but that should also be minimal. I already had the balsa and basswood, which can go a long way when you're making a smaller model. What you see in the photos was done over a two day period. The floor plan was done a couple of weeks ago. I just didn't have enough time to start the other work. The foam board cutting takes the longest, and most patience. Thanks for the compliments.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
                      This really is an amazing project.

                      Care to share some of the background as to what made you decide to build it? I am guessing by your avitar, that you are a 'stros fan, correct?

                      also, once finished, would it be possible for you to do various renovations, like with the real shea?
                      Thanks. I had been thinking about doing one of these for a while, but had been busy with my 1965 Astrodome. My final visit to Shea Stadium this year really finalized the decision for me to go ahead with it.

                      Yes, I am an Astros fan, but also have great appreciation for other teams and their stadiums.

                      Yes, this model would be able to display renovation work done over the years if I ever decided to change it. I decided to make the 1964 version because it was brand new and fresh and had a look very reminiscent of its time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GuitarPunk2512 View Post
                        are the materials alot of money? i was looking to do a shea stadium model, not as big though, for my sports marketing class stadium projects. how do you go about getting everything to the right scale and stuff? also, im very tight on time since i have school all day and then work at night and weekends and im preparing for college right now, so does building a model take a very long time? im not looking to see concorses and have individual seats or anything. i just wasnt to make a basic shea stadium as it stood on its last day on 9/28/08. thank you. also i cant wait to see the finished model, looking good so far. if you built the astrodome model, then im really impressed and give props to you for such a good job.
                        Sorry, I overlooked your question regarding setting a good scale for the model. Setting up a good cross section of the stadium is the first thing. Then I examined construction photos and early shots of Shea. There is a lot of geometry involved. Once I have the proper cross section (elevation), then I laid out the floor plan and marked aisle patterns.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          so are you gonna paint it blue because shea in 64 was white. its looking good though you are one step closer than I am. right now im designing my own stadium using sketchup first. I did the bottom half of the park but its mind bottling (lol) I took some time away to think of some concepts. but you inspire me. good job dude
                          Attached Files
                          http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...6078886&ref=ts
                          follow me on twitter
                          https://twitter.com/reemowilliams

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BronxMetFan View Post
                            so are you gonna paint it blue because shea in 64 was white. its looking good though you are one step closer than I am. right now im designing my own stadium using sketchup first. I did the bottom half of the park but its mind bottling (lol) I took some time away to think of some concepts. but you inspire me. good job dude
                            Thanks! It will look like that photo you posted. There will be no large amounts of blue nor neon players on the outside. My biggest challenge is replicating the old blue and orange panels on the outside that will compliment the model and give a point of accuracy. I just may have to wind up placing every panel! That will take a lot of patience and time, but we will see. It will probably be the last thing I do on the model.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have a question. I understand the materials you use. But how do you secure the foamcore to the wood?

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X